RC
Posted By
Rebecca_C_May
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a friend who installed Panther MAC OS X 3.2 and now Photoshop 7 quits when it starts, it appears onscreen and tries to start up then quits. She’s going nuts trying to fix it, any ideas? I am upgrading andthinking of getting Photoshop CS but it is a MAJOR expense, will it work with Mac OS X 3.2 yet

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Reinstall Photoshop, then the OS if need be.

Back up your files first.
B
Buko
Feb 15, 2004
Both PS 7 and PSCS work flawlessly with 10.3.2
RC
Rebecca_C_May
Feb 15, 2004
I respectfully refer you to the following thread elsewhere < http://forums.macrumours.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid= 43543> to show you not everyone has your luck!
RC
Rebecca_C_May
Feb 15, 2004
There are plenty of people on there who had the same trouble
R
Ram
Feb 15, 2004
Rebecca,

The link you posted is wrong. (It takes you to the wrong place, that is.) Click on it yourself.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Feb 15, 2004
Both PS 7 and PSCS work flawlessly with 10.3.2

Not True! However, the fault doesn’t lie with Photoshop (either version).
RC
Rebecca_C_May
Feb 16, 2004
OK the link works fine where I picked it up from but not here how weird, will try and find another link for you. I’m in UK make any difference? I know no fault with Photoshop, seems to be Panther
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 16, 2004
Ask your friend to trash her Photoshop preferences and then, if that doesn’t work, Photoshop. Then restart for good measure.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 16, 2004
Photoshop 7.0.1 (be sure you have updated) and Panther 10.3.2 work flawlessly here. Check your ram – is it top grade Viking RAM? If not, replace it. You might want to take your machine in for diagnostic and a bench test at the nearest local Apple authorized service facility.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 16, 2004
Or, better yet, send it to Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 17, 2004
Meaning that I know how to kick life into Macs?
Or out of them?

But at least it might provide an excuse to buy a new G5.
C
CygnusX1
Feb 17, 2004
Photoshop 7.0.1 (be sure you have updated) and Panther 10.3.2 work flawlessly here

same here, it’s running very well in every sense.
RP
Robert_Peckham
Feb 17, 2004
Same problem here – big time !

I’m a Mac consultant with two photographer clients who have both upgraded to Panther (10.3.2) with PShop 7.1. Neither will now launch, and neither will Illustrator or Acrobat.

The Photoshop launch bombs at the point where it’s trying to build or install fonts – is this a clue ? A font conflict with the system perhaps ?

Spent three hours today re-installing one of the systems – lo & behold, same problem ….

This CANNOT be an isolated incident. What’s the answer, anyone ?
B
Buko
Feb 17, 2004
The Photoshop launch bombs at the point where it’s trying to build or install fonts – is this a clue ?

I say so. I had to turn off my fonts off the first time I tried to fire up photoshop. No problem since.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 17, 2004
<< The Photoshop launch bombs at the point where it’s trying to build or install fonts – is this a clue ? A font conflict with the system perhaps ?>>

I think you are on the right track.

You may want to prune your .dfonts. Look out for conflicting versions of Helvetica, Times, Times NewRoman, Impact etc.; and for old versions of Eras, Optima and Trade Gothic.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 17, 2004
"This CANNOT be an isolated incident. What’s the answer, anyone ?"

These problems are isolated to the extent that they indicate problems with one or more: 1. Hardware failure, 2. system maintenance 3. system conflict, all of which should be checked by an Authorized Apple technician. Take the computer into an Authorized Apple Service Center and have a full diagnostic done.
CB
Craig_Bunch
Feb 17, 2004
I am running a G5 1.8 with 512 MB ram, Panther 10.3.2, PhotoShop 7.0.1. I have had no problems with this configuration either during install or in usability since Dec. 22, 2003. I use Font Agent Pro from Insider Software. I have found that Suitcase has been a problem for some of my customers. That does not mean that is the problem but may be worth looking into. If you have Font Doctor, you might want to run a scan on your fonts for damage. Download the latest version of font software from the manufacturer. There have been some issues with older Font Management software and Panther. Also, OS X is pickier about its ram than was OS 9.?
JH
Jim_Horst
Feb 18, 2004
From Rebecca’s original post it sounds like Panther was installed as an upgrade to an existing system. If that is the case the font problem may very well be the culprit. Panther and Jaguar pull fonts from a half dozen folders including the OS9 system folder -> fonts folder. If the OS9 install didn’t have font management software or if it did and the software wasn’t upgraded to run under OSX the chances that the system is running into font conflicts are quite high.

Look at removing all but the essential fonts from the OS9 font folder (the new fonts installed by Panther in OSX locations should be fine) and restarting the system.
M
michaelwharton
Feb 18, 2004
I am also having the same problem with my Powerbook and the trial version of Photoshop CS, as-well as my original copy of PS 7. The application just quits during the start up.

To cut a long story short, I recently had to reinitialize my hard drive and re-install everything. I installed OS9, then OS 10.2, then updated to OS 10.3. Ever since, I haven’t been able to get photoshop to work.

I have tried everything listed above (and some other things I found on other forums) and still no luck. I have messed about with my fonts, application support folders, preferences. I’ve installed it and deleted it too many time to count and still no luck. Can someone please help?
B
Buko
Feb 19, 2004
Why did you feel a need to install 10.2 if you were installing 10.3??

Updating an old system is a bad idea. and the archive and install is recommended if you are stepping up a system. this way you keep your settings and software but have a clean install of the next system. to update an old system to a new one leaves old code that can conflict or cause problems.

If I were you I would, erase the drive, do a fresh install of just 10.3, then install photoshop. If it all works then add OS 9.2.2
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 19, 2004
Buko has got this stuff down gooooood.

I would leave 9.2.2 off completely, or, if you must have it, install on its own partition of about 5G.
B
Buko
Feb 19, 2004
Ken he’s installing on a Powerbook pationing up the hard drive would be a waste of space.

and maybe he needs OS9
M
michaelwharton
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks Buko, I will give it a go, but I don’t think it is the cause of my problems.

There are plenty of other people having the same problem and I bet that at least some of them had clean installs. Also my friend upgraded both his computers and has had no problems with photoshop on either of them.

I will have a go at the weekend, and will post back after that

Cheers
B
Buko
Feb 19, 2004
I would not normally suggest a clean reinstall from scratch but since you just did it and you don’t have anything to save. that is what I would do.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 19, 2004
Try trashing AdobeFnt05.lst and AdobeFnt06.lst do a search and to play it safe trash them all then trash the preferences of any application that crashed on launch then try to launch PS 7.0.1 or Illustrator or Acrobat.

Now if for some reason this does not solve the problem and Buko’s method of turning all the fonts off, then Create a New User Account and see if you log into that if you if you can now launch it, more than probably you can.

That means you either have a corrupt font installed on the user accounts fonts folders, that’s plural or you have some other preference corrupt or believe it or not a corrupt profile that happen to me in my case it was monitor profiles and one of my monitors has since died. I don’t know if this is hardware related though.

I do not use Panther and these remedies are not Panther specific but they are specific to non CS version of those adobe products.
MS
Martin_Sammtleben
Feb 19, 2004
Have you checked your time zone settings?
Martin Sammtleben "Incorrect time zone settings cause PS7 to crash upon launch under Panther" 2/18/04 11:23am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

See also:
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.688edd87/8>

Cheers Martin
SC
susanna_chisholm
Feb 20, 2004
I upgraded 10.1. ? to 10.1.5 and recently upgraded to panther, after which i experienced the same problem of photoshop quitting during start up. I also tried reinstalling photoshop countless times but it didnt help. I don’t know if any of the above solutions work but i found that if you move the workflow folder from the adobe folder which is located in the aplication support folder in the library folder, then photoshop seems to work ok but i dont really know how this is going to affect the running of photoshop because i havnt had the chance to test it out much. if anybody knows what the contents of the workflow folder actually does to the running of photoshop it would be much apreciated.
SC
susanna_chisholm
Feb 20, 2004
that is amazing. i just tried resetting my time zone and re installed photoshop and now it seems to be working fine, even without moving the workflow folder. thank you soooooo much martin
NB
N_Branton
Feb 28, 2004
Need help here, too! I just installed OSX Panther on older G4 then Photoshop CS (whole package) Now, in photoshop CS, program quits everytime I copy or cut to clipboard. Sometimes get error code 600…when it feels like it…Going to get more memory today to see if this helps. Any other suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.
NB
B
Buko
Feb 28, 2004
N need more info.

How did you update to Panther??

How much RAM do you have??

how much free hard drive space??

What kind of older G4??
G
gsindhu
Feb 29, 2004
Hi All,
I upgaraded from 10.2 to 10.3.2
Now i am facing a problem with Photoshhop.
Using
-Macintosh – 10.3.2
-Photoshop 7.0/7.01./CS
I invoke my TWAIN driver from File Menu->Import.
On my UI-> i select the images to import. Aprogress sheet drops down. Import of the Image does not start Until clicked "On the macintosh Apple’ at the leftmost top OR until clicked on the Desktop.
Once any of this is done,
Import start and completes properly.
Why is this? Is this a bug in Photoshop.
NOTE: I am not facing this problem in Adobe ImageReady 7.0 on 10.3.2. Does anyone have a solution.
Kindly reply.
B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
Why are you importing the images why not just open them??
NB
N_Branton
Feb 29, 2004
Buko,
I updated OSX from 9.2.2. (didn’t overwrite 9.2.2) At the moment have 640MB ram about to drop in another 512MB card. Have one of the oldest G4’s (Blue/White) Tried to dump several programs to gain space,Office 2001, Photoshop 6 etc. Norton Systemworks. Can reinstall all if needed. But, made big blunder that didn’t catch until systemworks…Just dumped programs in trash didn’t realize should have un-installed. You only do it wrong several times before you learn…;( Right now OSX only has the creative suite in it. Nothing else is running when it’s open. So, it’s "info" says I have around 500mb available while running. Going to try clearing cache and preferences next…then unistall and reinstall if that doesn’t work…
NB
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Feb 29, 2004
There are no blue and white G4’s, I have a generation one 1999 G4 450 and it’s grey/silver.
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Mar 1, 2004
My beige G5 is giving me troubles as well 🙂
NB
N_Branton
Mar 3, 2004
Dear Stevie J V,
Don’t miss the forest for the trees…the Apple store employees in Manhattan now refer to them as Blue/White because our G4’s are "so old" they’ve never actually seen them…bless their just out of college hearts…now let’s get back to the problem…;)
NB

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections