BP
Posted By
Bob Polk
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The double log on here is a nuisance. The first log on accomplishes nothing but delay. Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Joe Henry1000
Jul 20, 2003
Bob,

I only have to log on once. How come you have to double log on?

Joe
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 20, 2003
I never have to log on. I have the first forum page listed on my list of favorites. One click and I’m there.
KW
Kyle White
Jul 20, 2003
The site uses a cookie to keep track of your having logged in. If you’ve got cookies turned off in your browser, then mutliple requests to log on are probable.

What I’ve done (Mozilla 1.4) is "Enable cookies from orignating site only", "Disable cookies in Mail/Newsgroups" and "Limit maximum lifetime of cookies to current session". This keeps off-site advertisers or spam from setting a cookie and cleans things out when I shutdown Mozilla, usually several times a day. So I have to log in once each time I re-start Mozilla, but using Mozilla’s internal password system, this is quick and easy.

HTH

Kyle
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 20, 2003
If you’ve already bookmarked this site and keep being asked for a double log on, try deleting the bookmark. I got mine in the wrong spot after I changed browsers, and you’re right, it is a nuisance. I got rid of the old bookmark, went in manually and logged on to this page, and then I set a new bookmark. Now I have automatic log in right to the list of current threads.
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 20, 2003
Ray, yes, aware. I keep my yahoo and Adobe cookie as first 2 and then delete the rest of them every couple weeks.
B
bluegaga
Jul 20, 2003
Ray…this is a bit OT, but speaking of cookies…I have never clicked to remove cookie files. I remove the temporary files (or whatever all those sites are that I constantly visit and have hundreds of them) occasionally. The
cookie remove is right next to this in the same dialog box. Can I remove them? And what are the results I will notice from doing so???? I am Windows 98-2 and on IE 6. Thanks and hope I made it clear enough what I am talking about. Dorothy
NS
Nancy S
Jul 20, 2003
Dorothy,

The only cookies you may wish to save are from a site you visited which requires a password. The password is stored in the cookie. Two choices; delete all cookies in one motion (you will have to log in manually to any sites requiring a PW at next visit) OR comb through the cookies and delete one by one leaving those with a PW.

Nancy
R
Ray
Jul 21, 2003
Dorothy,

Nancy is right. If you delete all your cookies, you’ll have to log in again with all those sites (like the classroom, the Yahoo! group, etc.) I only delete my temporary internet files on a regular basis, and the cookies only when I have problems.

Ray
B
bluegaga
Jul 21, 2003
Nancy and Ray…Thanks so much for your answers. And I think I will just let the cookies alone! I am wanting more RAM…but my daughter has added all she thinks my computer will take. Doesn’t think anymore would help me. I think I had 64 to begin and now have 256, but computer 3 years old and a 98-2 that was not powerful to begin with. I have eliminated everything I think is safe to do…but resourses get down in the 40’s very easily. I have to delete a number of running things each time I boot to ever get it upto 70, of course they come back each time I boot. I get that is about all I can do. Someday I will just have to get a better computer I guess!

Thanks again to both of you. Dorothy
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 21, 2003
Dorothy, have you searched on any of the sites that let you plug in the specifications of your computer and return an assessment of the kind and amount of RAM it will take? A three year old computer is no Spring chicken, but mine is four years old and will take a gig. One site on which you can do that is

<http://www.datamem.com>

256 seems a little low, even for an older computer.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 21, 2003
Beth, my three-year old computer has a motherboard limitation of 512; enough, but certainly not robust… Chuck
R
Ray
Jul 21, 2003
Besides, I don’t believe Windows 98 (2.. means second edition ?) will make good use of memory over 512Mb. I know that Windows 98 (vanilla) won’t and in fact, over 512Mb, the computer will start to slow down as memory increases.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 21, 2003
Ray, thanks – that makes me feel better….I think!
🙂

Chuck (Win 98 SE slug….)
R
Ray
Jul 21, 2003
Chuck, my 2 years old motherboard is supposed to accept RAM up to 3GB. Unfortunately, and perhaps someone here can tell me where, but I’ve yet to find 1GB SD-RAM modules. All I can find are 512 modules. So my computer is now at 1.25 GB (512+512+256). And unless I can find 1GB modules, I believe it will stay there untill a new computer replaces it (and perhaps a Mac for that matter!)

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 21, 2003
I do know there’s a limitation to a lot of motherboards, however Dorothy said she thought hers had maxed out at 256. That seemed pretty low for a computer only three years old. Specs change, too. When I bought my PowerBook almost three years ago, the max RAM was 512. Thanks to technology, I can now get 1GB in it. Same thing with my desktop, which is now at 1GB, whereas "the book" says 512. Nice. 🙂
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 21, 2003
Ray, oh no! You’re considering going over to ‘the other side’?? Say it ain’t so, Ray…..!

😉

Chuck
NS
Nancy S
Jul 22, 2003
I think we all belong to the same family…sore eyes and butts!
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 22, 2003
Hey, Chuck, the "other side" ain’t the "dark side", it’s just another option in a world full of them! I have to admit that when MS introduced XP, I started to feel a lot more comfortable on Win machines. Not, however, enough to move to one of them full time. I think the best deal is to have one of each.

So, Ray, my suggestion is to hold off until the second generation G5s come out, which is what I’m going to do. It’ll take a while to get some of the rough edges smoothed out, and then – for once -I think I’d like something close to current technology! I’ve never had a state of the art computer, so maybe I won’t like it? It’ll be too fast and I’ll have to tie a knot in the power cord to slow it down? 🙂
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
To be honnest Chuck, I’ve started considering this option last year, but due to financial consideration, this project got postponed. But next year, I will definitively switch to the "dark side" (which is, to me, the bright side!)

I just got an old, but still functional, Powerbook 500, runing Mac OS 8.1. That’s cool, I mean, to learn how to do stuff around a Mac that is.

Frankly, I’m fed up playing System Administrator at home to get everything to work. And Microsoft keeps sending one update after another (3 last week, 2 the week before), and my hard drive keeps looking smaller and smaller 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Beth,

That’s another thing with PCs… you buy some piece of hardware on Monday, then on Wednesday, you’re already one notch behind, and by Sunday morning, better not even think of downloading a game demo to test it, it won’t work because "you don’t have enough of this, or a powerfull enough that, etc.".

I’ll admit, though, Windows XP is much more stable than its predecessors. But still, for example, installing MSN Messenger version 5.0 over version
4.7, I ended up with two Messengers. A search on Microsoft knowledge base
resulted in me being forced to edit a system file, to get Messenger 4.7 to appear in the "uninstalable" list of components, to finally remove it. Something I shouldn’t even have done because Messenger 5.0 was an upgrade! And Messenger is "an integrated part of the operating system" so they say, "and cannot be removed", says Microsoft. Surprisingly, with a tweak in a file (remove "hide" from a line), Messenger suddenly appears in that list and can be removed… How fortunate 🙂

I got my eyes on an iMac G4 with a 17" monitor (LCD), 1GB of RAM. A G5 would be nice, granted, but the price may be a show stopper here. Unless I get one of those towers which would make use of my current monitor / mouse / etc (to save a few $$$).

And I’ll be forced to keep the PC for at least a few years more, because I use it for work, and some applications I won’t buy a Mac version of.

And I’m easy enough with UNIX so Mac OS X won’t be a problem. And my friend is a real UNIX guru, this helps a lot 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Beth,

That power cord thing, my brother (who as a Mac also) told me this story. He heard it from a tech guy at Apple Canada. Too funny 🙂

I don’t believe any computer can be too fast. It will just leave more time for Life’s other things (spending more time outside gardening, taking a walk, etc.) 🙂

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 22, 2003
Hi, Ray. If you do decide to get a mac, and you want to try some of your pc apps on it, sometimes you can get a crossgrade price to do that. Still a lot of money, though.

BTW, the mac way in 8.1 isn’t much like the way of OS X, I’m afraid, at least not to us oldtime mac folks.

It will just leave more time for Life’s other things (spending more time outside gardening, taking a
walk, etc.)

Just curious — Has getting a faster computer EVER had that result for you? For me, it’s just the opposite–no more time these days to go drink a cup of coffee and read the paper while the file opens. 😉
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Barbara,

I know about 8.1 being different, but still, it’s an inside about a "foreign" world to me 🙂

Just curious — Has getting a faster computer EVER had that result for
you? For me, it’s just the opposite–no more time these days to go drink a cup of coffee and read the paper while the file opens. 😉

Yes, because not so long ago, developping programs in Visual Basic and other languages, compiling a program could take 15 to 30 minutes (with all the modules linked together). Now with a faster computer, the same works takes 5 or 10 minutes. I do set myself a limit on the amount of time I spend in front of the computer, that helps 🙂 But not for the glorious reasons of spending more time away from it, at least, not always. I do so because I can’t handle a pointing device for too long (though the stylus and its tablet helps a lot), and because I do need to go out and have some fresh air.

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 22, 2003
I’m glad you got good news from the site Dorothy!

As far as how to go about adding – your daughter will have to look inside your computer to see how many slots you have available for RAM. If, for example, you only have two, then you’ll have to buy two new 256s and put one in each slot in order to get it up to 512. There are a number of possible configurations, but she’ll be able to figure it out.

Congratulations!!
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 22, 2003
Ray – I almost lost track of the third subject of this thread! 🙂

The iMacs are wonderful, and there are millions of happy users, but before you "commit" to one, check out the duals, which are now available only in towers. With as much digital editing as you do, you might find one of those suits you better in the long run. That’s what I’ll be getting the next time, because virtually all of my serious computer work is on images. I haven’t moved up to a digital camcorder yet, but when I do I know I’ll almost have to have that extra processing power.

All of the new Macs, by the way, come with keyboards and mice, and it’s quite likely you can use your old monitor, too, although it might require an adapter. You might even find a number of your peripherals have software that will let them be used on Macs. Most of mine are like that. My dedicated slide scanner is the only one that’s platform specific, and it’s Win only. 🙁 (Which is why I lose some of my valuable desk real estate to an old Win 98 machine!)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 22, 2003
Beth,

I’ll make sure to look at all that’s available once the time will come for me to switch.

But I’ll also set myself a pre-spending limit (just to avoid getting carried away!)

Thanks again Beth!

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 22, 2003
Anybody who has one of those Canon cameras has a spending limit a lot higher than mine to begin with! 🙂
I
imacgirl
Jul 22, 2003
Did I hear my name? 😉 Yes, I do LOVE my flat-panel iMac! For my first computer, it has served its purpose very well. Now that I learned how to run one, the next one I get will probably be a tower and a much larger display, unless they come out with a 23" fp iMac! The eye appealing compact design and the adjustable LCD are really terrific features…but then again, all of Apple’s products are well engineered.

🙂

Barb
RB
Richard B Testa
Jul 22, 2003
You also can drag and drop "Mac & Win" to your desk top, that will put you one click away to the User Forum.
Ben
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
Good point Beth 🙂

But, to my defense, I have to say that I didn’t buy that cam alone. My friend and I bought it together (that helps a lot!)

Ray
R
Ray
Jul 22, 2003
That’s a really good idea Barbara (the G4). I’ll keep an eye open (or two!) for them!

Thanks a lot for this very detailed note!

Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections