Posted By
KHS Webmaster
Jul 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HELP:

I am a high school teacher and webmaster for a school in Ohio. I am trying to modify the Web Page Gallery templates to mimick what we have been doing by hand.

I want the file size of each image to appear under the photo name – so a user knows how long they will have to wait for the download. So far, the only solution I can come up with is to mannually insert the file size in the File > File Info > Caption field. I tried to figure out how to create an Action do do this… to no avail.

I would also like to have the links on the thumbnail pages in this format:

Page 2 of 7
Turn to page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
rather than the way Photoshop does:
Previous | page 2 of 7 | Next

Also, when the user is viewing page 2, I don’t want that link active (so user doesn’t accidentally re-load the same page). I realise I could modify the template before creating the pages and set the number of pages in the current photo set, link mannually i.e. 2 = index_2.htm, and then after creation open the pages and turn off the link to the current page, but I’m looking for a quicker way.

Below is an example of what I’m trying to re-produce:
< http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/football/photos_vs_perry_8- 30-2002_p2.htm>

Below is how "close" I am getting to reproducing the above affect using Photoshop Web Page Gallery:

Note the file size does appear on the first photo (I inserted the size mannually), be sure to check out the links at the bottom.

< http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/football/july_14-17_camp/in dex.htm>

I would love to "add" the ability of a user to go from one big image directly to the next, which is the neat feature of Adobe creating all the HTM pages, but I don’t want to lose the "user friendly" features of our pages right now – warning users of file sizes and allowing them to "jump" to a certain page.

Also, I have PS6, Does anyone with PS7 know if this feature is available in v. 7?

HELP!
KHS Webmaster
email:

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Jul 22, 2003
I’ve done a fair bit of modifying the Web Gallery output, but I’m not aware of a method of doing what you want. PE2 doesn’t provide a variable for image size (at least they don’t use one in any of their samples).

You might be able to do a batch action as you requested, but I’m not the person to answer that question.

Another alternative is to use Elements for photo editing, and another tool for web gallery creation. Grant Dixon (the Challenge Person) uses PhotoThumb (http://photothumb.com/index.html). I’ve looked at the samples, and it would appear to do what you want. Image sizes, numbers for pages. Current page in index a different appearance.

Could be worth checking out, and worth the $30 US purchase price (this assumes you’re on Windows. I don’t know what’s available for the Mac).

Note, I’m not affiliated with PhotoThumb and also don’t use it. I just recall seeing a link from Grant, and took a look at their webpage. They provide a 30-day trial so you could look at it and see if it meets your needs.

Mike
KW
Kyle White
Jul 22, 2003
There is also a Java application called JAlbum that is quite configurable and uses CSS style sheets to set things up. It’s available at:

<http://www.datadosen.se/jalbum/>

It’s freeware and has been well supported/maintained. The author has notice on his page (lower left), but I have no doubt he’ll be "back" soon.

Kyle
GD
Grant Dixon
Jul 22, 2003
Mike and KHS Webmaster

While Photothumb has a 30 day trial version it doesn’t completely expire. In fact you only loose a few power toys and for the most part will not bother your ability to do bread and butter work with it.

G.
KW
KHS Webmaster
Jul 24, 2003
MIKE: Thanks for the tip. I just checked out the site and will download and test it today.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections