C
Posted By
CygnusX1
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This summer, our photo dept will be accepting digital shot images from photographers (nationwide) this will be 99% of them coming in.

I use ColorMatch RGB (always have) so should I tell them to tag whatever the camera embeds ? they are all using Nikon or Canon digital SLR’s. Would I be better off getting untagged files or an Adobe RGB tag file which is common with these cameras.

Any advise is appreciated.
These will be worked on in Photoshop CS and will all be going to press where the RGB files will be converted to CMYK by yours truly.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 17, 2004
Tagged is best.

If they look good to your satisfaction on your calibrated color managed system and still look good converted to your profiled press, everything should be just fine.
C
CygnusX1
Feb 17, 2004
Excellent, very much the info I need to know.

thanks
CS
Cory_Shubert
Feb 17, 2004
Well, you may have two groups submitting images, those that shoot in the color space the camera’s offer, and those that have custom ICC camera profiles. Group 1 and 2 can be managed by you the same way, just tell them to shoot in Adobe98 and submit files that have been converted to Adobe98 via PS, or whatever image editing application they use. The custom profile group will embed their profile upon uploading to their computer or when imported into PS, then converted to the working space, Adobe98, that you want them in.

The custom profile folks may want your CMYK profile so they can do the converting, or softproffing to get their files spot on before sending. Or they may want to profile your output device so their CMYK conversion is on. I guess that depends on how far you want to offer the "olive branch" to those that want the control of their files, and not left up to others.

Good luck,

Cory Shubert
www.pixelagogo.com
C
CygnusX1
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks Cory,

I think that they will all be sending in RGB files and the conversion will take place here based on our press vendors profiles.
If some request that info for soft proofing I’d gladly tell them what they need.

This could be an adventure of sorts since we are going 100% digital, but many are experienced photographers with good digital knowledge.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 17, 2004
Not to be too off topic, but a book you might want to examine called America 24/7 shows a ton of photos done strictly in digital from a slew of photographers from around the nation both amateur and pro. The book gives capture, color management and printing specs as well.

Talk about inconsistency. Some were very high quality and some printed with compression artifacts including abrupt granulated shadow transitions. I believe the book indicated all images were tagged in Adobe RGB.
C
CygnusX1
Feb 18, 2004
Yes I’ve heard of the book.
This was a nationwide project and it was every one and anyone who had a digital camera could submit.
The use of Adobe RGB is because it is the most common default space for most if not all consumer level cameras. I’v always like the look of ColorMatch when working in RGB in Photoshop, not sure why but it looks good to me.
Thanks, I’ll look into the book, actually been meaning to get it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections