RS
Posted By
rrose_selavy
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it normal behavior that if a layer element is set to below 50? auto select will select the layer (or background) "below" it?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
Aug 26, 2004
Not out of the question. If it doesn’t "see" any pixels it will select what it does "see."

Bob
RS
rrose_selavy
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 26, 2004
Bob,

The strange thing is that at first when I looked at it, since I don’t use auto select, I assumed that it was picking the layer with the most visible data at that location. Meaning the background would have 51% visibility if the current layer is set at 49% opacity. However even if the layer with data on it is the only layer visible auto select still won’t make it active.

As long as you can get by using the fill settings instead of opacity it will still work even set as low as 1% (going in top down stack order). Unfortunately it doesn’t work when the opacity is below 50%.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections