H
Posted By
Ho
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This really doesn’t deserve its own thread, but it’s getting one anyway. CS has changed palette behavior, and for the worse (of course).

I leave the info palette open all the time. Sometimes it get buried behind other palettes and I usually don’t realize that I can’t see it until I’ve already begun a color adjustment (using Curves, for example). In previous versions of PS (6.01 to be exact) you could go to the Window drop down menu, click Hide Info, then click Show Info and the info palette would spring to the front, ready to use. I’ve always considered this a brilliant bit of user-friendly programming, the sort of thing that USED TO set Photoshop apart from other software. In CS, faced with the same circumstance, this accomplishes exactly nothing. If the info palette is behind something with you deselect it, it will remain behind that same thing when you reselect it which forces you to close the dialog box you’re working in, move the info palette (or whatever) to the front, and then resume.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Ho
Aug 26, 2004
This sort of devolution reminds me of a similar gaffe by Macromedia several years ago. In Extreme 3D2, selecting a "palettized" function from the drop down menu would cause that palette to come to the front of the stack if it was buried, a logical event. However in FreeHand7 (released about the same time), selecting a "palettized" function from the drop down menu would cause that palette to close if it was already open. Then you had to select it again from the drop down menu in order to reopen it and move it to the front. Guess which behavior was dropped and which one still persists in FH, at least through version 9.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections