KL
Posted By
Kevin Logan
Jul 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Me again, with the new XP operating system that freezes when using Elements. Thanks to everyone for replying to my last post, and sorry for not answering, I’ve just spent all weekend tearing my computer apart, reformatting a brand new 20gb hard drive and reinstalling a brand new copy of WinXP, full, not upgrade, at the recommendation of an Adobe tech person, waste of time. Same problem, my computer freezes when opening PSD files with active layers or using memory intensive tools like Straighten and Crop. Or, it did freeze. In true computer-geek fashion, I thought of the simplest thing last, run custom install and add Elements components one at a time. Everything works fine until I install the "Elements Only Plug-ins", then my computer freezes like a milkshake in a Minnesota winter when trying to use Elements. Anybody know why? To summarize, to avoid the usual questions, no Norton products, did all of the installing in Safe Mode, defragmented harddrive, cleared all temp files, and when I discovered plug-ins was what was freezing my computer, I had almost everything pulled out of it, so basically it was freezing on a system consisting of nothing more than a motherboard and P3 550 processor, video card (using both windows supplied drivers and cards drivers), a CD-Rom, and 256megs of ram that I know is good. Everything still froze as long as I installed the plugings. Anybody else out there had this problem, I could sure use the help. Oh, and to avoid other questions, my computer has 768megs of installed ram, all good, and I have 10gbs of free harddisk space, and the biggest pic file I have is only 42megs, so I’m not running out of ram or room for a scratch disk. And for the record, JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 runs perfectly with my current configuation, but I prefer Elements, ain’t that always the way. Thanks again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard Coencas
Jul 14, 2003
Kevin,

Try disabling extensions. Just put a tilde in front of the plug-ins\extensions folder.

Rich
W
wizards4
Jul 22, 2003
In article
wrote:

Me again, with the new XP operating system that freezes when using
Elements. Thanks to everyone for replying to my last post, and sorry for not answering, I’ve just spent all weekend tearing my computer apart, reformatting a brand new 20gb hard drive and reinstalling a brand new copy of WinXP, full, not upgrade, at the recommendation of an Adobe tech person, waste of time. Same problem, my computer freezes when opening PSD files with active layers or using memory intensive tools like Straighten and Crop. Or, it did freeze. In true computer-geek fashion, I thought of the simplest thing last, run custom install and add Elements components one at a time. Everything works fine until I install the "Elements Only Plug-ins", then my computer freezes like a milkshake in a Minnesota winter when trying to use Elements. Anybody know why? To summarize, to avoid the usual questions, no Norton products, did all of the installing in Safe Mode, defragmented harddrive, cleared all temp files, and when I discovered plug-ins was what was freezing my computer, I had almost everything pulled out of it, so basically it was freezing on a system consisting of nothing more than a motherboard and P3 550 processor, video card (using both windows supplied drivers and cards drivers), a CD-Rom, and 256megs of ram that I know is good. Everything still froze as long as I installed the plugings. Anybody else out there had this problem, I could sure use the help. Oh, and to avoid other questions, my computer has 768megs of installed ram, all good, and I have 10gbs of free harddisk space, and the biggest pic file I have is only 42megs, so I’m not running out of ram or room for a scratch disk. And for the record, JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 runs perfectly with my current configuation, but I prefer Elements, ain’t that always the way. Thanks again.

Like I said in my post – PS good solid info – – MOST PS plugs DO NOT WORK WITH OSX !! XP (yet) Have also heard that elements is a serious internal ram hog? (invisible to system ram tally) PS app alone (no OSX)should handle new plugs in plug-ins folder OK – – soft freezes for only TWO reasons – – RAM – – compatibility – with other plugs or versions of plugs – – BEST HELP IS HOME PAGE of the subject U R doing – – B4 U post !!!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections