R
Posted By
RASMUSS3
Aug 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use WinXP Office, Ph CS, 700 MHz, 512 Ram, epson 1670 and c82 printers. I have reloaded th CS several times. When I open a file it is long (vert.) and narrow by about 20 -30 %. Similarily scanning comes up the same (Epson 1640 SU Photo). The heading of the opened file is "untitled…RGB/8[scaled]". Even opening a archive disc come up the same! How do I correct this. I am befuddled!! I have been using the CS for some time and love it. Roy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PH
Photo_Help
Aug 26, 2004
Check the pixel aspect ratio settings.
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 26, 2004

3.05 pm. Aug. 26, 04. MST.
I have tried the pixel aspect ratio settings, etc. No joy. I am still at a loss. Roy
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 26, 2004
Roy,

Have you tried resetting the preferences? You said you reinstalled CS, I just wasn’t sure if you uninstalled it first or just installed again.

Unfortunately the pixel aspect ratio is the only thing I know of that will say "[scaled]" in the title bar.

You have looked at Image -> Pixel Aspect Ratio to make sure it is set to square?

So even if you open a JPG from a random web site it still says "[scaled]" in the title bar?

The strange part is that I don’t think the default aspect ratio can be changed for files you open. Only new files or files that have been saved with a different aspect ratio.

Resetting the preferences should fix your problem though.
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 27, 2004
I am halfway there. I really appreciate your effort on my behalf. I am rid of the "scaled" phrase. My monitor screen still shows the "narrow pictures", but my "printer" prints a normal picture. So now all I need is to get my monitor screen picture normal for the CS. I can’t seem to get it right. Looking at the Pixel aspect ratio screen, I see various settings. I am not able to figure out which one to use and the manual has really no info on this. The "square should be checked? Of the following "D1/DV….","Anamorphic 2.1" or "untitled" which setting should I use? Further, the top 3 items "Custom…", "Delete…", "Reset…", which do I use, etc.?? Thanks again. Roy.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 27, 2004
If it no longer says "[scaled]" the image should look normal. "Square" is normal and when selected everything should look fine. You can try "Reset…" but I am not sure it does anything outside the active document.

Did you try resetting the preferences?
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 27, 2004
I have reset the preferences several times. The monitor picture is still always "narrow" and yet if I print it, the print is okay. Even a scan into the CS using my epson 1640 SU Photo is narrow. I cannot think of any reason for this. It soes not occur in any other program. Each time I reinstalled the CS, I removed it 1st. I have tried various things with no results. The symptom is there even when I open a disc of photos. Roy.
PH
Photo_Help
Aug 27, 2004
Try logging onto XP as a different user.

Or maybe just play around with moving or deleting these files… C:\Documents and Settings\[Your User Name]\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\8.0\Adobe Photoshop CS Settings
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 28, 2004
what are your display settings set at for windows?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 28, 2004
what are your display settings set at for windows?

Many LCD’s can’t show correct proportions except at their recommended, (generally highest) resolutions; and of course CRTs can’t, if proportions aren’t 4:3.

M
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 29, 2004
Aug. 29, 2004. The monitor shows normal ratios for everything, the exception being when I open the CS Ph program! That is what is so frustrating. I am using a CRT screen, and as I mentioned all my other programs are okay, except with the CS Ph. The other thing to note is that the pictures print normally from CS Ph. even though the monitor screen is incorrect (Of course it is impossible to work with any picture on the monitor behaving this way). I do feel that the problem must lie in the CS Ph. but where. I have one suggestion that was made and I will try it – tongue in cheek but Computers are funny as you know and usually one turns up the problem in some unexpected place. The sugestion was to go into Doc. and Settings…… Adobe Phot. settings. I am waiting for my Family computer whiz to come over and give this a whirl. One other possible clue is that in the beginning even the printer also did the out of ratio printing, but after I reset the Pixel Aspect Ratio (it was already set at Square), the printer printed okay! So There is likely some connection with this PI..As.. Ratio???? I have reset the preferences several times; removed the CS and reinstalled it 3 times., The "scaled" that I had earlier is gone as well. Also, I had wondered if it was only recently saved files, but the ratio problem is also present when I open a cd disc of files! Roy.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 29, 2004
have you reset your prefrences per the faq? does this happen on all images or is it one specific image?
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 29, 2004
It really sounds to me like the monitor is set to a resolution that causes stretched images (i.e., non-square pixels on-screen). If using an LCD monitor, set it to either its native resolution or another resolution with exactly the same ratio. My monitor, for example, is native 1280×1024 (5:4); if i set it to 1024×1068 (4:3) or 800×600 (4:3), the image gets stretched to fill the screen (unless I pick an option in the printer driver that centers the image with black bars on the top and bottom).
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 29, 2004
Dave. this happens to all images in CS only. I have reset the preferences numerous times.

Michael. The ratio problem only happens in the CS program. All other programs are normal! I would expect that the ratio problem would show up in the other programs if it was the monitor. At least that is my impression. That is why I am so puzzled and frustrated. It could well be some simple problem – but what. Roy
R
RASMUSS3
Aug 30, 2004
Thanks very much to everyone for your help, including my "family computer whiz". The problem is solved! In clearing up my system of viruses,etc., I had reset the monitor resolution very high. We reset it lower and voila the problem disappeared. I had missed that my internet screen had some distortion as well. I did have the problem with the aspect ratio as well, and had corrected that earlier (tis had complicated things).
So, once again my very sincere thank you to everyone. This forum is really a wonderful learning and help device. Roy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections