Posted By
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Someone tell me why I shouldn’t by
this < http://www.dealtime.com/GS2/GS2StatReDirect/?sourceid=004026 19058423532801&Operator=2&linkin_id=3032000&keyw ord=epson%203100z&bNewUser=1> camera. I do own the Epson 785epx photo printer to go with it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi: One reason would be that you can get a Canon G3 with true 4 megapixel (not 3.3 MP interpolated) images for the same money….and probably a few others.

I also feel like you the companies that have been in the camera business for decades know the most about making cameras….(e.g., Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta) but that’s just an impression.

What does Steve’s Digicam say about the Epson?

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, Chuck is right.
Stick to the brands mentioned; they know how to build a camera, because a camera isn’t just a bundle of specs.

Moreover, AFAIK this camera has been introduced about 18 months ago. The lifecycle of digital cameras at the moment is about 3 years. After these 3 years there have been so many serious improvements (like improved exposure latitude), you definitely want to buy a new one.

Leen
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Leen . ya you are right. been out for a while, I’ll wait for the next version. No rush
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, what’s your interest in an Epson camera? Compatibility with the printer? You know that it’s highly unlikely that you’d ever take an image directly from camera to printer without some form of touch-up… Once you make the decision to edit before printing, the camera-printer relationship is pretty much out the window…

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Chuck, I don’t edit all of my photographs. I barely ever edit my photographs…unless i just want to play with filters. I understand the PIM will no longer be of value once the picture is marked in any way. Personally, I just liked the camera. I also like the fuji FinePix S602. ‘ Fuji’ …another name in Photography that rarely gets mentioned…and should ! So, honestly though, if I were rich i’d have quite the camera collection.
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, would you buy a car made by Epson or Casio?
Such a car would come from the same folks that produce Toyota and Honda.

I don’t buy a Big Mac either because its origin is the same as Coca Cola and Adobe. (BTW, I don’t buy Big Macs at all, I prefer food)

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, I agree – Fuji has made the ‘hit parade’ with their digital SLR’s and 602; put them on the short list.

I edit virtually every picture I take, because they all can stand a little contrast and brightness adjustment because of the way I underexpose them to avoid blowing out highlights. Now if a digicam ever comes out with very high exposure latitude, maybe I could change my ways. But for now, the very least any of my images get is Auto Contrast.

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 22, 2003
Chuck, the new Fuji chip with the wider exposure latitude is excellent. I’m eagerly waiting for a S3 with the same chip.
Just like you, I always underexpose my images about half a stop. Even the images from these new Fuji cameras benefit from this.

Jodi, this a little technical discussion about the merits of equipment isn’t just like "mens talk" about "the latest cars, football and big boobs" at birthday parties.
This is serious!

Leen
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Either way, you have already talked me out of it due to the amount of time it’s already been on the market. Although I would have no problems with purchasing the next version. Judging by the reviews it is in deed a good camera…despite it’s non-name brand.

<http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/3100z.html>

If i dig deep enough i could probably find out the identity of the true maker…give me some time.
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Epson America Inc. is clearly one of the leading companies in the digital photography marketplace, thanks to its longstanding position as the number one color inkjet printer manufacturer. While Epson’s digital cameras hold a less dominant position than its color printers, they have consistently delivered the same high-quality performance that the printer line is known for, and this latest addition to the PhotoPC digital line clearly demonstrates the technical excellence and ingenuity that is synonymous with the Epson name.

Over the years, Epson digital cameras have evolved from simple point-and-shoot digicams, intended for the pure consumer market, to increasingly sophisticated models offering exposure and creative controls designed for the high-end prosumer and serious amateur markets. The PhotoPC 3100Z not only offers maximum versatility, but it also marks the first generation camera to actually bridge the image quality standards between Epson digital cameras and printers, by incorporating Epson’s recently announced PRINT Image Matching Technology (February 2001). According to Epson, this new technology ensures optimum print reproduction by establishing critical image-specific printing parameters, such as gamma level, color space, contrast, sharpness, saturation, and highlight and shadow detail, right in the camera. The ultimate goal being to perfectly balance the two sides of the pixel-to-print workflow. While it isn’t really possible to show the results in a web-based review, we discovered that PRINT Image Matching produced significant improvements in flesh tones and certain highly-saturated colors. – Definitely a step forward for digicam printing.
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
On the other hand, a company that has a name like Epson would not put its brand on a bad product, I don’t think so.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, you wrote that so beautifully!!

😉

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
Chuck, please. 😉

I’ve been on for the last hour digging up as much as I could on Epson digital cameras. It’s amazing how much is out there.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 22, 2003
Jodi, what do they say about the next generation of Epson cameras? If they’re going to replace the ones they put out two to three years ago, that would be good; if not, that would be of concern….

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 22, 2003
The only one still on the ‘new’ market is the 3100z. All others are in the archives although all accessories are still available. I suspect the newer version will be around the corner.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Jodi, you may be right, although I wonder if the digicam market is poised for a shakeout; too many models chasing the customer base. Will be interesting to see whether the non-traditional camera companies continue as players.

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Jodi, then the answer is simple: buy a non-Epson camera that’s PIM compatible!

🙂

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2003
They obviously have a longer product cycle than the average camera maker! – Canon went from the G3 to the G5 in not much over six months – and other manufacturers seem to do sinilar things. Do Epson actually make their own cameras? -even the well known manufacurers use other people’s sensors and a lot f the peripheral camera manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic etc) use bought in lenses. It looks a little underfeatured for the price – only a three x optical zoom and 3MPixel- i don’t call interpolation higher resolution! . If you can get it a a better price as it’s an old model it would be OK assuming it has a decent lens. It does have some attractive features – hot shoe, adaptor included for filters (most brands you need to pay extra) fast lens: but it is a bit old. (might actually be worth looking around for one second hand if you like the feature set and want something that will tie in to your printer). Pesonally, having used a camera with a flip out screen, I would not now settle for anything else!
SusanS
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 23, 2003
Goodmorning Susan, yes you’ve made some clever points. I’m waiting. Just needed some feedback to help me clear my mind.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Jodi, I have nothing against Epson printers; I’ve had an Epson laser printer for more than 10 years and it would still be going strong if I’d spring for a new toner cartridge (nearly $200 – not justified in light of some of the new laser printers that can be purchased at that price or less). My concern is with Epson and HP and other printer companies wandering outside their core business into an area where the big name brands have established themselves with decades of quality product. If you told me that the Epson 3100Z was $300, I might say that would be a pretty good deal – but at $600, it’s non-competitive. Susan’s Canon G3 is one of the leaders at that price level, and I’d put it up against any other camera in that range.

Having said all this (in too many messages), the choice of cameras is a very personal one and you gotta go with what feels right to you. Speaking of that, if you can lay hands on the camera before you buy it, you’re going to be much better off; how the camera feels is nearly as important as its other features.

Enough pontificating; going to watch reruns of "Law and Order"….

🙂

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Beth, I’m watching it – on part 2 here already!!
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 23, 2003
JODI,
I still haven’t digested all the stuff from the photo class but one of the first things the Instructor said was to buy the camera with a BIG CCD…he said that was more important than the megapixels.
Hmmm, I hope I learn what that is before nexp Spring when I hope to upgrade. Marty
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 23, 2003
A big ccd-and I suppose he ‘s considering the new Canon and Kodak full frame SLR cameras- has a disadvantage. Not just only they are expensive, but by using cameras with a smaller ccd you use only the central part of the lens and that ‘s the best part. Full ccd cameras need extremely good quality glass and that’s extremely expensive as well.
Olympus and Fuji decided to go for even a smaller sized ccd, the 3/4 system. And obviously not without a reason!

Leen
DH
Dave Hamer
Jul 23, 2003
Jodi

As an aside, HP cameras are made in the Philippines and sport Pentax lenses. I’m happy with mine, even though it is quite basic now compared to some of the more recent offerings. I think it is best to physically try them out at the stores.

Dave
LD
Lisa Duskis
Jul 23, 2003
err, not necessarily.

crap lens = crap lens no matter what way you look at it. You pay for quality. Have good glass, you get good images.

if ya got a cheap lens on a DSLR that uses the central part of the lens, it still isn’t going to be as good as a lens with good glass.

I’m still primarily an analog shooter. I’ve got a nikon coolpix 2500 – and even then that gets used rarely.

and now, i’m off to go hiding again.

— L

"Leen Koper" wrote in message
A big ccd-and I suppose he ‘s considering the new Canon and Kodak full
frame SLR cameras- has a disadvantage. Not just only they are expensive, but by using cameras with a smaller ccd you use only the central part of the lens and that ‘s the best part. Full ccd cameras need extremely good quality glass and that’s extremely expensive as well.
Olympus and Fuji decided to go for even a smaller sized ccd, the 3/4
system. And obviously not without a reason!
Leen
JH
James Hayes
Jul 25, 2003
Question: Sould I be able to download photos from my Olympus C-3000 Zoom digital camera via USB port directly to Adobe Photoshop ELements (i.e . without the Olympus software being installed)?
Thanks
Jim Hayes
Irvine, CA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections