DM
Posted By
dave_milbut
Aug 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
who uses Irfanview? is there a way to make the program rememeber the thumbnails in a given folder rather than have it re-scan and regenerate thumbs each time a folder is entered? like export cache or something?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
Yes.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
ok. how?
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
Set its most recent directory buffer to 100, and then never let it stop running.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
nope. are you trying to be funny? cuz once was funny. joe miller wouldn’t be impressed. don rickles maybe but not joe.

setting the mrud just keeps a list of the most recently used directories for quick access. it doesn’t keep the thumbnails.

for example if i look at c:\ and wait for it to do all the files (about 20) then change to d:\ then back to c:\ it needs to re-scan all the files in c:\ because all the thumbnails it had generated the first time are gone.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
I dunno… this sounds like a job for someone much brighter than I. I tried to use it as a programming editor, and it didn’t do any better at that than it did as a replacement for Adobe® Photoshop® Album", either.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
like i said in the lounge, i already use graphics workshop as a general purpose browser/viewer/converter. i’m looking for a better way, so i’m hoping someone knows if this is possible.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 30, 2004
I think you need to yell louder Dave.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
Dave, the program isn’t designed to do what you want to do. It seems like it could be added by a professional programmer, but it looks like the guy who wrote it, saw it as a converter/viewer, using a lot of open source and public domain libraries and documentation, to get his name around while he was still in school.

It supports lots of formats and does conversions, but it’s not a whole-world thumbnail viewer. There are programs for that; isn’t Conversions Plus still around?
DG
Dion_G
Aug 30, 2004
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
it seemed like it should be able to since it was a small step from viewing the thumbs to writing them.

It seems like it could be added by a professional programmer

so are you trying to say there’s source code for it somewhere? he talks about plugin coding a bit, but only in context of adding support for new file formats. if you have an answer, stop being obtuse and spit it out already. you know what i’m asking, this isn’t the lounge.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
so are you trying to say there’s source code for it somewhere?

There are libraries and documentation available for all of the tougher parts, but I don’t think that application is open source. See places like <http://www.wotsit.org/> for documentation and some code links, and <http://freshmeat.net/> and <http://sourceforge.net/> for libraries–and maybe some semi-finished applications something like you want.

I needed a little utility to change resolution information in about ten file formats, so I looked at wotsit.org, and wrote it from scratch as a little Windows application in a couple thousand lines of C. You would probably have to write 20K lines, and link a few dozen libraries, including a database application to get what you want.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
again, i HAVE an app that does what i want. i was wondering specifically if irfanview does, because specifically irfanview does a lot of nice things and i would be willing to dump GWS for it. i guess not.
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
Yeah, it’s about 90% right. I don’t know how you’d get that other 10% out of it.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
LOL! That’s what I’m asking… if anyone knows. I’m not gonna go into shock if it’s not possible, it just seems to be almost natural. Almost any other prog that does thumbnails allows you to save the thumbs somewhere (or does it automatically). So back to post 0! 🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 30, 2004
Dave, the mighty mite doesn’t do what you want.
Doesn’t cache thumbnails, doesn’t do a .db type file anywhere.

You can make contact sheet from selected thumbs, output HTML page, stuff like that.

But it has to read directies each time you revisit them. The only cacheing going on would be briefly in your CPU/RAM as per normal OS operations.

Mac
NN
nilk_narf
Aug 30, 2004
Hm. What’s everybody doing over here? 🙂 What’s this forum called?
RH
r_harvey
Aug 30, 2004
Hi Nilk,

This is is the place where they construct threads, before sending them to the Lounge.
DG
Dion_G
Aug 30, 2004
LOL! It’s the Photoshop Bedroom.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 30, 2004
I need to go to the bathroom.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 30, 2004
Dave, the mighty mite doesn’t do what you want. Doesn’t cache thumbnails, doesn’t do a .db type file anywhere.

thank you mac. i appreciate it.

re: #’s 17, 18 & 19: really, truly LOL!!! my dog is looking at me funny. ok bob, you can wrap it up, unless you have a bit of humor to add. 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 30, 2004
Dave,

I’m glad you asked that question. I haven’t installed IrfanView yet, and I would probably be disappointed when I found that out on my own (but not complaining because of the price). In case you weren’t already aware ACDSee DOES cache thumbs, and has settings for when to, and when not to create them – like always on hard drive, never on removable media, etc. Pretty comprehensive in that way.

Just my penny’s worth.

Peace,
Tony
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 31, 2004
wrote:

nope. are you trying to be funny? cuz once was funny. joe miller wouldn’t be impressed. don rickles maybe but not joe.

setting the mrud just keeps a list of the most recently used directories for quick access. it doesn’t keep the thumbnails.

for example if i look at c:\ and wait for it to do all the files (about 20) then change to d:\ then back to c:\ it needs to re-scan all the files in c:\ because all the thumbnails it had generated the first time are gone.

Personally, I find saving thumbnails an annoyance, but if you want this feature (it’s NOT in 3.92), you can email the suggestion to the author and it may well appear in the next version. He is very accessible.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections