O
Posted By
OAmaro
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Despite having 1.25GB of RAM and allocating 80MB to IR, I keep getting error messages saying that I can’t save my document due to unavailable memory. And even though I lock the memory allocation in the Get Info box, I notice that when I get this error and go back to the Get Info, the memory allocation has reverted back to the (anemic) default settings–even though the lock icon is on.

I’m running OS 9.2; Photoshop/ImageReady 7 and have Virtual Memory off.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
Hope you have updated to 7.0.1.

Don’t lock the IR application, otherwise it will keep reverting back.

I’d suggest trashing the IR preferences file, and try again.
O
OAmaro
Feb 12, 2004
Is there a 7.0.1 for the OS 9x? I checked and everything is for OS X and up. But I’ll try the trashing preferences trick.

"Don’t lock the IR application, otherwise it will keep reverting back."

What do you mean?
R
Ram
Feb 12, 2004
Yes, the 7.0.1 update applies to OS 9 too.

When you see the Get Info dialog box, make sure you do not check the "Locked" box.
O
OAmaro
Feb 13, 2004
Turns out I DO have the latest version (7.0.1). I trashed the prefs, let’s see what happens…stay tuned.
O
OAmaro
Feb 13, 2004
Trashed the prefs and I STILL have the problem. $%#@!
R
Ram
Feb 13, 2004
When you see the Get Info dialog box, make sure you do not check the "Locked" box.

First, once you are sure the application is NOT locked, trash the preferences file (from the Preferences Folder inside your System Folder). Then restart the computer (just in case), and rebuild the Desktop, then set the Memory allocation in the Get Info dialog box. Finally, launch IR again.

You may want to do all this for both Photoshop and Image Ready.

If you still have the problem, trash the preferences all over again and reinstall the applications.
O
OAmaro
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks for taking the time Ramon. I did everything you said to do, but it’s still the same. The only thing I didn’t do in proper sequence was restart the computer and rebuild the desktop. I did it the other way around, I rebuilt then rebooted.

I also re-installed PS and IR last night.
O
OAmaro
Feb 13, 2004
This time I rebuilt correctly and after setting the memory allocation to 100MB, it’s still reverting to the default 35MB.

This is really starting to tick me off.
R
Ram
Feb 13, 2004
Bummer!

See the last paragraph in my previous post.
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2004
OAmaro,

I just read this in the Apple discussion boards in a response to someone with a problem like yours. The comments may or may not apply to your situation.

1) If you have a control panel named Reaper installed, try disabling it – it has the ability to (and will often) change memory presets in apps.

2) Your version of xxxxx may be an Application Program Package type of software – those usually (but not always) have the suffix .app in their name. To see if it is one, Control-click on it – if it is a .app type, one of the items in the contextual menu that opens will be "Show Package Contents" – select that if it appears. The .app should then open as a folder.

Inside such are usually more than one version of the program – such as one for OSX and one for Classic/OS 9; locate the folder for the OS 9/Classic version, and increase the memory allocation for the program in it. While there, if you use aliases, now would be a good time to make an alias to the OS 9 version, drag it out of the enclosing folders and onto the desktop or other convenient place.

Once you’re done, close everything up including the folder that opened when you did the contextual menu thing – it should have the glyph of a parcel on its folder icon. Control-click that folder, and select "Hide Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
O
OAmaro
Feb 14, 2004
I appreciate your efforts Ramon. I read the comments and I’m almost sure none apply (although the OS9/X one may be a possibility). I’ll have to check next time I’m in the office.

Thanks again.
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2004
Well, since both Photoshop and IR are indeed "packages", I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try that second tip.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections