J
Posted By
JJ
May 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I thought I had cracked this some time ago but PS seems to have the same effect on my memory as illegal substances! I am trying to recreate a colouring effect found on many DVD covers. Namely, where a montage of characters and scenes are coloured in a common shade – normally shades of amber brown. The best example I can give is Lord of The Rings. Creating the montage is no problem but I can’t get the colouring. Tried everything that overlays, gradients and channels seems to offer without success. Maybe, it’s not that simple but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
JJ

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Tacit
May 31, 2007
In article <Dfn7i.14642$>,
"JJ" wrote:

I thought I had cracked this some time ago but PS seems to have the same effect on my memory as illegal substances! I am trying to recreate a colouring effect found on many DVD covers. Namely, where a montage of characters and scenes are coloured in a common shade – normally shades of amber brown.

This is a simple 3-step process.

Step 1: Create a new layer on top of all the other layers. Step 2: Fill it with your chosen color.
Step 3: Set the layer’s Mode to Color.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MS
Malcolm Smith
May 31, 2007
JJ
convert image to monochrome but keep in RGB mode. Add an adjustment layer with curves. On the Blue curves channel pull the middle of the curve down a dit. On the green curves channel pull the curve down a bit to kil the green tint – image should now be brown/yellow. you can pull the red channel curve up a bit to add red. Moving the curve up on the RGorB channel increases RGB respectively. Moving the RGor B curve down increases CMY. The RGB channel can have an S curve added to adjust the final contrast.

Hope this helps
regards
Malcolm
"JJ" wrote in message
I thought I had cracked this some time ago but PS seems to have the same effect on my memory as illegal substances! I am trying to recreate a colouring effect found on many DVD covers. Namely, where a montage of characters and scenes are coloured in a common shade – normally shades of amber brown. The best example I can give is Lord of The Rings. Creating the
montage is no problem but I can’t get the colouring. Tried everything that overlays, gradients and channels seems to offer without success. Maybe, it’s
not that simple but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
JJ

T
Tacit
May 31, 2007
In article <465e2350$>,
"Malcolm Smith" wrote:

convert image to monochrome but keep in RGB mode. Add an adjustment layer with curves.

If you wish to use adjustment layers, you are better off not converting the image to monochrome. Instead, use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and tick the "Colorize" checkbox. That way, if you like, you can change your mind later and restore the image’s original color simply by turning off the adjustment layer.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MS
Malcolm Smith
May 31, 2007
Wheather you use colorise in Hue Sat, or colour balance or the curves technique i suggested you must convert the image to monochrome – the worst ways of doing this are desaturate (available in several places in photoshop) or Mode>Grayscale you get poor, often flat monochrome images. My preferred method is to use the Channel Mixer to get an optimum monochrome image that is still actually in RGB mode. i then find the curves method of toning the easiest to control but i still use "colorise’ and Colour Balance from time to time. I would never suggest turning the image into grayscale unless the toning was to be done in duotone (which I don’t use)

malcolm

Malcolm
"tacit" wrote in message
In article <465e2350$>,
"Malcolm Smith" wrote:

convert image to monochrome but keep in RGB mode. Add an adjustment layer
with curves.

If you wish to use adjustment layers, you are better off not converting the image to monochrome. Instead, use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and tick the "Colorize" checkbox. That way, if you like, you can change your mind later and restore the image’s original color simply by turning off the adjustment layer.

J
JJ
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks Malcolm & tacit – much appreciated.
JJ

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections