LK
Posted By
Leen Koper
Jul 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After reading so many postings about Americans who lived in the same area some time, I have a request for people on the forum that live in the Netherlands. I know about Robbert Schraven and Chris Tuithof, but I suppose they are not the only ones.

It might be a good idea to meet each other to exchange information. Who else is out there? Either posting or just only lurking.

Leen

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Jul 16, 2003
Leen,

We could as well open a chat room and so all members here could join in!

Ray
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 16, 2003
Isn’t this forum sometimes just like a chatroom? ;-))
Plastic palm trees, plastic flamingos, discussions about the quality of the morning coffee….. I love it!

Meeting each other face to face however is something different and the Netherlands aren’t that large. When you ‘re in the centre it is usually within a 100 miles.
That ‘s less far than Jodi’s coffee.

Leen
PD
Pete D
Jul 16, 2003
Meeting each other face to face however is something different and the
Netherlands aren’t that large. When you ‘re in the centre it is usually within a 100 miles.

Leen,

Why not think big and get ‘everyone’ together. I was thinking Azores might be fairly central but that is still a long way for Susan 🙂

All this conversation brings out new ideas for photos and using elements I believe. I may go out and take some pictures of my new growth in the yard that surrounds my "Plastic Flamingos"; pineapple plants, Guacamole tree, Mango trees, Three new Papaya Trees last week, and an Elephant ear plant that is Huge after only 40 days and also has sprouted another one a foot way. And not to forget the seventy or eighty palm trees that make mowing the grass a "close course" event every week.

(Maybe those flamingos are the only color out there but everything is green 12 months a year:)!

Pete
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2003
Pete – I’m in Toronto 8-14 (or something like that) of September, followed by a couple of days somewhere near Albany, followed by a month in London/Oxford/Cambridge (mainly London). I would love to meet any forum regulars that live within reasonable distance during my travels. Probably a bit more convenient than the Azores!

My garden is a flamingo free zone. i do however have a small garden gnome with the obligatory fishing rod – he belongs to one of my daughters.

Susan S
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 16, 2003
Susan, probably I will be in Cambridge for a few days at the same time as you to attend a print competition.
(Next Saturday I ‘ll be in London to cover a wedding, but I will return with the first ferry on Sunday morning.)
I would love to meet you. Let’s keep in touch.

Leen
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2003
Leen – I’m not sure exactly when or how much time I’ll be in Cambridge yet – my husband is visiting the law school for a couple of weeks, but it’s yet to be decided whether me and the kids will stay there or whether I’ll just stay at home in London and and come up for a couple of day trips – depends on the accomodation costs. Let me know when you are going to be there and I’ll see what I can do.

Ray – London, England – my parents live there! I always forget that there’s one in Canada too!

susan S

Susan S.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 16, 2003
Ray, St. Petersburg isn’t far from where Pete lives!

Oh….do you mean St. Petersburg in Russia??

🙂

Chuck
R
Ray
Jul 16, 2003
Leen,

I’m usually very carefull about my gear, but I’ll be more carefull this time. I’m used to travelling with my Canon Elan 7e and several lenses, and carefully hiding it when people get too close to me. But since we’re two men travelling, that usually helps to lower temptation to steal our stuff 🙂

Thanks for the advice!

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2003
St Petersburg is a beautiful city – or it was when I was last there – I went there in 1974 when it was still Leningrad, as part of a school trip. Mind you after Moscow at that period, anything would seem like a blessed relief. It would be interesting to go back, but I don’t think it’s as safe for travellers as it was then.
Susan S
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 16, 2003
Ray, to add to the confusion, we have a Paris in Texas! Not much chance of confusing it with the French variety, though….

🙂

Chuck
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 16, 2003
All this travel sounds good. Where is the party ? I’ll bring the pink flamingos and the magic wand…..high tolerance 😉
R
Ray
Jul 16, 2003
Susan… it’s an incredible journey! Around the world, sort of! I envy you 🙂

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2003
I think we should all meet at Photoshop World <http://www.photoshopworld.com> in September. 😉
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 17, 2003
OK
R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
Huhhmmm… Let’s see… 499$, on top of the ticket to get there / the hotel room / the various expenses on a trip… I don’t think I can afford this 🙁

Perhaps only the party on the boat..

Ray
P
Phosphor
Jul 17, 2003
Perhaps only the party on the boat

Nah, Ray, I’ve been on that boat. We should have an Elements party instead.
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 17, 2003
Count me in!

Dick
R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
Barbara, for that, count me in !
I was never a boat person sort of myself 🙂

Ray
PD
Pete D
Jul 17, 2003
Ray,

Yeah that is too much and you might get seasick or fall in with the sharks. Just meet here. I will throw some stuff on the grille.

Pete
R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
LOL !! Never thought of that 🙂

However, and I’m honnest here, I did try, several times, to go into the water. I even have a picture of me in the sea, at Fort Lauderdale, two years ago. It took me 45 minutes to make 5 feet into the sea, but I did it!

….and 3 years of therapy to get it over it 🙂

Ray
PD
Pete D
Jul 17, 2003
….and 3 years of therapy to get it over it 🙂

Ray

You are a funnny guy! (And I mean your sense of humor)

If I were going in the water and did not like it I would not go in on the east coast. Rip tides, much bigger waves, more threatening aquatic life (sharks).

(sing this to the tune of "Green Acres")

West coast of Florida is the place to be
smooth waters and a gentle sea
water so clear you can see your feet
white sand beaches that just can’t be beat.

Pete

(tell me you won’t be humming that tune later:)
P
Phosphor
Jul 17, 2003
water so clear you can see your feet

And watch all the baby manta rays going flap, flap, flap out from under them, startling you half to death. <g>
PD
Pete D
Jul 17, 2003
Barbara,

Now don’t scare Ray.

Ray…Manta Ray…. (Is there something funny about that?)

Come on over Barbara and we will have a PSE beach party!

Pete
R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
When we were at SeaWorld (Orlando) we saw Rays (I do mean reflection of me in mirrors… lol!).

In general, I don’t like water and the creatures that live strictly in it. Dolphins are an exception. So do the fish that live in our Aquarium. But my friend is taking care of the fish bowl, not me 🙂

Ray
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 17, 2003
Ray,

Have you read or know of the story line in the currently popular book "Shutter Island". You sound like the lead character Teddy who had a similar relationship with water and the thinks in it. I thought it a great book.

Carl
R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
Hello Carl,

No, I did not. I don’t usually read novels in English because it takes too much time for me to translate. I’ve found that the level of language used in novels is usually way beyond my comprehension, so I have to look in my dictionnary too often. It spoils the fun 🙁

What does this character have against water ? 😉

Ray
PD
Pete D
Jul 17, 2003
Harold,

Just south of Venice in south Sarasota county. No Coyotes here thank goodness but there are some bobcats that walk through the yard just about every day. I have some pictures of a Panther taken at night by a photog that used a trip wire and flash system about 5 or 6 miles from here too. And of course like everywhere in Florida and up the east coast into parts of NC plenty of Alligators:)

Pete
PD
Pete D
Jul 17, 2003
Beth,

Venice has few sharks teeth since they "renourished" the beach there. But the Island south of Venice has a lot…. A whole lot. That is Manasota Key and on an hours walk on the beach there it is common for me to pick up anywhere from 50 – 200 fossilized sharks teeth of various sizes without trying too hard. I have literally thousands sitting in various containers around the house and have given away at least that many.

Dentist! Hmm, you remind me that I am over due for a visit there. (I assume you would recommend your nephew:)

Pete

(for the curious: Beach renourishment is done when there is erosion that threatens structures on barrier Islands. They can go offshore directly west of their Island and find a sand bar to use. Then special vessels are used to "draw sand" up from the sand bar and pump it to shore. Pipe about 30" in diameter is used to carry the sand to shore and pieces are welded together and run up and down the beach to the extremes of where they are renourishing. The sand is pumped for weeks (and more likely months) and periodically pieces of the beach pipe are cut off and removed working their way to the central starting point until enough "beach" is added to protect the structures on shore. It is common to add 200-300 feet of beach for several miles. As I recall Venice project was about 4 miles, maybe 5 and added 200-300 feet. Cost is roughly $1,000,000 for each mile + or -, … mostly +).
JA
JoAnn Amerson
Jul 17, 2003
Pete –

The last time I was at Ocean City, Maryland they were renourishing the beach there. That was some time ago – at least 11 years.

I’m just an inside type of person. Give me a computer, some needlework or some beading, or a book and I’m a happy camper.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 17, 2003
Well, Pete, trust the dentist you’ve been using; I ain’t gonna be responsible! I’ve never had him work on my teeth. His dad is driving down from Ohio this week so he can get some dental work done, but I don’t think Dad is capable of an unbiased opinion on the subject. 🙂

My mother in law had a wonderful pair of "seahorses" someone had created, using sharks’ teeth for the texture. They were the only thing she had that I’d asked for after she died. I didn’t get ’em. I think my sil gave them to the Goodwill. 🙁
CS
carl sutherland
Jul 18, 2003
Ray,

The less he has to do with water the better he likes it. He also is a very interesting character. I am not making any implications that you are like him in any other way than the similar feelings about water. The book is out in audio form for any who prefer listening to reading.

Carl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections