Adobe Photoshop cs3 version 10 – why no back or forward button in case of mistakes ?

H
Posted By
henry
May 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe Photoshop cs3 version 10 – why no back or forward button in case of mistakes ?

For a program that costs so much I would like to know why there is no back or forward buttons like most other programs in case of a mistake.

Thank goodness for trial versions.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

N
nomail
May 30, 2007
henry wrote:

For a program that costs so much I would like to know why there is no back or forward buttons like most other programs in case of a mistake.

There is such a button, but in another shape. It’s called ‘History’. Even for trial software it’s useful to read the help file.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
J
Joel
May 30, 2007
henry wrote:

Man it has more than Back<->Forward

Hmmmm are asking for info or just complaining thing you don’t know?

That’s what the trail is for, isn’t it. But KNOWLEDGE is what you really need.

Well, someone may not like the way I response, but I can’t answer thing someone doesn’t ask <bg>
MR
Mike Russell
May 30, 2007
"henry" wrote in message

There is – press F1 and type in History. You can also use ctrl-Z to undo the last step. There’s also a snapshot feature that saves the complete state of an image at any time, and adjustment layers, which provide non-destructive capability. Most recently, Smart Filters provide the equivalent of adjustment layers for filters – IOW a way to retroactively change, or back out the changes from general purpose third part filters.

Photoshop is a bit quirky, and the interface is a bit specialized, and does take some getting used to. In general if you can’t find the feature, keep looking, rely on the help file, and the online tutorials.

30 days is barely enough time to even go through each feature one at a time. BTW – this group can be a good resource, but the people here are a clannish and often hard on new folks. Don’t be surprised if people take you to task for your questions. You may want to try the Photoshop group on groups.yahoo.com, which is moderated and has a more helpful tone. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
G
gw
May 31, 2007
henry wrote in news:5blr53trmfe8hn9aq347jcc5ico0gvgs2b@ 4ax.com:

Wait – There is still more to the previously-mentioned Control-Z key…

If you press Control-Alt-Z repeatedly, you can step backwards through your previous image states.

If you press Control-Shift-Z repeatedly, you can step forwards through your changes.

If you don’t happen to like those particular keystroke combinations, you can go into Edit-Keyboard Shortcuts and change them.

Trial versions are Adobe’s way of weeding out those who would pester their Help Desk rather than look in the Help files.

May I suggest the Dummies book for a starter.
M
May9a55
May 31, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 23:14:29 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

"henry" wrote in message

Snip

BTW – this group can be a good resource, but the people here are a clannish and often hard on new folks. Don’t be surprised if people take you to task for your questions. You may want to try the Photoshop group on groups.yahoo.com, which is moderated and has a more helpful tone.

Mike – you are so correct in that observation. Why do you think that is? Virtually NONE of the ‘clan’ have demonstrated any skills other than at being mean spirited or worse.. Apparently they have nothing to learn about anything.

As for the yahoo groups – they are really a pain to use – I’m getting emails from several and unless you pay a monthly fee your real email address is published to the world of spam.

May
MR
Mike Russell
May 31, 2007
wrote in message

[re flaming]
Mike – you are so correct in that observation. Why do you think that is? Virtually NONE of the ‘clan’ have demonstrated any skills other than at being mean spirited or worse.. Apparently they have nothing to learn about anything.

There are a dozen or more people here who regularly contribute helpful answers – tacit, katwoman, wayne crosshall, wayne fulton, spacegirl, timo, roger clark, bill hilton, ronviers, and many others. Look for helpful people like these and configure your news reader to highlight their articles. There are a small few who deliberately torment the people who come here for help. Block them.

Unfortunately certain individuals must respond in kind to a personal insult. They are gold for the predators, and the resulting threads can dominate group discussion. It can be minimized by trying to ignore predatory individuals and the fights they produce.

As for the yahoo groups – they are really a pain to use – I’m getting emails from several and unless you pay a monthly fee your real email address is published to the world of spam.

I have not noticed this – but of I receive several hundred spams a day so how would I know? 🙂 Photoshop questions are also accepted at the Curvemeister forum, www.curvemeister.com/forum which is protected from spam, and flaming, to the best of my ability.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
H
henry
May 31, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:05:13 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

henry wrote:

There is such a button, but in another shape. It’s called ‘History’. Even for trial software it’s useful to read the help file.

I tried that but it sometimes does not work.
Most software paint programs have a back and forward button so I can’t see why Adobe don’t.
H
henry
May 31, 2007
On Thu, 31 May 2007 00:02:33 GMT, gw wrote:

If you press Control-Alt-Z repeatedly, you can step backwards through your previous image states.

If you press Control-Shift-Z repeatedly, you can step forwards through your changes.

Thanks but wouldn’t it be nice if there was a button for that like most paint programs. Seems a bit lazy that they didn’t include a button for it to begin with after all its one of the most expensive programs out there.

If you don’t happen to like those particular keystroke combinations, you can go into Edit-Keyboard Shortcuts and change them.

Its going through endless menus which is annoying to say the least. Buttons for back and forward is all that the program requires on the menu line. Pity it has no customized icons for adding stuff.

Will wait until they add such buttons before I pay $1500 for such a program. Adobe CS3 in oz is $1500, US I believe its $999 for the extended version.

Trial versions are Adobe’s way of weeding out those who would pester their Help Desk rather than look in the Help files.

Looked at many forums on Adobe CS3 and many are saying the same that they find no button for going back and forward to be quite annoying.
T
Tacit
May 31, 2007
In article ,
henry wrote:

Thanks but wouldn’t it be nice if there was a button for that like most paint programs. Seems a bit lazy that they didn’t include a button for it to begin with after all its one of the most expensive programs out there.

Open the History palette. It is better than a button. With a button, you must click your mouse many times in order to go backward many steps. With the History palette, you can click your mouse just once to go back as many steps as you want.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
T
Tacit
May 31, 2007
In article ,
henry wrote:

Why does it not work? What are you doing, and what happens?

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
SpaceGirl
May 31, 2007
On May 31, 5:14 am, henry wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:05:13 +0200, (Johan W.

Elzenga) wrote:
henry wrote:

Most software paint programs have a back and forward button so I can’t see why Adobe don’t.

History is FAR more powerful than a simple back/forward. For example, I could under ONE thing I did 10 minutes ago, without having to undo everything I did after that. In other words, you can edit the history of your image and PhotoShop works out all the other changes for you. Non-linear undos.

Anyway Apple+Z to undo once.
Apple+ALT+Z to step back through history (undo, undo, undo… forever)

Replace Apple with CTRL if you are on a PC.
RG
Roy G
May 31, 2007
"henry" wrote in message

If you press Control-Shift-Z repeatedly, you can step forwards through your
changes.

Its going through endless menus which is annoying to say the least. Buttons for back and forward is all that the program requires on the menu line. Pity it has no customized icons for adding stuff.
Will wait until they add such buttons before I pay $1500 for such a program. Adobe CS3 in oz is $1500, US I believe its $999 for the extended version.

Looked at many forums on Adobe CS3 and many are saying the same that they find no button for going back and forward to be quite annoying.

Hi.

I suspect that the perceived need for that button has more to do with the lack of experience using PS, than a real lack on the part of PS.

All you do is leave the history palette open,whenever you are editing. The benefit is that you can skim up and down the history states and see exactly what differences you have made, and go back to any one of them with just one click.

Failing that you just use "Undo" to go back one step.

If the palettes obscure your image, then just use the "Tab" key to bring the image on top or vice versa. A lot of serious users have 2 monitors, a good big one for the image and a small cheapie for the Tools and Palettes.

Roy G
TB
The Bobert
May 31, 2007
In article ,
SpaceGirl wrote:

There is no ALT on the apple keyboard. Use the CMD+option+Z for multiple undo’s.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! (it comes bundled with the software)

Bob in Central CA
T
Tacit
Jun 1, 2007
In article ,
The Bobert wrote:

There is no ALT on the apple keyboard. Use the CMD+option+Z for multiple undo’s.

Modern Apple keyboards (including the one I’m using to type this right now) label the Option button with "Alt" as well as "Option." 🙂

K
KatWoman
Jun 1, 2007
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
"henry" wrote in message

There is – press F1 and type in History. You can also use ctrl-Z to undo the last step. There’s also a snapshot feature that saves the complete state of an image at any time, and adjustment layers, which provide non-destructive capability. Most recently, Smart Filters provide the equivalent of adjustment layers for filters – IOW a way to retroactively change, or back out the changes from general purpose third part filters.

Photoshop is a bit quirky, and the interface is a bit specialized, and does take some getting used to. In general if you can’t find the feature, keep looking, rely on the help file, and the online tutorials.

30 days is barely enough time to even go through each feature one at a time. BTW – this group can be a good resource, but the people here are a clannish and often hard on new folks. Don’t be surprised if people take you to task for your questions. You may want to try the Photoshop group on groups.yahoo.com, which is moderated and has a more helpful tone. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

Excuse me but I think I am pretty patient with questions even beginner ones, as are many posters here
but this OP is blaming the program for being inferior b/c he cannot bother to even look at the top

EDIT>UNDO
anyone who ever used PS would figure that out in the first 5 minutes he deserves the bash he got

and this NG does have some grouchy, arrogant, people, a few trolls, some generous UNPAID informed users, some amateurs and some pros, the normal mix you find in any NG

perhaps if the question is asked POLITELY
after first looking in HELP
we would’ve been more conducive to answering it
Miss manners
K
KatWoman
Jun 1, 2007
"henry" wrote in message

If you press Control-Shift-Z repeatedly, you can step forwards through your
changes.

yes do us all a favor delete it from your comp, you do not deserve to own such a great program
and don’t come back here
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 1, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote in message

[re newbie question]

Excuse me but I think I am pretty patient with questions even beginner ones, as are many posters here
but this OP is blaming the program for being inferior b/c he cannot bother to even look at the top

EDIT>UNDO
anyone who ever used PS would figure that out in the first 5 minutes he deserves the bash he got

and this NG does have some grouchy, arrogant, people, a few trolls, some generous UNPAID informed users, some amateurs and some pros, the normal mix you find in any NG

perhaps if the question is asked POLITELY
after first looking in HELP
we would’ve been more conducive to answering it
Miss manners

You do have a point, as usual KW.

Perhaps he has been sent here to test us, LOL.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
A
Annika1980
Jun 2, 2007
On May 31, 7:07 am, "Roy G" wrote:
I suspect that the perceived need for that button has more to do with the lack of experience using PS, than a real lack on the part of PS.
All you do is leave the history palette open,whenever you are editing. The benefit is that you can skim up and down the history states and see exactly what differences you have made, and go back to any one of them with just one click.

But the guy wants a button! Can’t Adobe give this guy a damn button?
R
Roberto
Jun 2, 2007
"Annika1980" wrote in message
All you do is leave the history palette open,whenever you are editing. The
benefit is that you can skim up and down the history states and see exactly
what differences you have made, and go back to any one of them with just one
click.

Apparently button bars just aren’t Adobe’s thing. People have been asking for customizable button bars for almost a decade now. So far no joy.

=(8)
I
Infinitech
Jun 2, 2007
Annika1980 wrote:

Adobe codes programs for professionnal not button pushers!

The software price doesn’t prevent you from being intellectually impaired. maybe science could…

(I did not want to buy that expensive nuclear plant program because there was no cool animated flash button with some tiny funny noises when I click on it:
Bad program!)

Infinitech
TA
Timo Autiokari
Jun 2, 2007
Annika1980 wrote:

And some guys even want to have customizable menus. It is absolutely irritating that I need to "fish" many of the commands from behind three mouse clicks. Especially the very frequently needed commands behind the Image <click> + Adjustments <click>. While there is a huge amount of real estate on the Menubar totally unused, wasted.

Also it is not a question of ‘rare cases of mistakes’ like the subject says, I apply some operations/Actions/Scripts just for what/if purposes. And then I use the HistoryPalette to step back. But equally irritatingly the HistoryPalette does not indicate in any way the starting point of an Action nor Script that was just ran.

Timo Autiokari
D
Dave
Jun 2, 2007
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:47:50 +0300, Timo Autiokari
wrote:

Annika1980 wrote:

but they gave him a button – ‘back’ is spelled wrong on it. Look for ‘U N D O’.

Dave
J
Joel
Jun 2, 2007
Annika1980 wrote:

Either imaging each history is a button, or he can just one hand reach down to push his own button while other hand pushing the history would do <bg>
R
Roberto
Jun 2, 2007
"Infinitech" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

Adobe codes programs for professionnal not button pushers!
The software price doesn’t prevent you from being intellectually impaired. maybe science could…

(I did not want to buy that expensive nuclear plant program because there was no cool animated flash button with some tiny funny noises when I click on it:
Bad program!)

Infinitech

That is so much bull shit. Being able to assign features and functions that one uses often too a button bar doesn’t do anything to the "professional" nature of the program. What makes a product professional is how it is used. Not that you pressed a button instead of going through 10 menus.

Dumbass!

=(8)
R
Roberto
Jun 2, 2007
"Timo Autiokari" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

And some guys even want to have customizable menus. It is absolutely irritating that I need to "fish" many of the commands from behind three mouse clicks. Especially the very frequently needed commands behind the Image <click> + Adjustments <click>. While there is a huge amount of real estate on the Menubar totally unused, wasted.

Also it is not a question of ‘rare cases of mistakes’ like the subject says, I apply some operations/Actions/Scripts just for what/if purposes. And then I use the HistoryPalette to step back. But equally irritatingly the HistoryPalette does not indicate in any way the starting point of an Action nor Script that was just ran.

Timo Autiokari

I don’t know what Photoshop you are using but I can change the menus. I can remove from all of the drop down menus including the filters menu any items that I don’t want or use. Now if your talking about moving items from one menu to another then you are correct at least from what I can see.

=(8)
TA
Timo Autiokari
Jun 3, 2007
=(8) wrote:

I can change the menus.

We all know the little what can be done with the menu system in Photoshop.

Now if your talking about moving items from one menu to another then you are correct at least from what I can see.

Indeed I’m talking about the possibility to freely arrange the menu system. Like it has been possible in many Microsoft products such as Excel and Word for over a decade.

I would e.g. like to be able to:

-rise the Image/Adjustments submenu up, so that it would be a main menulist on the menubar. I’d do the same for the Image/Mode submenu.

-add some new main menulists such as "Enhance", and "Tools" that I would then populate with commands that I mostly need.

What comes to buttons, I would like to have the ability to:

-adjust the size of ActionButtons.

-freely adjust the color of the ActionButton face. Now there are only a few horribly bright and horribly saturated options. I’d like to use different shades of grays, or maybe with just a hint of tint.

-have either an Icon, or Icon+text, or 1 row of text, or 2 rows of text, as the Action button face.

-drag any Menu command over the ActionPalette and drop it there, then witness that an Action Button is automatically created for that Menu command. Those buttons would be grayed out when the active document is not in a compatible mode (just like the Menu commands are grayed out).

Timo Autiokari
K
KatWoman
Jun 3, 2007
"Timo Autiokari" wrote in message
=(8) wrote:

I can change the menus.

We all know the little what can be done with the menu system in Photoshop.
Now if your talking about moving items from one menu to another then you are correct at least from what I can see.

Indeed I’m talking about the possibility to freely arrange the menu system. Like it has been possible in many Microsoft products such as Excel and Word for over a decade.

I would e.g. like to be able to:

-rise the Image/Adjustments submenu up, so that it would be a main menulist on the menubar. I’d do the same for the Image/Mode submenu.
-add some new main menulists such as "Enhance", and "Tools" that I would then populate with commands that I mostly need.

What comes to buttons, I would like to have the ability to:
-adjust the size of ActionButtons.

-freely adjust the color of the ActionButton face. Now there are only a few horribly bright and horribly saturated options. I’d like to use different shades of grays, or maybe with just a hint of tint.
-have either an Icon, or Icon+text, or 1 row of text, or 2 rows of text, as the Action button face.

-drag any Menu command over the ActionPalette and drop it there, then witness that an Action Button is automatically created for that Menu command. Those buttons would be grayed out when the active document is not in a compatible mode (just like the Menu commands are grayed out).
Timo Autiokari

for the OP
there are hardware solutions
programmable keyboards and other devices
you can make macros on them to bring your favorite shortcuts by one key

You are asking more customizable skins for the GUI

my only issue is the fricking grey cursor blends into the color of seamless paper so badly on almost every image I correct, and it is not changeable from within PS.
(only on win systems)
MR
Mike Russell
Jun 3, 2007
"KatWoman" wrote in message
….
my only issue is the fricking grey cursor blends into the color of seamless paper so badly on almost every image I correct, and it is not changeable from within PS.
(only on win systems)

My pet peeve too. It also burns up cpu like crazy, and gets in the way of my hue clock, which gives a dial readout of color on the screen, except when that darn cursor is active.

For all the effort they put into that thing, the result is inferior, in many cases, to a standard cursor with a while outline.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
F
friesian
Jun 12, 2007

Go to window and pick "history". You will get a small window on screen that you can size however you like. And it will show your last 20 steps. You can then click on any step to go back to that point and until you make changes, you can click forward to something as well. It’s just like a back and forard buton, only you can pick to go one step or more, with one click.
S
SpaceGirl
Jun 18, 2007
The Bobert wrote:
In article ,
SpaceGirl wrote:

Yep there is. Need a photo of my Mac Pro’s keyboard?

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections