AS
Posted By
Adamn_Smith
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
No one in other forums were able to help me so I will try here now.

I have legit versions of all of my Adobe programs and I have registered 1 of the 4 I have. The one I have registered is PREMIERE 6.5, and the three that are not yet registered are After Effects 5.5, Photoshop 7, and Illustrator. I havent registered the latter three because I am always in need of customer support, and I don’t want my 3 months of Tech service to start until I need them to!

My problem/question: Whenever I open any of my Adobe products I get something reading "awedbfiles4 No personal information is being transferred" along with 2 or 3 other files that are being transfered. This happend out of the blue a few months back and I figured it would just go away. What is this? Sometimes it will get stalled up on this ‘transfer’ and I have to force quit the program and re-open it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Feb 15, 2004
Edit > Preferences > Adobe Online Preferences > Update Options

Set "Check for updates" to Never. You’ll never see that message again.

As for not registering Photoshop 7, I don’t know that you still get your 3 months of free tech support now that Photoshop 8 (CS) has been about for three months.
B
Buko
Feb 15, 2004
The clock does not start running till you call tech support the first time.

not regestering is just plain stupid.

and as Ramón pointed out the next version is released already.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 15, 2004
I’ve registered with Adobe as far back as 4.01 and then 5 and everytime I’ve called customer service, sales or tech support, they never have my name on their database.
AS
Adamn_Smith
Feb 16, 2004
BUKO – "not regestering is just plain stupid. "

Why is that? What is the true point of registering? And what could so important about it that it is considered ignorant to NOT do it?

Just curious.

And thanks all for help!
B
Buko
Feb 16, 2004
Well if you were to loose your serial number Adobe could tell you what it is for one.

if you were to ever have your software stolen or destoryed some how Adobe would replace it for a nominal fee.

but if you wait till something like that happens your outa luck. The thing that crosses my mind when somebody does not register is the software is not really theirs, so they can’t. this may not be the case with you, but there is always some body who drops in the forum wanting to know how they can get their number because they need to reinstall and can’t find the disks.

so the question one should ask is why not register?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Feb 16, 2004
The answer to your question is that the files are from the Adobe Online support data base. You can disable this by removing from the plug ins folder the Adobe Online plug in. Or in the preferences the Adobe Online or in the Application Support>Adobe>Web and remove that web folder.

You should register. But there is no law that says you have to?
R
Ram
Feb 16, 2004
Say you have your original install CDs stolen together with the serial number. The thief can register the applications and you are severely out of luck.

Even if you just lose them and can’t find them, like Buko said, you can’t do a thing about it if you are not registered. You could also lose them in a fire.
I
iGary
Feb 16, 2004
I had a situation when I didn’t register either my Photoshop 4 or 5 (I forget which). I did finally get around to it over a year after I bought it. When I did try to register my serial number was in use by someone else. I called Adobe and they had me provide proof of purchase, so it worked out in the long run. Just a bit of hassle and stress.

I never did find out whether the serial number was perhaps reused by Adobe because of my inaction (that seems unlikely), somehow stolen (that one would be weird as the packaging was sealed when I bought it), or maybe a duplicate number was somehow generated. It was just plain weird.
R
Ram
Feb 16, 2004
Most people would have difficulty finding their proof of purchase after a while. Registering from the beginning is a lot easier.
I did not register Quark when I first got it. When I did get around to it (when I wanted to upgrade)… someone else had registered my number. Big hastle & 3 months of argueing, sending in proof of purchases, screen shots etc.

Come to find out.. my number was generated randomly at one of those sites where you can get free codes to unlock software… and the bugger who used my number actually registered it.

It all worked out in the end.. I was issued a new number & was allowed to upgrade. But what a hasstle.

Now.. I regiser as soon after I install as I can.
B
Buko
Feb 17, 2004
As I said, not registering is just plain stupid.
S
Shep
Feb 17, 2004
Wade touched on the answer of what it is,

The answer to your question is that the files are from the Adobe Online support data base.

but I’ve wondered since getting PS7.0—just a couple months ago—whether this is something which is of benefit to me or just a nuisance. ie., What exactly is being downloaded? Can’t find any reference to it.

Thanks for any input.
B
Buko
Feb 17, 2004
If you have applied the 7.01 update nothing. and sice the new version has been released chances are slim to none there will be another update for 7.
S
Shep
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks Buko.

I did update to 7.0.1 immediately after 7.0 install. I figured that there would not be any other updates between it and "PS8", but I thought that since it was coming on frequently, but not always, that it was doing "minor" file updates that didn’t require an upgrade.

Thanks again.
R
Ram
Feb 17, 2004
What exactly is being downloaded?

As Buko said, nothing, in the case of Photoshop 7.0.1. The checking of files for updates is doing nothing except wasting your time and exposing you to application lockups when there are problems at the Adobe site. By all means turn the darned thing off.
S
Shep
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks Ramón, it’s off.
AS
Adamn_Smith
Feb 20, 2004
Well, I get a chance to register my other three programs and two silly things.

1) Earlier I click "I would like to register now!" or whatever, and it won’t contact the website.

2) I try it again now and I need to log in with my Adamn Smith name and password, but I appearently made my password something even I couldn’t remember. So, I click "Forgot password" and the stupid thing brings up a "Password Assistance Page" that wants to know my Username and Password. There was no "click here and password will be emailed to the email address given at the time of account creation". Yet, I am signed into the forums automatically.

Call support tomorrow I guess…….. It’s just that, most other sites I lose my password to has a "click here to retrieve password" link.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections