Posted By
Roberto
Jul 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going.

If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0 plug-ins) please sign the petition. It is at:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/kaispowertools/

Thanks,

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

W
Waterspider
Jul 5, 2007
"Somebody" wrote in message
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going.
If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0 plug-ins) please sign the petition. It is at:

Thanks,

Robert
Do you really think Corel will be impressed with a petition signed by Adobe users?
RM
RC Moonpie
Jul 5, 2007
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:47:33 -0700, "Waterspider" wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Robert
Do you really think Corel will be impressed with a petition signed by Adobe users?

thats funny.

too bad tho, KPT was geat stuff, especially the old Vector Effects
R
Roberto
Jul 5, 2007
"Waterspider" wrote in message
Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

A. They bought them products.
B. Painter and Paint Shop Pro use Photoshop Plug-ins.
C. Photoshop plug-ins like it or not are the standard and are used by more programs than any other format.

So yes. Besides it can’t hurt. If Corel sees there is a market they just might do it.

Somebody!
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 6, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0
plug-ins) please sign the petition. It is at:

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.
If they see an opportunity to make a profit, then they’re likely to respond favourably to it.
That’s why they’re a successfull company.

http://www.norfolklupus.co.uk
http://www.thebooknook.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40919519@N00/
W
Waterspider
Jul 6, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote in message
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.
If they see an opportunity to make a profit, then they’re likely to respond favourably to it.
Because they’re a successful company, if the idea seems profitable, they would have already done it, yes?
I suspect it’s got more to do with the cost of licensing, in which case one would be better off to petition KPT.
R
Roberto
Jul 8, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.
Because they’re a successful company, if the idea seems profitable, they would have already done it, yes?
I suspect it’s got more to do with the cost of licensing, in which case one would be better off to petition KPT.

What are you talking about. Corel owns KPT. Petition KPT what are you talking about? You want to petition the plug-ins to update themselves?

Somebody!
S
Skinner1
Jul 8, 2007
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:47:33 -0700, "Waterspider" wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

What’s it going to hurt?
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 8, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been
waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.

Not necesarilly.
They may not be aware that a market exists.

Let me give you an example.
Once upon a time, your humble supermarket would only sell food, groceries, cleaning stuff, and frozen goods.
But nowadays in your local supermarket, you can buy TV’s, get your photos developed, have a bunch of flowers delivered to your wife, buy insurance. Supermarkets now run their own ISP’s (mine is an example), offer their own credit cards, and some even allow you to pay utility bills over the counter.

Now, at some point in their history, while they were just selling food and groceries, they realised that there were other potential markets out there which represented a profit to them.
So if the idea seemed profitable to them, why did they wait so long to realise it? Why had they not already done it?

You get where I’m coming from?

Kai was bought out by Corel long ago.
It’s not uncommon for manufaturers of a programme to release a 3rd party plugin for a rival application, allowing some of their functionality in that rival application.

In fact it makes good business sense.
Think about it.

You’ve just spent
W
Waterspider
Jul 8, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.

What are you talking about. Corel owns KPT. Petition KPT what are you talking about? You want to petition the plug-ins to update themselves?
I wasn’t aware that Corel owns KPT.
Note to self: Don’t take it personally; Somebody! is obviously having a bad day 😉
W
Waterspider
Jul 8, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote:
"Fat Sam" wrote…
Waterspider wrote:
"Somebody" wrote…
Hello,
I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update, create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been
waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0
Thanks,
Robert

Don’t see why not.

Not necesarilly.
They may not be aware that a market exists.
Let me give you an example.
Once upon a time, your humble supermarket would only sell food, groceries, cleaning stuff, and frozen goods.
But nowadays in your local supermarket, you can buy TV’s, get your photos developed, have a bunch of flowers delivered to your wife, buy insurance. Supermarkets now run their own ISP’s (mine is an example), offer their own credit cards, and some even allow you to pay utility bills over the counter.
Now, at some point in their history, while they were just selling food and groceries, they realised that there were other potential markets out there which represented a profit to them.
So if the idea seemed profitable to them, why did they wait so long to realise it? Why had they not already done it?
You get where I’m coming from?

Kai was bought out by Corel long ago.
It’s not uncommon for manufaturers of a programme to release a 3rd party plugin for a rival application, allowing some of their functionality in that rival application.
In fact it makes good business sense.
Think about it.
You’ve just spent
R
Roberto
Jul 8, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.

Note to self: Don’t take it personally; Somebody! is obviously having a bad day 😉

Well, do you really think I would petition a company to do something with a product they don’t own? Corel bought KPT, Painter, Bryce and a few other things from MetaCreations when they went belly up. Bryce however, Corel sold.

Somebody!
W
Waterspider
Jul 8, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update,
create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0

Thanks,

Robert

Don’t see why not.

Well, do you really think I would <snip>

Okay, okay, okay… calm down, willya? Your point was made and I acknowledged it. Let me add that I am sorry I upset you.
FK
Father Kodak
Jul 8, 2007
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:37:14 GMT, "Fat Sam"

Now, we’ve already said they’re a successfull company, and they didn’t get to be that way by turning away customers and losing profits. So they decide something must be done. They’re losing a potentially huge market share to the Adobe corporation.

Actually I don’t think that Corel is a very successful corporation. They have done a whole bunch of software acquisitions that turned out to be very unprofitable, starting with WordPerfect, which now has low single digit market share. Guess who has most of the rest?

So they get onto their programmers and instruct them to decompile the original application and break it up into it’s individual tools, then re-compile each of those tools into a plugin which can be installed into Photoshop.

Assuming that they were not total idiots, then they got the source code when they acquired the program. They don’t need to "decompile," they need to restructure the code, but that assumes it was well-written and not just "spaghetti," which is often the case.

They can’t add any new features, or even make the existing program compatible with say Vista or OS X without the source code. Of course, if the existing code is a big jumble of "spaghetti," then that may be an insurmountable barrier to any changes in the program.

Father Kodak
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 8, 2007
Father Kodak wrote:

Now, we’ve already said they’re a successfull company, and they didn’t get to be that way by turning away customers and losing profits. So they decide something must be done. They’re losing a potentially huge market share to the Adobe corporation.

Actually I don’t think that Corel is a very successful corporation.

Okay, put it this way.
Going by their accounts. they’re arguably more succesfull than any of the businesses I’ve run.
But then that wouldn’t be difficult.
W
Waterspider
Jul 8, 2007
"Father Kodak" wrote …

Actually I don’t think that Corel is a very successful corporation.

If you’re talking professional graphic design, it seems that Corel is second only to Adobe. That sounds pretty darn successful to me.
R
Roberto
Jul 9, 2007
Waterspider wrote:
Hello,

I have started a Petition to try and get Corel Corporation to update,
create a new interface and release ALL of the Kai’s PowerTools plug-ins in one package and at an affordable price. I have been waiting and hoping that Corel would do something with these plug-ins
and nothing has happened. I am hoping that this petition will get them going. If you would like to see Kai’s PowerTools updated (including the 3.0

Thanks,

Robert
Do you really think Corel will be impressed with a petition signed by
Adobe users?

Don’t see why not.

Well, do you really think I would <snip>

Okay, okay, okay… calm down, willya? Your point was made and I acknowledged it. Let me add that I am sorry I upset you.

Your the one that seems to think I have a problem. I don’t. I am just providing information. No attitude or anything less.

Somebody!
R
Roberto
Jul 9, 2007
"Father Kodak" wrote in message

Now, we’ve already said they’re a successfull company, and they didn’t get to be that way by turning away customers and losing profits. So they decide
something must be done. They’re losing a potentially huge market share to the Adobe corporation.

Actually I don’t think that Corel is a very successful corporation. They have done a whole bunch of software acquisitions that turned out to be very unprofitable, starting with WordPerfect, which now has low single digit market share. Guess who has most of the rest?
So they get onto their programmers and instruct them to decompile the original application and break it up into it’s individual tools, then re-compile each of those tools into a plugin which can be installed into Photoshop.

Assuming that they were not total idiots, then they got the source code when they acquired the program. They don’t need to "decompile," they need to restructure the code, but that assumes it was well-written and not just "spaghetti," which is often the case.
They can’t add any new features, or even make the existing program compatible with say Vista or OS X without the source code. Of course, if the existing code is a big jumble of "spaghetti," then that may be an insurmountable barrier to any changes in the program.
Father Kodak

Corel does just fine. WordPerfect is used a lot in the legal world. The problem is that by the time Corel has bought something it was already in trouble. I think Corel needs to be commended for keeping products that would have otherwise be dead by now. WordPerfect Corporation killed WordPerfect years ago by not being able to get a viable Windows version out. Had the done so Microsoft Word would be the one little used today. Also, allowing themselves to be purchased by a network company like Novell was just the final nail in the market share coffin. Corel has done a fine job with updates to WordPerfect as well as other products. The Jasc products as well as the Ulead products have not lost any market share because of Corel. The products are what they are and will be what they have been.

Somebody!
FK
Father Kodak
Jul 9, 2007
Corel does just fine. WordPerfect is used a lot in the legal world. The

which is a tiny, tiny sliver of the overall corporate market for office products.

problem is that by the time Corel has bought something it was already in trouble. I think Corel needs to be commended for keeping products that would

then why oh why would someone buy them? THAT in itself usually indicates poor judgment. It is very, very unusual to reverse a software market share decline, notably when you’re competing with Microsoft.

These days, venture capitalists won’t fund most new companies if MS is either a competitor or potential competitor. I’m sure there are exceptions, as there are to any "rule" in business, but they only provide hate point.

As for Corel being a successful company, check out this news story:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2114522/corel-denies-ms-fo rced-linux-shift

have otherwise be dead by now. WordPerfect Corporation killed WordPerfect years ago by not being able to get a viable Windows version out. Had the done so Microsoft Word would be the one little used today. Also, allowing themselves to be purchased by a network company like Novell was just the final nail in the market share coffin. Corel has done a fine job with

Possibly true. Novell itself tried to compete in the office arena against MS and failed miserably. In Novell’s case, their market share began to decline with Windows 2000 server, and NetWare is all but forgotten these days, as is Novell itself.

Father Kodak

updates to WordPerfect as well as other products. The Jasc products as well as the Ulead products have not lost any market share because of Corel. The products are what they are and will be what they have been.
Somebody!
K
KatWoman
Jul 10, 2007
Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

I am curious what features of Kai’s you are missing??
the only thing I ever used it for was liquefying and now that is in PS built in
and Kai’s was limited to only bitmap format images
and made huge files if you saved as avi movies
S
SpaceGirl
Jul 13, 2007
On Jul 10, 7:39 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Robert

I am curious what features of Kai’s you are missing??
the only thing I ever used it for was liquefying and now that is in PS built in
and Kai’s was limited to only bitmap format images
and made huge files if you saved as avi movies

I can’t think of a single thing I miss from Kai… it was a bit of a gimmick package IMO. I had it in CS1 I think? I can’t remember… anyway I removed it and never reinstalled… since moving to an Apple platform I’d totally forgotten the thing existed until I read this thread!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections