MC
Posted By
marty cryer
Jul 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to make a cutout (take just the image of the person, no background) of a photo and use it in another program (Hallmark Scrapbook Studio). I make the cutout fine, but when I paste into scrapbook studio I have a white square around the cutout and it look silly. What can I do to get just the cutout?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PD
Pete D
Jul 15, 2003
marty

I suspect that Hallmark Studio does not recognize transparency. You might try making the background of the picture the same as the background of where you are pasting the image.
PD
Pete D
Jul 15, 2003
Hi NG how are you this fine morning!
NS
Nancy S
Jul 15, 2003
Been hot, hot, hot here….sweaty Betty am I…
NS
Nancy S
Jul 15, 2003
Pete, Chuck,

I think I scored rather well yesterday at _____ Electronics… (partly due to a little glitch in their system but I did get the staff to see eye to eye with me…) came home with an Epson 1650 scanner for $30! Whoo-hoo.

Gotta install it before I go to work! Later boys…

Nanny
DS
Dick Smith
Jul 15, 2003
I think I scored rather well yesterday at _____ Electronics… (

Hmmm, let’s see would the initials be DS in that blank space.

Cheers,

Dick Smith
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 15, 2003
Marty, i just bought that software for a friend as a gift. You like it ? Hope so. Listen, what format are you editing and saving in ?? Try saving your cutout in TIFF or PSD format and see if that works. Oh, when you are doing your cutout are you working on an ‘editable’ layer or ‘Background’ layer ?? You’ll get the white with a ‘background’ image but if you double click on the layer ( your image) in the layers palette and click ‘OK’ after renaming you’ll get an editable layer and after you cutout what you want then the outside will be transparent..and again save in formats i listed above.
MC
marty cryer
Jul 16, 2003
Jodi-
Thanks for your help. I really like the program for the most part. There are some backgrounds that do not work well with digital images-they are designed to be printed and cut. When I make the cutouots I use the magnetic lasso to select it then copy onto a transparent layer. At that point I save in a JPEG format. Then I open the scrapbook program, insert the image and I have my image with a rectangle of white around it. Would love to get rid of the white-it will be so cool! Will try your other ideas, but if you come up with anything else, please let me know!
Thanks again!
MC
marty cryer
Jul 16, 2003
Jodi-
I tried both of your ideaqs with no luck. Not sure if I follow you with the editable vs. background layer. Tried your ideas, but there is nothing that tells me which kind of layer I have, is there?
HELP!!!
RC
Ricky Cash
Jul 25, 2003
It’s probably not possible to do what you want with the program you are using. Unless the progam accepts files in photoshop native format, your stuck with the white background. All you can do is make sure the background in the hallmark program is white also.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 25, 2003
"All you can do is make sure the background in the hallmark program is white also."

Or an option is to change the background color of the image to match whatever the color is that you’re using in the Hallmark software.
MC
marty cryer
Aug 1, 2003
Jodi-
|Thanks for the step by step, but that still didn’t work. I still get the white around the outside of the cutout.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks for all your help!
Marty
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 1, 2003
Marty, what file format are you using? Not all of them will allow a transparent background. I don’t think JPEG does, but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it. If you used either PSE or TIFF, you could get the transparent background, but I don’t know if that would be compatible with the Hallmark software. Is it?
NS
Nancy S
Aug 1, 2003
jpg doesn’t support transparency
ML
Marty Landolt
Aug 1, 2003
MARTY CRYER,
Hi Marty from Marty. Guess we’ll have to start using our Last Name initial… MartyL and MartyC. I do hope you’ll join us regularly on this forum; as you can tell, it’s a hec of a nice bunch (and helpful)
MartyL

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections