Adobe, What are the rules for setting Image Cache in Prefs?

Z
Posted By
zoozx
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Default is 4,
I work on hugh images 750 mb – 2 gigs normally and very often up to 4 gigs. Scott told me to bump it to 8 which I did but in this thread zoozx "Problem reading layer data error? Composite data instead? WTF" 2/11/04 1:29pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/14>
Chris questioned if i was using 4 like that is what I should be using, so I’m confused. What should i be using and Why.

Thanks!

G5 2.5 gigs ram OSX.3 PS CS8

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
MarkATS
Feb 13, 2004
Use 4 because it appears settings higher than that are causing data corruption.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 13, 2004
Interesting.

Mark, I have had my cache on "8" since I installed CS and have not seen any data corruption.
Does this only happen on certain machines, or have you seen it on all models?

[ I am running CS on a G5 2 GHz Dual with OS 10.3.2]
Z
zoozx
Feb 13, 2004
I’ve seen it on my Dual G5 2 gig with X.3.2 set at 8
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 13, 2004
Not data corruption. The data in the file is fine. It’s just that a bug in the Layer Effects pattern code sometimes has an issue reading it’s own data when the cache level is greater than 4. If you’re not dealing with patterned Layer Effects, setting the cache level to 8 can help with performance of large files.

If you have an issue reading a file, it’s simple – turn the cache levels down to 4, restart Photoshop CS and open the file.

-Scott
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 13, 2004
<< If you have an issue reading a file, it’s simple – turn the cache levels down to 4, restart Photoshop CS and open the file. >>

Thank you Scott for this most useful information which I have tucked carefully into my personal "RAM" — hoping that it won’t prove to be too "R".

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections