AW
Posted By
Allen_Wicks
Aug 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a Mac user, unfamiliar with Windows. A class that I am involved with at our local (small, in-the-mountains) Junior College is scheduled to include CS versions of PS and Illy as well as Painter version 8. The graphics software has not been installed yet, but when I check the Dell towers in the computer lab they show 256 MB of RAM on board, Win XP. I don’t know whether WinXP has the SP2 patch or not.

I would never dream of trying to run any major graphics app and Mac OS X under only 256 MB of RAM, let alone Creative Suite apps. Has anyone successfully done so with Win XP? Student projects reportedly will be small, less than 70 MB file size.

Any comments are appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 30, 2004
PS will load, but don’t expect miracles from filters etc. I get "not enough RAM" messages with 2GB of RAM.

512 would be an absolute minimum, I reckon. 18MB is a small file on the Dark Side. 70MB would be a medium sized file.

Fred.
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 30, 2004
Even under Win2k and Photoshop 7, I thought 512 MB was minimally effective. Doesn’t sound like a good experience with that setup.

:-~

Brent
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 30, 2004
Allen,

They will run fine with files that size. As cheap as memory is though you might as well add another 256 to each workstation just to speed things up.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 30, 2004
If it runs at all I doubt if the college district will spend any money upgrading RAM at this point in the semester. Even though RAM is cheap they have to multiply the cost times 24 stations. My guess would be that with the OS wanting RAM and PS wanting RAM either platform would page to disk a lot, making for some very slow operation. We will see I guess; last week I made the recommendation for more RAM but I am not holding my breath.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 31, 2004
Allan,

Don’t worry too much about it. As long as they don’t plan on having large files open in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Painter all at the same time.

We were in a purchasing freeze a while back and I had to do some work with 10′ x 10′ backdrops for trade show booths. I did a lot of the work on a PIII 800, XP Pro and it only had 256 MB of ram. Saving the file took a little bit of time, 5 minutes or more sometimes, but everything else went pretty well.

The work they should be doing even in an advanced class will only be limited by the speed of the user.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections