Posted By
kris.vandevijver
May 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m using Lightroom and i’m very enthousiastic about the features and possibilities. However, the performance is terrible on my system. I’ve got a Core Duo laptop with 2GB of Ram running Vista). I open Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 together (in the background, Outlook and IE are running). It seems as if 2GB is not enough in this situation? Is that possible? My laptop is limited to 2GB, so if i can’t get Lightroom to run faster with some tweaking, i’ve got a problem! What’s slow? When i click on a photo, the "Loading" part takes a long time. When i right-click an image and choose "Edit in Photoshop" i have to be very patient, switching between modules, etc, etc…

What can i do?

thanks!
Kris

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TB
Tony Blair
May 29, 2007
wrote in message
Hi,

I’m using Lightroom and i’m very enthousiastic about the features and possibilities. However, the performance is terrible on my system. I’ve got a Core Duo laptop with 2GB of Ram running Vista). I open Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 together (in the background, Outlook and IE are running). It seems as if 2GB is not enough in this situation? Is that possible? My laptop is limited to 2GB, so if i can’t get Lightroom to run faster with some tweaking, i’ve got a problem! What’s slow? When i click on a photo, the "Loading" part takes a long time. When i right-click an image and choose "Edit in Photoshop" i have to be very patient, switching between modules, etc, etc…
What can i do?

thanks!
Kris

Hi Kris, whilst I don’t have an answer to your question, you may be interested in these two Flickr groups on Lightroom! they seem to have a few experts amongst their members!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_lightroom/discuss/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/photoshop_lightroom/discuss/ I remember a discussion on this subject quite recently! but cannot easily find it, so maybe you search the discussions on Flickr

Harry
KV
kris.vandevijver
May 29, 2007
On 29 mei, 15:52, "Harry Limey" wrote:
Hi Kris, whilst I don’t have an answer to your question, you may be interested in these two Flickr groups on Lightroom! they seem to have a few experts amongst their members!http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_lightroom/discuss /http://www.flickr.com/groups/photoshop_lightroom/discuss/
I remember a discussion on this subject quite recently! but cannot easily find it, so maybe you search the discussions on Flickr

Harry

Thanks Harry!!
B
babaloo
May 29, 2007
You are asking too much of your poor little laptop.
What you are trying to do would slow down a desktop with multiple swap/scratch drives. You don’t even have a single one of those in your poor little laptop.
You may even fry your hard drive because it has to do too much swapping in and out of RAM.
You are also using Vista, which is time by your wristwatch slower than XP for just about everything.
Turn off Outlook and IE.
If you are using lightroom then turn off Bridge.
If you are serious about performance ditch Vista and get XP. If and when Microsoft rewrites Vista as SP1 you can retry it.
RG
Roy G
May 29, 2007
"babaloo" wrote in message
You are asking too much of your poor little laptop.
What you are trying to do would slow down a desktop with multiple swap/scratch drives. You don’t even have a single one of those in your poor little laptop.
You may even fry your hard drive because it has to do too much swapping in and out of RAM.
You are also using Vista, which is time by your wristwatch slower than XP for just about everything.
Turn off Outlook and IE.
If you are using lightroom then turn off Bridge.
If you are serious about performance ditch Vista and get XP. If and when Microsoft rewrites Vista as SP1 you can retry it.

Hi.

I would tend to agree with that, my wife’s laptop has Vista, and it seems to be a resource hog, and she does not even have those stupid "Aero" or whatever, Windows operating.

We all know that photoshop is RAM intensive, and even with 3 Gigs on my XP machine, I can still end up using the Scratch drive with big file size images. I make a point of not having any other programs running while P S is in use.

Roy G
D
Dave
May 29, 2007
On Tue, 29 May 2007 15:21:29 GMT, "babaloo"
wrote:

I am using programs which is heavy on RAM.
Therefore, I keep on releasing RAM. (1 gig)
Can this have a negative effect on the harddrive as well?

Dave
J
Joel
May 30, 2007
"" wrote:

Hi,

What can i do?

It may be too late for you now, or since you already have CS2 I think it’s wiser to spend the money to upgrade CS2->CS3 instead of Lightroom. I have both Lightroom and CS3, but I have been pretty sick for the past few months to have much time to learn more about these new programs.

But I have spend few weeks on Lightroom (before CS3 was released) and the displaying is too slow for my taste, so I can get much more done with ARC than Lightroom. I have played (little since I am pretty sick) with the newer ARC v4 came with CS3 and it’s pretty similar to Lightroom (fewer options but plenty for my need), and I kinda like ARC more than Lightroom (probably because I have been using ARC for over a year)

thanks!
Kris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections