Posted By
Phoenix_Photo
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Photoshop CS – Windows XP Professional –>

I processed RAW image files in Camera Raw and saved them in the TIFF format.

Now I am trying to crop my images in various sizes and save them as JPEG’s for printing.

But when I click on "Save As" on the menu when a TIFF image is open, the format list in the "Save As" box does not contain JPEGs as an option. The only format choices showing are Photoshop, Cineon, Photoshop PDF, Photoshop RAW, PNG, and TIFF. It won’t let me save the cropped TIFF’s as JPEG’s.

This is the first time I’ve used CS and also the first time I’ve worked with TIFF files. I’ve searched everywhere, but can’t find any solution. I must be able to save these TIFF’s as JPEG’s for my lab to use.

Thanks in advance!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 26, 2004
You’ve got a 16 bit/channel image, and JPEG only supports 8 bits/channel.
PP
Phoenix_Photo
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks Chris for the quick answer!

What are my choices now? Do I have to start back over with the RAW files and process them this time as 8 bit TIFF files or is there some way to change the TIFF files from 16 bit to 8 bit? I’m trying to use a file format where I won’t lose quality from repeated savings – is there a better way to do this with CS than what I’m doing?
DN
DS_Nelson
Aug 26, 2004
You don’t need to re-do them in Camera RAW. In photoshop, with the tif file open, just go to Image ==> Mode, and check 8-bit.
PP
Phoenix_Photo
Aug 26, 2004
I found the answer! I can change it on the menu Image>Mode>8 bits/channel. Thanks!
BL
Bill_Lamp
Aug 27, 2004
If your Photoshop works like my 6, 7, & now CS there is a bit more to do.

After clicking SAVE AS, erase the TIF extension, type in JPG, then select JPG for the file type. Omitting that erase & type the extension with 6 & 7 would give filename.TIF.JPG. Sometimes I would have filename.TIF.STN.TIF.JPG.

CS gives me filename.TIF when the file is actually a JPG. Yep, it will over write the original TIF.

6 & 7 were safer to use. The LAST extention was correct.

Bill, who did bring that up on the forum a year or two ago.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 27, 2004
I remember that Bill. <smile>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections