Posted By
Mary
Jul 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I am a bit of a newbie with Photoshop but can do the basics.

I need to create sand for a book cover I want to design. Ideally I would like to airbrush the sand on top of another image.

Is this at all possible? Do I have any other options?

Any help appreciated

Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
keepout
Jul 3, 2007
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:14:01 +0100, Mary wrote:

Hi

I need to create sand for a book cover I want to design. Ideally I would like to airbrush the sand on top of another image.

noise, play with it till you have the texture you want.

more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 3, 2007
Mary wrote:
Hi

Any help appreciated

Set up a new layer above the one you want to airbrush the sand onto. Now select a nice sandy colour for your foreground colour. Using your brush tool on a nice soft edged setting, paint in the sand where you want it to be.
Once your happy with that, copy the entire layer into a new layer, so you have 2 identical layers, one directly above the other.
Apply noise to both layers. Use Gaussian and monochrome in the noise settings and play with teh slider until you get a natural granular effect. Use the same noise settings for both layers.
Now move and offset the top layer a little bit to the right and downwards. Next set the blending mode on this layer to "Linear Burn". This will create a 3d effect and give the pile of sand some depth. Use the fill slider on the top layer to blend and adjust the starkness of the shadow.

You should end up with something that looks a bit like this. http://www.norfolklupusgroup.co.uk/misc/sand.jpg

Lastly, as a final touch, paste in a few seashells or pebbles from other pictures to complete the effect.
W
Waterspider
Jul 3, 2007
"Mary" wrote in message
Hi

I need to create sand for a book cover I want to design. Ideally I would like to airbrush the sand on top of another image. Is this at all possible? Do I have any other options?
Any help appreciated
Hi Mary,

I remember how overwhelming Photoshop was to me in the beginning, and I have to admit that it still has its moments. That’s why it’s such a great program; there’s *sooo* much to it.

But, at least not yet, there isn’t a Create Sand button. You’ll have to start with something, an image or a solid colour, and apply techniques until you get the effect you want. Try everything, play with the settings for each filter effect, experiment with every tool/effect you use. This will help you become more familiar with your software, and it will help you learn how to accomplish the effects you want.

If you’re really stuck, and on a deadline, there are a number of companies that sell backgrounds and effects for Photoshop. I’ve not used any but have seen many advertised; maybe someone else can recommend one.

Good luck,

Waterspider
————
visit www.penderharbour.org
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 3, 2007
Talker wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:46:27 -0700, "Waterspider" wrote:

If you’re really stuck, and on a deadline, there are a number of companies that sell backgrounds and effects for Photoshop. I’ve not used any but have seen many advertised; maybe someone else can recommend one.

Good luck,

Waterspider

That would be my solution also…..either try to find a picture of sand on the Net, or take a picture of sand yourself. Since you have an idea of how you’d want the sand to look, it would be easy to buy a bag of sand (or use a kid’s sandbox) and using a digital camera on a tripod, position it so that the sand is the correct distance from the camera to give you the granular size of the sand that you need.
Talker

Or cover your scanner with cling-film, a sheet of clear polythene, or a pane of glass, then pour sand onto it and scan it.
You’ll then have an A4 sized area of sand which you can put in a layer over your book cover, and erase the bits where you want the book to shine through.
W
Waterspider
Jul 3, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote in message
Talker wrote:

Good luck,

Waterspider

That would be my solution also…..either try to find a picture of sand on the Net, or take a picture of sand yourself. Since you have an idea of how you’d want the sand to look, it would be easy to buy a bag of sand (or use a kid’s sandbox) and using a digital camera on a tripod, position it so that the sand is the correct distance from the camera to give you the granular size of the sand that you need.
Talker

Or cover your scanner with cling-film, a sheet of clear polythene, or a pane of glass, then pour sand onto it and scan it.
You’ll then have an A4 sized area of sand which you can put in a layer over your book cover, and erase the bits where you want the book to shine through.
Cool idea! The scan might be risky if you have cats though 😉
T
Talker
Jul 3, 2007

Good luck,

Waterspider

Talker
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 3, 2007

[re simulating sand]
You should end up with something that looks a bit like this. http://www.norfolklupusgroup.co.uk/misc/sand.jpg

Lastly, as a final touch, paste in a few seashells or pebbles from other pictures to complete the effect.

Now that’s getting down to the nitty gritty. Very nice, FS! —
Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
W
Waterspider
Jul 4, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote
Now that’s getting down to the nitty gritty.

Very punny.
A
Avery
Jul 4, 2007
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:28:16 GMT, "Fat Sam"
wrote:

Mary wrote:
Hi

Any help appreciated

Set up a new layer above the one you want to airbrush the sand onto. Now select a nice sandy colour for your foreground colour. Using your brush tool on a nice soft edged setting, paint in the sand where you want it to be.
Once your happy with that, copy the entire layer into a new layer, so you have 2 identical layers, one directly above the other.
Apply noise to both layers. Use Gaussian and monochrome in the noise settings and play with teh slider until you get a natural granular effect. Use the same noise settings for both layers.
Now move and offset the top layer a little bit to the right and downwards. Next set the blending mode on this layer to "Linear Burn". This will create a 3d effect and give the pile of sand some depth. Use the fill slider on the top layer to blend and adjust the starkness of the shadow.

What a great little tutorial!
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 4, 2007
Mike Russell wrote:

[re simulating sand]

Now that’s getting down to the nitty gritty. Very nice, FS!

Cheers Mike.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 4, 2007
Avery wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:28:16 GMT, "Fat Sam"
wrote:

Mary wrote:
Hi

Any help appreciated

Once your happy with that, copy the entire layer into a new layer, so you have 2 identical layers, one directly above the other. Apply noise to both layers. Use Gaussian and monochrome in the noise settings and play with teh slider until you get a natural granular effect. Use the same noise settings for both layers.

What a great little tutorial!

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections