FA
Posted By
Frank Arthur
Jun 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I often open my Jpg. files in Raw so I can work on them in Photoshop CS3.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

FS
Fat Sam
Jun 27, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:

I’m sorry. I completely failed to understand what you’re saying. Do you mean you convert your RAW’s to Jpeg so you can open them in Photoshop?
Or are you asking how you can convert RAW to Jpeg?
FA
Frank Arthur
Jun 27, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote in message
Frank Arthur wrote:
I often open my Jpg. files in Raw so I can work on them in Photoshop
CS3.

I’m sorry. I completely failed to understand what you’re saying. Do you mean you convert your RAW’s to Jpeg so you can open them in Photoshop?
It wasn’t a question. It was a statement.
I was very pleased to know that I can open my Jpg. file in Photoshop CS3 in Raw. Now I can manipulate that image using the many Raw adjustments.
FS
Fat Sam
Jun 27, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:
Frank Arthur wrote:
CS3.

I was very pleased to know that I can open my Jpg. file in Photoshop CS3 in Raw. Now I can manipulate that image using the many Raw adjustments.

Ah. I was confused.
In fact I still am confused.
What’s the benefit of converting a Jpeg back to Raw mode? Surely a Jpeg contains a lot less image data than a Raw file, and that data can’t simply be recovered by converting the format?
I suspect I’m missing the point somewhat.

http://www.norfolklupus.co.uk
http://www.thebooknook.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40919519@N00/
FA
Frank Arthur
Jun 27, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:
Frank Arthur wrote:
CS3.

I was very pleased to know that I can open my Jpg. file in Photoshop
CS3 in Raw. Now I can manipulate that image using the many Raw adjustments.

Ah. I was confused.
What’s the benefit of converting a Jpeg back to Raw mode? Surely a Jpeg contains a lot less image data than a Raw file, and that data can’t simply be recovered by converting the format? I suspect I’m missing the point somewhat.

There are 8 tabs in Raw that allow other changes to the image including Lens Correction that are simply not available except through Raw. If you open a Raw image in Raw and get to know your way around the nuances it makes life a lot easier to open a Jpg. in Raw and uses those same manipulations.
Your choice.
There’s nothing to stop you from opening your Jpg. normally and use the normal Photoshop menus.

J
Joel
Jun 27, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote:

Frank Arthur wrote:

LightRoom and Adobe ARC v4.x can open *all* RAWs, JPEG, and TIFF. Yes, you can adjust JPG and TIFF just like you do with RAW format. Me, I don’t use TIFF so never tried myself, but I believe (99% sure but not 100%) I have tried few JPG
J
Joel
Jun 27, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote:

Frank Arthur wrote:
Frank Arthur wrote:
CS3.

Ah. I was confused.
What’s the benefit of converting a Jpeg back to Raw mode? Surely a Jpeg contains a lot less image data than a Raw file, and that data can’t simply be recovered by converting the format?
I suspect I’m missing the point somewhat.

It may not have much or any benefit from using RAW converter on JPEG, but it seems like you give more credit to RAW than it really is.

So YES, RAW does have few sharp edge but RAW isn’t anything, and I prefer to use RAW converter on RAW file. But my final file has always been JPG
C
Conrad
Jun 28, 2007
On Jun 27, 10:50 am, "Frank Arthur" wrote:

CS3.<<

I do the same thing. It’s nice to have the ‘RAW’ tools in working with JPEG images.

Best,

Conrad.
FS
Fat Sam
Jun 28, 2007
Frank Arthur wrote:
Frank Arthur wrote:
Frank Arthur wrote:
CS3.

I was very pleased to know that I can open my Jpg. file in Photoshop
CS3 in Raw. Now I can manipulate that image using the many Raw adjustments.

Ah. I was confused.
What’s the benefit of converting a Jpeg back to Raw mode? Surely a Jpeg contains a lot less image data than a Raw file, and that data can’t simply be recovered by converting the format? I suspect I’m missing the point somewhat.

There are 8 tabs in Raw that allow other changes to the image including Lens Correction that are simply not available except through Raw. If you open a Raw image in Raw and get to know your way around the nuances it makes life a lot easier to open a Jpg. in Raw and uses those same manipulations.
Your choice.
There’s nothing to stop you from opening your Jpg. normally and use the normal Photoshop menus.

I’m only using CS2 at the moment and can’t afford to upgrade to CS3 for a while, so unfortunately I can’t try it for myself, but I do think it sounds good.
At first I was confused, but when you explained that it opens up a whole new set of tools that weren’t otherwise available, then it all makes sense.
DH
Desert Heat
Jun 28, 2007
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
:I often open my Jpg. files in Raw so I can work on them in Photoshop : CS3.
:
:

CS 3 does have that capacity.

However, the main advantages of file adjustment/manipulation in a RAW file is that the data(image) is non destructive, that you can adjust exposure lattitude, and can make adjustments at 16 bite and not 8 for potential greater color fidelity and transition. Once you convert to jpg there is data loss.
PJ
Papa Joe
Jun 28, 2007
On 2007-06-27 14:50:20 -0300, "Frank Arthur" said:

If you just don’t know how to use levels , curves in photoshop, yes, go ahead and open a JPG as a RAW. Unfortunately, you’ll be torturing even further an already imafe file that has been stripped of data. The raw levels assume you’ve got much more data and just sliding those things left and right can reall affect the quality print OUTPUT of your image.

I guess it depends what your output intent is, but best to keep JPG as a crap file try and fix it in photoshop itself. You’re starting the process off with software that assume just that…the file is at a start-off point, but when a JPG is in itself, already been through a process of compression or maybe even saved a JPG through photoshop. Be careful here.

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
C
Conrad
Jun 29, 2007
Hi Frank,

CS3.<<

I also like the ‘temperture’ adjustment for JPEG files with the RAW tools.

Best,

Conrad
FS
Fat Sam
Jun 29, 2007
Conrad wrote:
Hi Frank,

I often open my Jpg. files in Raw so I can work on them in Photoshop CS3.<<

But does it really let you do anything extra that can’t be acchieved in Jpeg RGB or LAB mode?

J
Joel
Jun 29, 2007
Conrad wrote:

Hi Frank,

CS3.<<

CS2 and I guess that CS3 has "Temperature" and "Explosure" too. Yup! CS2/3 have lot more than RAW has to offer, but because they have so many to be able to display them all on few simple menus like RAW does, so user has to learn what availab;e and where to locate (as well as how to use it etc.).

I don’t use those 2 above (with CS2 and not yet explored CS3 to know much about it) but I have seen and tried at least once.

Best,

Conrad
J
Joel
Jun 29, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote:

Conrad wrote:
Hi Frank,

But does it really let you do anything extra that can’t be acchieved in Jpeg RGB or LAB mode?

It’s just another option for one who may be able to take advantage of it, or for one who doesn’t know LAB or even RGB. Me, I just use some simple commands on RGB that I have been using for years.
F
friesian
Jul 1, 2007
On Jun 29, 7:23 am, "Fat Sam" wrote:
Conrad wrote:
Hi Frank,

Is there a way without RAW mode to open a batch of jpg files and then save them with new names without typing in the repeated names? For example, when I open a batch of RAW files, I will make any corrections if needed, and I will save them with a new name. I photograph animals, so I save them with their name and a number. I can set the program to tell it what folder I want to save it in, what name, and a number serious. I only have to type the name once.

So, far with jpgs, I have not found a silar way to do this. There is some type of batch function, but I do not want to automatically save all of the files. I want to choose which ones I will save. If I rename a batch, I ould then have to delete the ones I don’t want to keep, and that would leave gaps in the numbers. I do not want that. Also, I do not want to rename the orginal file. I want to save a new copy of the file and save the original.

I would love to have the same dialog window to work with when saving jpgs as I do when saving RAW files.
J
Joel
Jul 1, 2007
"" wrote:

Conrad wrote:
Hi Frank,

Is there a way without RAW mode to open a batch of jpg files and then save them with new names without typing in the repeated names? For example, when I open a batch of RAW files, I will make any corrections if needed, and I will save them with a new name. I photograph animals, so I save them with their name and a number. I can set the program to tell it what folder I want to save it in, what name, and a number serious. I only have to type the name once.

So, far with jpgs, I have not found a silar way to do this. There is some type of batch function, but I do not want to automatically save all of the files. I want to choose which ones I will save. If I rename a batch, I ould then have to delete the ones I don’t want to keep, and that would leave gaps in the numbers. I do not want that. Also, I do not want to rename the orginal file. I want to save a new copy of the file and save the original.

I would love to have the same dialog window to work with when saving jpgs as I do when saving RAW files.

My work requires me to exam and retouch each individual photo separately, so I have never batched anything (neither RAW nor JPEG). But I have read that you may be able to batch a FOLDER, or you will have to copy the JPEGs you can to batch to a specific folder then run either script/action (whatever I’ve never done to remember all small detail myself) and it will do the whole folder.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 1, 2007
wrote:
Conrad wrote:
Hi Frank,

Is there a way without RAW mode to open a batch of jpg files and then save them with new names without typing in the repeated names?

Tat’s a *batch* of jpeg files you say?
You did say the word *Batch* didn’t you?

For
example, when I open a batch of RAW files,

So we’re definitely talking about renaming a *batch* of files. There’s definitely no mistake that we’re daling with batches here.

I will make any corrections
if needed, and I will save them with a new name. I photograph animals, so I save them with their name and a number. I can set the program to tell it what folder I want to save it in, what name, and a number serious. I only have to type the name once.

So, far with jpgs, I have not found a silar way to do this. There is some type of batch function, but I do not want to automatically save all of the files. I want to choose which ones I will save. If I rename a batch, I ould then have to delete the ones I don’t want to keep, and that would leave gaps in the numbers. I do not want that.

But hang on, rewind a bit there.
In your first paragraph you said you DID want to do this to a batch of Jpeg files….
Or did I imagine you using the word *batch*?
Make up your mind.

Also, I do not want to rename the orginal file. I want to save a new copy of the file and save the original.

Use your actions pallette.
Record the process as you do whatever is necessary to one file. Then access the newly recorded action through your File>Automate menu. This will allow you to batch process all the files in a pre-determined location.

What could be simpler than that?
TB
The Bobert
Jul 1, 2007
In article ,
"" wrote:

Is there a way without RAW mode to open a batch of jpg files and then save them with new names without typing in the repeated names?

Check out Renamer4mac at:
<http://www.power4mac.com/>

Does what you want and is free.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! (it comes bundled with the software)

Bob in Central CA
F
friesian
Jul 2, 2007
On Jul 1, 8:40 am, "Fat Sam" wrote:
wrote:

For

So we’re definitely talking about renaming a *batch* of files. There’s definitely no mistake that we’re daling with batches here.

Sorry, I should watch my terminolgy. I was thinking batch as in group, not batch operation. I do not want to do a batch operation. For example, I want to open 30 photos of a cat named " Sunny" and rename/ save only the photos that I want to keep, maybe 10-15, and instead of names like IMG_9012, I would like to save them as Sunny01, Sunny02, etc WITHOUT having to type out the name each time. And without having to do a batch and then delete the ones I don’t want. I save ALL the original files, so I cannot just delete them and then do a batch operation.

In your first paragraph you said you DID want to do this to a batch of Jpeg files….
Make up your mind.

I apologize. I meant that I want to open a group of files, but only save and rename SOME of the files.

Record the process as you do whatever is necessary to one file. Then access the newly recorded action through your File>Automate menu. This will allow you to batch process all the files in a pre-determined location.

That requires doing it to ALL the photos in a folder. I want to pick and choose. AND I want to have the names done with a sequential number. I have not seen any way to do that in an action. It either keeps the old name, or it would give the same name to each file.

With the RAW file system, when I choose save, it gives me a dialog window that lets me setup the sequential naming. And when I switch to the next cat, I just change the name in one box, and reset the number to 01. It is perfect. ALl I want is the same thing with non-RAW files. What could be more simple than that? 🙂
F
friesian
Jul 2, 2007
On Jul 1, 1:03 pm, The Bobert wrote:
In article ,

"" wrote:

This looks like doing a whole folder at a time, which I can do in photoshop already. Let me explain better what I want.

Let’s say I photograph a cat named Sunny. These are the files names I get from the camera:

IMG_7812
IMG_7813
IMG_7814
IMG_7815
IMG_7816
IMG_7817
IMG_7818
IMG_7819
IMG_7820
IMG_7821
IMG_7822
IMG_7823
IMG_7824
IMG_7825
IMG_7826
IMG_7827
IMG_7828
IMG_7829

When I get home, I will open ALL the files to look at them. As I go through them, I will decide to use some, but not all. I may choose to use only 8 of them as proofs for customers. I want the new names to be Sunny01- Sunny08.

If I do a batch operation with the whole folder, I will end up with Sunny01 – Sunny19. I will then have to delete the new files that I don’t want, leaving gaps in the numbers. Then my customers will ask to see the missing numbers.

If I delete the files I don’t plan to use, then I may regret it. Soimetimes, I do go back and salvage a photo I previously culled. Also, some photos that I know customers won’t want may still be good for my own usage. So, while I do not have time to work with them today, I do want to save them. I do not want to delete them. I want the original files to be complete and unedited.

When I shoot RAW files, I just open the whole group of photos for one cat, and I look at each one and decide to save/rename it or skip it. With the first photo, I type in the name of the cat, reset the serial number to 01, and change tthe destination folder. After that, for each photo that I want to save, I click on save and hit enter. Without any more typing or hassle, I get this:

IMG_7812 becomes Sunny01
IMG_7814 becomes Sunny02
IMG_7816 becomes Sunny03
IMG_7817 becomes Sunny04
IMG_7819 becomes Sunny05
IMG_7820 becomes Sunny06
IMG_7823 becomes Sunny07
IMG_7824 becomes Sunny08

Exactly what I want. No hassle.

I cannot get this window with these options when using jpg or psd files. It automatically files in the current name which has to be changed each time. And if I want to change the location or file type, I have to choose that EACH time.

When I get back from a cat show, I may have over 600 photos to go through, and that can easily be 30 different cats with 300-400 of the photos being saved and renamed. Now, with cats I do use RAW format all the time. So, this isn’t a problem.

But I will be doing more horse shows again as summer is underway. And for action photos, it helps to use the jpg file format since the photos will save faster and I don’t miss photos while the camera is saving them. Right now I have to choose. Ease with shooting, or ease with post-production. It would be nice to have the best of both.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 2, 2007
wrote:
wrote:

For

Sorry, I should watch my terminolgy. I was thinking batch as in group, not batch operation. I do not want to do a batch operation. For example, I want to open 30 photos of a cat named " Sunny" and rename/ save only the photos that I want to keep, maybe 10-15, and instead of names like IMG_9012, I would like to save them as Sunny01, Sunny02, etc WITHOUT having to type out the name each time. And without having to do a batch and then delete the ones I don’t want. I save ALL the original files, so I cannot just delete them and then do a batch operation.

Make up your mind.

I apologize. I meant that I want to open a group of files, but only save and rename SOME of the files.

That requires doing it to ALL the photos in a folder. I want to pick and choose. AND I want to have the names done with a sequential number. I have not seen any way to do that in an action. It either keeps the old name, or it would give the same name to each file.

You can still do that with the Actions pallette.

With the RAW file system, when I choose save, it gives me a dialog window that lets me setup the sequential naming. And when I switch to the next cat, I just change the name in one box, and reset the number to 01. It is perfect. ALl I want is the same thing with non-RAW files. What could be more simple than that? 🙂

Actions pallette.
Perhaps it’s time for you to pay a visit to our old friend, Google.
F
friesian
Jul 3, 2007
On Jul 2, 3:30 am, "Fat Sam" wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

For

Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

An action records one name. How is an action going to change the file name each time to a new file name with a consecutive number??? Also, saving an action simply records the steps I take while it is recording. There is no option within photoshop while working with a jpg or psd file to set up the consecutive naming, so how would that ever get recorded?

Hell, I can’t even get it to change the location without having to resave the action. It was always saving the files to the original folder I set it to when I saved the action. I finally made a specific folder for the results of all batch operations, and then I have to go and move them to the folder I want. This function with RAW files skips that step completely.

I do have actions for saving files as a new format when I want the name and location to be the same. And that works quite well. But if there were a selection for consecutive naming in the regular save dialog, I wouldn’t be asking about it. If I can’t do it for one file, I don’t see how I can make an action out of it.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 3, 2007
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

For

Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

An action records one name.

An action can be set to record numerically, alphabetically or alphanumerically sequential names.
You aren’t using Actions to their fullest potential, or else you simply aren’t doing it right.
Actions are an immensely powerfull part of photoshop, and if you take the time to learn about them, you’ll find they can in fact do everything you’re demanding.
Just because you haven’t figured out how to make them do what you want, doesn’t mean they can’t do it.
I have used Actions quite successfully in the past for exactly the sort of tasks you’re describing, so I know they can do it.
N
news
Jul 3, 2007
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
For
Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

An action records one name. How is an action going to change the file name each time to a new file name with a consecutive number??? Also, saving an action simply records the steps I take while it is recording. There is no option within photoshop while working with a jpg or psd file to set up the consecutive naming, so how would that ever get recorded?

Hell, I can’t even get it to change the location without having to resave the action. It was always saving the files to the original folder I set it to when I saved the action. I finally made a specific folder for the results of all batch operations, and then I have to go and move them to the folder I want. This function with RAW files skips that step completely.

I do have actions for saving files as a new format when I want the name and location to be the same. And that works quite well. But if there were a selection for consecutive naming in the regular save dialog, I wouldn’t be asking about it. If I can’t do it for one file, I don’t see how I can make an action out of it.

You can set the renaming/numbering conventions in the automate>batch dialogue box.
K
KatWoman
Jul 3, 2007
wrote in message
In article ,

"" wrote:

This looks like doing a whole folder at a time, which I can do in photoshop already. Let me explain better what I want.

Let’s say I photograph a cat named Sunny. These are the files names I get from the camera:

IMG_7812
IMG_7813
IMG_7814
IMG_7815
IMG_7816
IMG_7817
IMG_7818
IMG_7819
IMG_7820
IMG_7821
IMG_7822
IMG_7823
IMG_7824
IMG_7825
IMG_7826
IMG_7827
IMG_7828
IMG_7829

When I get home, I will open ALL the files to look at them. As I go through them, I will decide to use some, but not all. I may choose to use only 8 of them as proofs for customers. I want the new names to be Sunny01- Sunny08.

If I do a batch operation with the whole folder, I will end up with Sunny01 – Sunny19. I will then have to delete the new files that I don’t want, leaving gaps in the numbers. Then my customers will ask to see the missing numbers.

If I delete the files I don’t plan to use, then I may regret it. Soimetimes, I do go back and salvage a photo I previously culled. Also, some photos that I know customers won’t want may still be good for my own usage. So, while I do not have time to work with them today, I do want to save them. I do not want to delete them. I want the original files to be complete and unedited.

When I shoot RAW files, I just open the whole group of photos for one cat, and I look at each one and decide to save/rename it or skip it. With the first photo, I type in the name of the cat, reset the serial number to 01, and change tthe destination folder. After that, for each photo that I want to save, I click on save and hit enter. Without any more typing or hassle, I get this:

IMG_7812 becomes Sunny01
IMG_7814 becomes Sunny02
IMG_7816 becomes Sunny03
IMG_7817 becomes Sunny04
IMG_7819 becomes Sunny05
IMG_7820 becomes Sunny06
IMG_7823 becomes Sunny07
IMG_7824 becomes Sunny08

I cannot get this window with these options when using jpg or psd files. It automatically files in the current name which has to be changed each time. And if I want to change the location or file type, I have to choose that EACH time.

When I get back from a cat show, I may have over 600 photos to go through, and that can easily be 30 different cats with 300-400 of the photos being saved and renamed. Now, with cats I do use RAW format all the time. So, this isn’t a problem.

But I will be doing more horse shows again as summer is underway. And for action photos, it helps to use the jpg file format since the photos will save faster and I don’t miss photos while the camera is saving them. Right now I have to choose. Ease with shooting, or ease with post-production. It would be nice to have the best of both.

In Windows it’s easy
open folder
control click ones you need to rename
right click choose rename and it will add numbers

if you want to keep the orig number files to make a copy of the selects to a new folder and rename them in PS or Win
F
friesian
Jul 4, 2007
On Jul 3, 5:25 am, news wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
For
Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

You can set the renaming/numbering conventions in the automate>batch dialogue box.

That would be great if I wanted to do every photo in the folder. I don’t. That was my whole point. I want to do this one at a time as I choose which photos get saved and renamed and which don’t.
F
friesian
Jul 4, 2007
On Jul 3, 3:50 am, "Fat Sam" wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

For

Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

An action can be set to record numerically, alphabetically or alphanumerically sequential names.
You aren’t using Actions to their fullest potential, or else you simply aren’t doing it right.
Actions are an immensely powerfull part of photoshop, and if you take the time to learn about them, you’ll find they can in fact do everything you’re demanding.
Just because you haven’t figured out how to make them do what you want, doesn’t mean they can’t do it.
I have used Actions quite successfully in the past for exactly the sort of tasks you’re describing, so I know they can do it.

Then I must be stupid. I record an action by doing the steps I want to do in a photo.

I cannot find any step that allowed me to change the name while I save the file. I have tried OS dialog and Photoshop Dialog. There is a blank to type in the file name, but I don’t see anything for a series. I get the same window whether I am recording an action or saving the file normally.

The ONLY way I see to do the series is in AUTOMATE.

I believe I have mentioned several times that I do not want to do this. That means I would have to do the whole folder at once and then delete all the files I don’t want renamed. Then I would either have missing numbers, or I would have to manually rename the higher numbers to fill in the gaps. I do not want to do this.

I want to do this one photo at a time. Each time I hit save, I want it to automatically bump to the next number in the series.

Do you know of a way to do this WITHOUT doing a whole folder at once?
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 4, 2007
wrote:
On Jul 3, 3:50 am, "Fat Sam" wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

For

Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

Then I must be stupid. I record an action by doing the steps I want to do in a photo.

I cannot find any step that allowed me to change the name while I save the file. I have tried OS dialog and Photoshop Dialog. There is a blank to type in the file name, but I don’t see anything for a series. I get the same window whether I am recording an action or saving the file normally.

I can only assume you are deliberately missing the point here.
FS
Fat Sam
Jul 4, 2007
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
For
Sorry, I should watch my terminolgy. I was thinking batch as in group, not batch operation. I do not want to do a batch
operation. For example, I want to open 30 photos of a cat named " Sunny" and rename/ save only the photos that I want to keep, maybe 10-15, and instead of names like IMG_9012, I would like to save them as Sunny01, Sunny02, etc WITHOUT having to type out the name each time. And without having to do a batch and then delete the ones I don’t want. I save ALL the original files, so I cannot just delete them and then do a batch operation.
Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

That would be great if I wanted to do every photo in the folder. I don’t. That was my whole point. I want to do this one at a time as I choose which photos get saved and renamed and which don’t.

So put all those photos in a folder and batch process it. Simple.
F
friesian
Jul 4, 2007
On Jul 3, 3:29 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

In article ,

"" wrote:

IMG_7812
IMG_7813
IMG_7814
IMG_7815
IMG_7816
IMG_7817
IMG_7818
IMG_7819
IMG_7820
IMG_7821
IMG_7822
IMG_7823
IMG_7824
IMG_7825
IMG_7826
IMG_7827
IMG_7828
IMG_7829

IMG_7812 becomes Sunny01
IMG_7814 becomes Sunny02
IMG_7816 becomes Sunny03
IMG_7817 becomes Sunny04
IMG_7819 becomes Sunny05
IMG_7820 becomes Sunny06
IMG_7823 becomes Sunny07
IMG_7824 becomes Sunny08

In Windows it’s easy
open folder
control click ones you need to rename
right click choose rename and it will add numbers

if you want to keep the orig number files to make a copy of the selects to a new folder and rename them in PS or Win

Thanks. Normally, I just type in the new name as I want to do it while I am editing the files.

The only reason I asked is because it is so much easier to do this with RAW files, and apparnetly you can open jpg files in CS3 as if they are RAW files. Somebody asked why anybody would want to do that, and this would be a reason that I would.
F
friesian
Jul 4, 2007
On Jul 3, 6:45 pm, "Fat Sam" wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
For
Sorry, I should watch my terminolgy. I was thinking batch as in group, not batch operation. I do not want to do a batch
operation. For example, I want to open 30 photos of a cat named " Sunny" and rename/ save only the photos that I want to keep, maybe 10-15, and instead of names like IMG_9012, I would like to save them as Sunny01, Sunny02, etc WITHOUT having to type out the name each time. And without having to do a batch and then delete the ones I don’t want. I save ALL the original files, so I cannot just delete them and then do a batch operation.
Make up your mind.

Actions pallette.

That would require copying the whole batch of 600+ files and saving two sets – one original set and one set to do the batch operations. Why would I want to do that?

I keep my photos organized. I have a folder that represents the whole event. I then have folders for each cat, and then inside that, I had folders for each file type. So, there will be a folder for the orginal unedited files, then the saved psd files, saved tiff files, and saved jpg files.

In order to do as you suggest (which I considered), I would have to save a new set of the orginal files in a different location, open each grouping in bridge. Then go through and delete all the ones I don’t want, do batch operation, and then copy all the new files back to the orginal folder system. What a pain.

With RAW files, I open the group, save/rename each file I want to keep with 2 clicks per photo. And it’s all done. Orginals in one folder, saved files where I want them. Easy.

All I ask is that I be able to do it the same with psd or jpg files.

Obviously, it can’t be done in CS2, but it sounds like it can be done in CS3. And that sounds like a valid reason to open jpg files as if they were RAW files – which was the main discussion of this topic, and the reason I asked.
J
Joel
Jul 4, 2007
"" wrote:

<snip>

That would require copying the whole batch of 600+ files and saving two sets – one original set and one set to do the batch operations. Why would I want to do that?

It seems like you need to use your skill more often and less excuse.

– Moving files from one_folder to other on same_drive may take few seconds to move hundreds or even thousand file. And you DO NOT want to COPY

– Renaming the folder won’t take more than few seconds, and files won’t need to be moved.
J
Joel
Jul 4, 2007
"" wrote:

<snip>
Thanks. Normally, I just type in the new name as I want to do it while I am editing the files.

The only reason I asked is because it is so much easier to do this with RAW files, and apparnetly you can open jpg files in CS3 as if they are RAW files. Somebody asked why anybody would want to do that, and this would be a reason that I would.

And if you just want to RENAME the file’s then you do not need Photoshop and Action but just a simple small File Rename util would do.

And if you don’t really need to rename the last 4-digits to 01-02-03 etc.. you can just drop to DOS then type

REN _IMG_????.jpg Sunny_????.jpg

And it should change the "_IMG" to "Sunny" and keep the numbers the same. I think it’s the correct command as I haven’t used for years. And it shoudn’t take more than few seconds, no Photoshop nor Action required.
F
friesian
Jul 5, 2007
On Jul 4, 8:05 am, Joel wrote:
"" wrote:

<snip>

– Moving files from one_folder to other on same_drive may take few seconds to move hundreds or even thousand file. And you DO NOT want to COPY
– Renaming the folder won’t take more than few seconds, and files won’t need to be moved.

I am sorry that you don’t understand my system.It works very well for me, and I can do it easily with the RAW files, which is what I usually do now. I do NOT want to move some files to another folder. I want to keep a full set of the original files, so they need to stay together. That means I need to either make a copy of the set and then delete the ones I am not renaming, or I need to do them one at a time like I currently do.

I know what I am doing, and I do it the best way that I can for the system that I use. And really, I don’t shoot in jpg much anymore, except for dog agility and horse shows. IT was just one of those things where a new version pf photoshop was so much better that I would never want to go back. And until I can get cs3, I will have to go back when I shoot in jog mode.
J
Joel
Jul 5, 2007
"" wrote:

<snip>

I am sorry that you don’t understand my system.It works very well for me, and I can do it easily with the RAW files, which is what I usually do now. I do NOT want to move some files to another folder. I want to keep a full set of the original files, so they need to stay together. That means I need to either make a copy of the set and then delete the ones I am not renaming, or I need to do them one at a time like I currently do.

No need to be sorry, and I don’t think that anyone needs to know your system either. Some of us just give you some option’s for you to chose, and you are free to chose whatever you please.

– You complain that COPYing 600 photos takes long time, I give you several different options which wouldn’t take more than 3-5 seconds then you say none pleases you.

I know what I am doing, and I do it the best way that I can for the system that I use. And really, I don’t shoot in jpg much anymore, except for dog agility and horse shows. IT was just one of those things where a new version pf photoshop was so much better that I would never want to go back. And until I can get cs3, I will have to go back when I shoot in jog mode.

I am glad to hear that you know what you are doing, and knowing what to do is what we all want to know. And it doesn’t matter which you shoot, just knowing what to do and do best is all we care.

But it’s sad that you don’t seem to know what you are doing <bg>
F
friesian
Jul 10, 2007
On Jul 5, 2:19 am, Joel wrote:

– You complain that COPYing 600 photos takes long time, I give you several different options which wouldn’t take more than 3-5 seconds then you say none pleases you.

I’m just really bad at describing what I do. Copying doesn’t take much time at all, though more than 5 seconds. It takes me a good 20 minutes to upload a full card to my older laptop. I just don’t want to copy the whole collection and have it two locations with one complete and one messed up. That tends to get me confused in the future when I need to go back and look at originals. So, if I did copy and do that, I would have to go back and delete the new set before I got them messed up.

But really, the issue is that CS2 does EXACTLY what I want with RAW files. It just doesn’t let me do it the same way when I work with other files.

I really prefer to open a group of photos and go through them and either close it or rename/save it. I like doing it that way. Choosing what to save and what not to save while I look at them. I really don’t want to do a batch and then go through and delete (leaving gaps in the numbers).

My system works very well for me, and I love it. It is the main reason I never shoot jpg any more, even if I don’t nee any other features of RAW files. A couple years ago, I went to an event to photograph dog agility. And my larger memory card failed early on. So, I was stuck with a lot less memory than I had planned. Eventually, I had to switch to jpg files to conserve space. I found a huge difference in dealing with the photos later.

Your opinion.

I’m sure if I could show you in person what I do, then it would make more sense why I like use the RAW system, and why it works better for me. I agree that the copy and batch operation doesn’t take a lot of time. Less than half an hour for a weekend of photos. BUT! I do the other way as I work on the photos, and that time is already spent anyway. I will always go through them one at a time while choosing, so it just makes sense for me to do it this way. When I am at a cat show, I go through them very fast so that I can show only the photos I want the customers to see. I never show them the original files. I always check the color, crop if needed, and save to a new folder. Then, when they come back, I show them the new folder.

If I can do it within photoshop in fewer steps (my way taks two clicks of the mouse), then why would I want to go into another program, copy files into various folders, and then back to photoshop to run batch operations? I already have an easy way to do it with one type of file. It sounds wonderful that CS3 now allows that to be done with all types of file. I am not asking for advice or even complaining. This discussion asked why anybody would want to use the RAW converter for a non-RAW file, and I asked if CS2 would do this, because it doesn’t. And CS3 does. So, I see a good benefit of this addition.
J
Joel
Jul 10, 2007
"" wrote:

I’m just really bad at describing what I do. Copying doesn’t take much time at all, though more than 5 seconds. It takes me a good 20 minutes

Well, copying can take more than an hour if you prefer to, but that wasn’t what I was trying to tell you.

to upload a full card to my older laptop. I just don’t want to copy the whole collection and have it two locations with one complete and one messed up. That tends to get me confused in the future when I need

And I gave you another option and it doesn’t take more than 3-5 seconds, but it seems like you just like complaining or something.

to go back and look at originals. So, if I did copy and do that, I would have to go back and delete the new set before I got them messed up.

That was why I gave you the RENAME option.

But really, the issue is that CS2 does EXACTLY what I want with RAW files. It just doesn’t let me do it the same way when I work with other files.

CS2 and OS are designed to serve all users *not* just you. Matter fact, they give you what you really need, but it’s sad that you can’t see it.

I really prefer to open a group of photos and go through them and either close it or rename/save it. I like doing it that way. Choosing what to save and what not to save while I look at them. I really don’t want to do a batch and then go through and delete (leaving gaps in the numbers).

That was why

– Someone gave you the option to generate another action but you prefer not to do so.

– I gave you the RENAME (folder) option to work with old action, and you perfer not to rename the folder.

– Since you don’t wanna rename the folder but want to work on separate (or other folder), so I gave you the option to MOVE and you don’t want to move.

– Since you don’t wanna MOVE then I gave the COPY option and you say it takes more than 20 mins

… and I also gave the info of using small File Rename util and you still don’t want it. <bg>

My system works very well for me, and I love it. It is the main reason I never shoot jpg any more, even if I don’t nee any other features of RAW files. A couple years ago, I went to an event to photograph dog agility. And my larger memory card failed early on. So, I was stuck with a lot less memory than I had planned. Eventually, I had to switch to jpg files to conserve space. I found a huge difference in dealing with the photos later.

Good! if it works well then there should be no problem.

Your opinion.

I’m sure if I could show you in person what I do, then it would make more sense why I like use the RAW system, and why it works better for me. I agree that the copy and batch operation doesn’t take a lot of time. Less than half an hour for a weekend of photos. BUT! I do the other way as I work on the photos, and that time is already spent anyway. I will always go through them one at a time while choosing, so it just makes sense for me to do it this way. When I am at a cat show, I go through them very fast so that I can show only the photos I want the customers to see. I never show them the original files. I always check the color, crop if needed, and save to a new folder. Then, when they come back, I show them the new folder.

If I can do it within photoshop in fewer steps (my way taks two clicks of the mouse), then why would I want to go into another program, copy files into various folders, and then back to photoshop to run batch operations? I already have an easy way to do it with one type of file. It sounds wonderful that CS3 now allows that to be done with all types of file. I am not asking for advice or even complaining. This discussion asked why anybody would want to use the RAW converter for a non-RAW file, and I asked if CS2 would do this, because it doesn’t. And CS3 does. So, I see a good benefit of this addition.

I guess you can try to follow these steps.

1. Open CS2 (or CS3 whatever you have).

2. And scream at the monitor telling it to do what you want it to do <bg>
F
friesian
Jul 12, 2007
I am not complaining. CS2 has worked awesome for me. I was just trying to give a reason as to why somebody would want to open psd or jpg files as a RAW file.

That is ALL! I am NOT asking for advice or complaining. CS3 sounds great!

And as soon as I start shooting jpgs again, I will upgrade, and then it will do exactly what I want. At this time, I am not shooting jpg files, so I am not having any problem. I was ONLY bringing up an issue that the CS3 upgrade will help, because I see it as a valid reason to upgrade for this feature.

I asked if there was a way in CS2 to do it the SAME way that I do it with RAW files, and the answer was NO. That was all I asked. I wanted to confirm that this is indeed an upgrade in CS3.

Sure, there are ways to get the same end results. But I was asking if it could be done the SAME way. I don’t see why you see it is complaining. I LOVE the way it works in RAW. It is the REASON I shoot in RAW all the time, rather than just when I need RAW. It works for me very well, and I am happy.

Is there something wrong with using the RAW converter? I saw that several people seemed to scoff at the idea of using it for NON-RAW files.
BP
Barry Pearson
Jul 13, 2007
On Jul 12, 10:10 am, ""
wrote:
[snip]
Is there something wrong with using the RAW converter? I saw that several people seemed to scoff at the idea of using it for NON-RAW files.

It is now best not to think of ACR as just a raw converter (despite its name). It is quite a powerful photograph processor for raw, JPEG, and TIFF. (Like other products such as Lightroom, and presumably Aperture, etc).

I nearly always shoot raw, but I’ve had to shoot JPEG under strict time constraints, and my timing suggests that ACR 4.x under CS3 is a fast way to do simple changes, (such as cropping, or apply a common preset), to 100s of JPEG before exporting them for use. I was able to do 115 JPEGs in 19 minutes, from loading Bridge, (I didn’t use Photoshop at all), through rapid (individual) crops, to applying a common preset, then exporting them. About 10 seconds or so per JPEG.

(Now I would probably use Lightroom to do that, although I haven’t timed it, but for someone without Lightroom ACR 4.x can be very effective in some cases).

Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/
R
Rhonda
Jul 18, 2007
I’m coming in late here, but why don’t you go through and make individual corrections as you are, then do Save As to a folder called "corrected" or something similar, with no individual file name change. Maybe have a "corrected" folder for each animal. The corrected images that you want would be the only things in there, and your originals would remain unchanged (which is the way we were taught in school…)

Then you can automate the name changes in the corrected folder to "Sunny 01" etc. in just a few seconds.

Rhonda

wrote:

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections