Posted By
CygnusX1
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is this normal?
Installing the whole CS takes more than 25 minutes I think close to 40 minutes. This was being installed on a PB OSX(10.3.X) and after starting the installer(enter serial number and registering) the installation took truly in excess of 25-40 minutes I kid you not.
Is this right? is ther something I did wrong?

Very curious.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 15, 2004
You loaded it on a slow computer???
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 15, 2004
The PowerBook is a little aggressive in slowing down the optical drive between reads (presumably to save power and reduce heat output), whereas the Power Mac keeps it spun up for much longer. I have often found that CD installations take longer on notebooks.
C
CygnusX1
Feb 15, 2004
Thanks.
The Powerbook was a 1Ghz 12" with 640 MB ram.
I mean I’ve installed Adobe apps onm towers and it’s way fast compared to this. I had no idea PB would be like this (installation only).
I
iGary
Feb 16, 2004
The optical drives that burn DVD are way slow. Before the latest 4X DVD drives were available installs were slow even on the towers. That is one reason I skip the SuperDrives and elect to get external, after market DVD burners.
C
CygnusX1
Feb 16, 2004
Interesting, I had no idea.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 16, 2004
I have the combo drive in my PowerBook. It is faster than the SuperDrive at burning CD-RW but it isn’t any quicker at installing software. Fortunately I don’t have to install software very often. The SuperDrive in my Power Mac is fast at installing, but only 4x for CD-RW.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 16, 2004
Ditto here on my Pismo PB. Four year old model.

I bought an external scsi 24X read HP9600 cdrw for my even older PM9600/300 tower with its stock 24X cd drive which was also faster than the 500mhz Pismo at installing SW. Hooked the HP to the Pismo through a scsi pcmcia card and it’s much faster than the stock 24X read DVD drive. Of course the HP has a 2MB buffer.

The pismo’s stock drive chugs quite a bit as it tries to keep filling the buffer during installs. At least I think its trying to do that. Its noisey and slow none the less.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections