Posted By
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
what up everyone

What font should I use for a resume ? Is there a stndard font ?

I understand that a PS PDF should be then opened in indesign to insure the resume prints and can be viewed cross platform
The problem is I don’t have ID . Is there anyother way to go about this? When the PS PDF is printed on a pc the resume looks like poop

Thanks for your time

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 13, 2004
Why on Earth would you type a resume in Photoshop??? Use a word processing program.
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Feb 13, 2004
Dermot,

I personally don’t care for comments that sound condescending. They sound arrogant and… well, condescending. But if you’ll grant me the liberty – your opening line makes you seem young and unprofessional. What’s wrong with young? Nothing, but it is the joking, hip connotation that may rub people the wrong way. Although we hate to admit it, business… and doing work for clients is serious stuff with big money often on the line, tight deadlines to hurdle, etc. and it worries people if they think their "partners in business" may not be taking things as seriously as they do. The more professional and to the point you can sound the better off you will be. I owned a business from many, many years and was the personnel manager (doing all the hiring) for a large company for several years before that and although others may not share my viewpoint I think reality will prove me correct. Save the hip stuff and clowning around for the social gatherings. I know you may say "I just threw out a stupid question in a forum…what’s the deal?"… but you asked about a resume and so I thought I’d throw this out.

Others can probably comment better on your output problems. I don’t know why a PS pdf would end up "looking like poop". It should end up as an intact piece, but at any rate there is nothing wrong with doing it in Word. And I (myself) would recommend something basic in typestyle (Times New Roman, Garamond) with a creative format. You can go with fancier typesyles but don’t lose sight of the fact that it’s a communication device and should not be hard to read. Good luck.

Gordon
B
Buko
Feb 13, 2004
A resume is to inform a prospective employer your work history.

Give them one made in Photoshop and it will most likely end up in the trash.

If you need to send a portfolio thats another story.

Resume do it in Word.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
Resume do it in Word.

No. And the correct term is Microsoft Worst.

Make your resume in a program that offers precise and consistent type control. If you have InDesign then that is perfect. When you are happy with the result, make a PDF (lewest version of Acrobat you can select) and use that for emailing. It will open in any version of Adobe Acrobat, Mac or PC, and print perfectly.

Font: there is no standard font. Use what you like. Be aware that if you’re resume seems hard to scan and difficult to read, it won’t get ten seconds of attention. sans-serif typefaces reproduce well on screen and on low-resolution laser and inkjet printers. If you will be using a fax modem to sent the resume, then sans-serif fons are definitely superior to serifs, as the lack of detail rpoduces a small fax file, thus faser transmission, and is much more readable.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Feb 13, 2004
And be sure to double check your spelling!
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
A necessity on resumes, a luxury on Adobe suppor foums.
I would use a layout program to put a resume together (InDesign, Quark) or even Word if I did not have a layout program.

I would never do it in Photoshop.

As for font.. make it readable.

Here are some links to tutorials for creating a resume:

<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/workshops/hypertext/ResumeW/>

<http://camden-www.rutgers.edu/CPP/resume.html>

<http://abacus.bates.edu/admin/offices/career/help/tutorial/>
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 13, 2004
Sweet
Great advice Guys . I really do appreicate your time and help. well off to work on my resume

Thanks again
dermot
L
LRK
Feb 13, 2004
Bonnie is always so helpful on this stuff! It’s nice to see her back here.

I take it you are finally enjoying a slight breather Bonnie. 🙂
Thanks Linda–

YES!! Slight breather

Got both product catalogs & the magazines out the door.

And the gift wrap designs are under review (I think we got the printing problems settled… we will see)
L
LRK
Feb 13, 2004
I’m excited about the gift wrap designs… and glad you got the printing problems resolved.
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 14, 2004
Sorry to nag everyone again. I was wondering if I should put my design experience after objective or should I just go with odjective , education then work experience.bonniej thanks for the links. I appreicate everyones time and help
Well i’m off to do some drawing
Thanks again
Don’t use a serif font, (difficult to read)

Don’t over do it (adding pictures and crappola to make it look fancy)

A small logo somewhere is a good idea.

KISS is the way to go.
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2004
KISS is the way to go.

A picture of Gene Simmons spitting blood is a sure fire way to impress your prospective employer.
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2004
I know "Keep It Simple Stupid"
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 14, 2004
LOL
Gene Simmons is the man
Thanks for your time guys
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 14, 2004
Speaking of Gene, check out this page (just for fun)

<http://www.geocities.com/skullbones.geo/crooks.html>
B
Buko
Feb 14, 2004
Ed, now look what you did.

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 14, 2004
From my experience with some HP laserprinters PDF resumes built with TrueType fonts don’t print as smooth or predictable as with PostScript fonts. The differences were subtle, though.

I don’t know if it was the printer or the way I built the PDF out of Pagemaker using Distiller 3.01.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 14, 2004
No serif font??? are you serious, MO? Serifs are esier to read in print that san serif. I’d absolutely say go with a serif font for the basic body of a resume.

And to answer your question on order of items, Dermot. Place your "objective" first. After that list experience, education, skills, etc in the order that most favors you. If you have far more work experience than education, place experience after the objective. If you have a great deal of impresive education place that after the objective.
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 14, 2004
Everyone has been more then helpful. I appreicate everyones time and efforts Thanks again
Dermot
GA
Gordon_Anderson
Feb 14, 2004
You’re welcome Dermot. Good luck to you.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 15, 2004
I have always been puzzled by the fact that I have to see web sites etc in a sans serif font or I just can’t stand to read them, but printed material has to be in a serif font or it drives me nuts. It must be something about the resolution of the two media.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 15, 2004
feh – I’ve been doing layout for some movie reviews for the local music mag – I’ve been quite happy with Optima – set the text spacing to about 20% to separate it and get some white space. It looks cleaner than the other articles that use Times.

Scott is right, seriff is usually easier to read, but Times drives me crazy now.
B
Buko
Feb 15, 2004
My fave Minion.
No serif font??? are you serious, MO? Serifs are easier to read in print that san serif. I’d absolutely say go with a serif font for the basic body of a resume. <

An old type setter sold me on this ideology.

Use what you want to, but if it’s difficult to read under 12 point, don’t use it.

Just use some common sense and test people with readings out loud to see if they falter.

I’d just work within "some guidelines."

In the end, it’s really up to you.

My resume is Americana. Very custom sections broken up into quadrants.

You choose what you want to read as a first cluster of mind numbing crap.

Never missed a job offer with this one and I intend to stick with it.

hmm..

to each his own.

pave your own road…

then, drive it really hard and try and break it..

My toys didn’t last very long when I was a child, but I did submit a design to LEGO at the age of 10.

I still wonder where the profits went to………
L
LRK
Feb 15, 2004
Good link Mike.

Battered house wife? :\
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 15, 2004
Battered house wife?

Sounds delicious!
Linda,

If you had my job, you’d think the same.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Feb 16, 2004
I agree with the quadrent thing, MO. That’s pretty much how mine is set up . . a series of columns rather than a list. Never missed a call back. Americana is a serif btw 🙂 Good choice.
L
LRK
Feb 16, 2004
Sorry about that Mike.

I too like Americana.
Yea the quad "cross" thing works really well for ease of use and even brain dead prepress types think the idea is creative. Then again, I’ve gotten jobs where they didn’t even read the resume and signed me up based upon my charm.

go figure….

The folks I’m working for now have no idea WTF is going on. All that they know is that Christ has come.

OR is that the BIG BAD WOLF.

I always get those two mixed up……
JR
Joe_Reale
Feb 16, 2004
I made a resume in photoshop. But it’s not your standard B&W text. I put a small amount of graphics on it to make it noticeable.

When I used to use old-fashioned B&W text resumes, it never got noticed. The minute I put some graphics on, then I started to get interviews. The most recent one was done entirely in PS. Though, I have yet to send it in.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 16, 2004
You will be in much better shape if you put your resume in a program that can export text. The PDF you email will be much smaller, searchable, copy & pastable, and render far better. Illustrator will let you do just about everything you’re doing in PS.
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 17, 2004
Hello Everyone
I was just wondering what Americana is ?
Is there an ex. on the web I can check out or somewhere I could read up on this. That was a great link Mike . Well I must get back to work

Thanks again for everything
dermot
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 17, 2004
<http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_068.jhtml>

A rather uninteresting face, not very modern, not very classical. Also not very efficent in terms of space.
R
Ram
Feb 17, 2004
What first comes to mind with Americana is Kleenex tissues. It’s (or used to be) on every box of Kleenex.
DR
Dermot_Reddan
Feb 17, 2004
I had no idea it was a font .
Thanks for your time guys

Dermot
L
LRK
Feb 17, 2004
I happen to like Americana but my set is so old (1990) I’m afraid to use it.
R
Ram
Feb 18, 2004
Americana can be very effective in design, as opposed to a text face for long passages.

I just looked at the box of Kleenex to my left, and it seems Kleenex has dropped Americana.
R
Ram
Feb 18, 2004
Americana but my set is so old (1990) I’m afraid to use it.

I checked my copy: it’s from 1988 and it has never given me a problem. The two old Adobe fonts that could give you problems were the early versions of Optima and ITC Eras, mainly because the files included both low-resolution (for LaserWriters) and high-resolution versions (for image setters).

Other than that you’re OK as long as you avoid the characters that were pulled from the Symbol font for substition (things like >, <, = , <sum>, ?, ?, ?, etc.) in the early days.
L
LRK
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks Ramon. That’s encouraging. I had removed almost all my fonts prior to 1998 or so.
R
Ram
Feb 18, 2004
I see the characters turned to question marks. Anyway, they were things like Sigma, Omega, Pi, Delta, etc..
L
LRK
Feb 18, 2004
Okay… probably not the fonts I would use anyway.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 18, 2004
That Symbol thing was an old feature/bug in PageWrecker. Don’t worry about it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections