TC
Posted By
tony cooper
Jun 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Either in this group, or another PS group, there was a post sometime back on the proper command for filling a layer with a solid color.

The post (or thread) deprecated using the Paint Bucket and suggested using another command.

What was the other command, and why is it better?

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

N
nomail
Jun 14, 2007
tony cooper wrote:

Either in this group, or another PS group, there was a post sometime back on the proper command for filling a layer with a solid color.
The post (or thread) deprecated using the Paint Bucket and suggested using another command.

How about ‘Edit – Fill…’? Why is it better? Because the Paint bucket doesn’t fill the entire layer, unless the layer is currently one solid color already. The Paint Bucket only replaces the color you click on, so if the layer contains more than one color, only one will be replaced.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
M
MisterOwl
Jun 14, 2007
On Jun 14, 8:49 am, tony cooper wrote:
[snip]

Alt-Backspace will fill a layer or selection with whatever your foreground color happens to be. I think there’s a similar command to fill a layer or selection with your selected background color, but I can’t remember what it is.

Whether it’s better or not, *shrug*

Replace Alt with Option on Macs, I believe.

HTH
J
I
Infinitech
Jun 14, 2007
I think there’s a similar command to
fill a layer or selection with your selected background color, but I can’t remember what it is.

replace Alt by Ctrl

Infinitech
J
Joel
Jun 14, 2007
tony cooper wrote:

*If* you don’t want to use the Fill-Bucket for some reason like "against your religion" or "too easy to challenge" etc..

Then you can try Paint_Brush. It’s better because it will tell you that Fill-Bucket is faster and simpler <bg>
T
Tacit
Jun 14, 2007
In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

Hold down the Alt (Mac: Option) key on the Keyboard and press the Delete key.

The Paint Bucket isn’t a fill tool. It’s a combination of "fill" and "magic wand." It looks at the color of the pixel you clicked on, then spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it encounters pixels of a different color, where it stops.

Because it does not fill an entire area, but only an area of similar color, this means that it may not behave as the people who think it is a fill tool expect. Unlike other paint programs, Photoshop has no generic Fill tool.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
Tacit
Jun 14, 2007
In article ,
MisterOwl wrote:

I think there’s a similar command to
fill a layer or selection with your selected background color, but I can’t remember what it is.

PC: Control-Delete. Mac: Command-Delete.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
Tacit
Jun 14, 2007
In article ,
Joel wrote:

*If* you don’t want to use the Fill-Bucket for some reason like "against your religion" or "too easy to challenge" etc..

A better reason is "because it isn’t a fill tool, and so it won’t behave as expected if the image isn’t one single color to begin with."

TC
tony cooper
Jun 15, 2007
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:23:48 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

All good answers and I appreciate them. Because I normally only fill a new layer, I’ve never noticed the "fill until a new color is met" problem.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
R
Rob
Jun 15, 2007
tony cooper wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:23:48 -0400, tacit wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

All good answers and I appreciate them. Because I normally only fill a new layer, I’ve never noticed the "fill until a new color is met" problem.

Its

Layers > New Fill Layer > Solid Colour or Gradient or Pattern

r
J
Joel
Jun 15, 2007
tacit wrote:

In article ,
tony cooper wrote:

Hold down the Alt (Mac: Option) key on the Keyboard and press the Delete key.

The Paint Bucket isn’t a fill tool. It’s a combination of "fill" and "magic wand." It looks at the color of the pixel you clicked on, then spreads out in all directions, filling as it goes, until it encounters pixels of a different color, where it stops.

Because it does not fill an entire area, but only an area of similar color, this means that it may not behave as the people who think it is a fill tool expect. Unlike other paint programs, Photoshop has no generic Fill tool.

YES and NO depending on how you use it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections