Posted By
Conrad
Jun 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have CS3 setup so that jpegs open in Camera Raw (4.0) handling program (16-bit). When I open these jpegs in Photoshop, they are 16- bit files (at least under Mode examination). Is there any advantage to this for working on jpeg images? I realize that the jpeg files are very much smaller than RAW files and may not have the latitude for any advantage.

TIA,

Conrad

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
Joel
Jun 5, 2007
Conrad wrote:

Hi,

I have CS3 setup so that jpegs open in Camera Raw (4.0) handling program (16-bit). When I open these jpegs in Photoshop, they are 16- bit files (at least under Mode examination). Is there any advantage to this for working on jpeg images? I realize that the jpeg files are very much smaller than RAW files and may not have the latitude for any advantage.

TIA,

Conrad

There is no 16-bit JPG *except* 16-bit MODE, and 16-bit JPG can be handy when you have to repair some low-rez file, noise, some color channel can cause artifact issue etc. (especially if you need to retouch for large print). so, with good hi-rez image and small print then you may not need it.
B
babaloo
Jun 6, 2007
In the real world you are just creating a very large file with no tangible benefit as the in-camera jpeg processing has irreversibly truncated the image information. It is what it is and expanding your working space to 116 bits will not make any difference.
If you are going to use the Adobe Raw Converter anyway why not shoot in RAW?
J
Joel
Jun 6, 2007
"babaloo" wrote:

In the real world you are just creating a very large file with no tangible benefit as the in-camera jpeg processing has irreversibly truncated the image information. It is what it is and expanding your working space to 116 bits will not make any difference.

YES and NO

Yes, it does make a huge difference if you know and can benefit from it. And with hi-end camera, good lighting (explosure) we may not need it

No, there is 16-bit JPG to begin with to worry about larger file (unless you mean TEMP file)

If you are going to use the Adobe Raw Converter anyway why not shoot in RAW?

And RAW converter and Photo Retoucher (graphic editor like Photoshop) are 2 different beasts, so RAW or COOKed if you need to use 16-bit JPG then RAW converter ain’t the answer.

I know! I know! ARC v4 supports JPG too, but RAW converter is still not a photo retoucher.
C
Conrad
Jun 7, 2007
On Jun 5, 5:29 am, Conrad wrote:

Thank you all for answering my question. Really appreciated.

Conrad

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections