GD
Posted By
Grant Dixon
Jul 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Once again I have posted some new images of my garden. While there is still lots to learn and ways to improve I am now getting images that I am becoming pleased with. Please come on over to my garden and sit a spell.

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~gardens/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 13, 2003
Those are beautiful ! Your eye is perfect !
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 13, 2003
Very nice, Grant. Those are my kind of images! Can I borrow a couple? 🙂
JA
JoAnn Amerson
Jul 13, 2003
I’d rather borrow the garden. I adore day lilies. I have a few pink ones out back. They have somehow managed to survive the wet spring we’ve had and the terrible soil they are growing in.
NS
Nancy S
Jul 13, 2003
JoAnn,

Where are you located geographically?

Nancy
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 13, 2003
Also the heart of the "Pennsylvania Dutch/Deutsch" area, too, is it not? I have some research to do there; wanna help me out?! 🙂
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 13, 2003
Beth, please don’t mix up "deutsch" and "dutch". To some people this might be rather sensitive. ;-))

Dutch is the official language of the Netherlands and a part of Belgium. "Deutsch" is the german word for "german" in their own language.

It is very well explained here, IMHO rather a interesting article: <http://www.kerchner.com/padutch.htm>

BTW: "Dutch" and "Deutsch" originate from the same word "Dietsch" which means "common people".

Leen
GD
Grant Dixon
Jul 13, 2003
My wife’s family was/is Pennsylvania Deutsch and while they have been in North America since 1738 she still claims to have some German blood in her veins. For those with a historical active mind her family were United Empire Loyalists.

Grant
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 13, 2003
Leen, the mix-up occurred here in the US many generations ago, where the German (Deutsch) immigrant settlers of Pennsylvania became known as….the Pennsylvania Dutch (some hearing problems among their neighbors, apparently). So I humbly suggest that Beth is quite correct in her use of Deutsch to describe the forbears of the residents of the region in which JoAnn resides!

🙂

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 13, 2003
Grant, my first direct ancestor to come to the US was Andreas von Schneider, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1759 at the age of 20; he apparently fought in the American Revolution for the colonists.

Chuck
JA
JoAnn Amerson
Jul 14, 2003
York isn’t in the "heart" of Pennsylvania Dutch country. We’re on the other side of the river but it’s close enough. There are some Amish farms in southern York County. Land is a bit scarce in Lancaster County. It’s beautiful here though – rolling hills, all four seasons, and we have the best tomatoes in this area.

Beth – if there’s anything I can do to help you, please let me know. I’ll do the best I can. 🙂
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 14, 2003
Chuck, tell me, how did you end up in Texas ?
I
imacgirl
Jul 14, 2003
My brain is so fried from the heat already, I forgot why I was even at this topic to begin with. Unfortunately, the flowers here are starting to dwindle.

Grant, it’s always a pleasure to visit your beautiful gardens…thanks for sharing your perspective. Lovely photos!

🙂

Barb
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 14, 2003
Barb and Jodi: I was transferred here on a ‘temporary rotational assignment’ in 1986…..still waiting to rotate…..

🙂

Chuck
I
imacgirl
Jul 14, 2003
Chuck, I’ve been meaning to rotate out of here too. Presently, for me, the only rotating is in Elements.

🙂

Barb
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 14, 2003
Hi Grant, Love your garden pictures!
Our daylillies are really nice this year due to the rain and cool in the NE USA. I have a few pictures, learning how to do the PSE web galleries, so nice and so easy. All I need now is to get them onto the web, or at least pbase. Flowers are so much fun! Our dogs and grandkids are getting old enough that they don’t thrash the gardens so much any more.
Jane
AM
Al Millstein
Jul 14, 2003
Grant-

Thanks for the beautiful flower images.

A curiousity question, since I’m too lazy to figure it out.

How do you get the gradual fade-in from one image to the next? I have access to PageMill for Web page creation. Do you know if I can do it in that web editor?

The soft transtion from image to image enhances the lovely soft effect of the flowers.

Al
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 14, 2003
GRANT,
My ‘sitting a spell’ is always so relaxing in your gardens. Thanks for the invite. My favorite was ….. oh hec, can’t decide.
J0 ANN,
Thanks for the memory lane from my Cartography class. I lived in Trenton about 10 years so was in Lancaster a couple times…beautiful area.
Marty
JA
JoAnn Amerson
Jul 14, 2003
If anyone is ever in the Lancaster area, drop me a line, we can meet for coffee or tea.

I’m playing tour guide with friends from Northern Jersey on Friday. We’re going to do the "Amish thing". My 1.3MP camera may not be the greatest but it’ll do. Too bad there will be a new challenge by then. I can see the little bikers head with a black brimmed hat and beard leading a horse-drawn plough. Too back it’s not tobacco harvesting time – lots of wagons around.
GD
Grant Dixon
Jul 14, 2003
Al

It is an effect that take advantage of a little bit of gee-wow that Microsoft built into Internet Explorer. Add this code in the header and the first line fades-in the second line fades-out, the duration is in seconds.

<meta http-equiv="page-enter" content="blendtrans(duration =1.0)"> <meta http-equiv="page-exit" content="blendtrans(duration =1.0)">

Grant
AM
Al Millstein
Jul 15, 2003
Grant!

!I got it! !I got it! !It works!

You are supreme!

Al
C
cookgreg
Jul 15, 2003
Hi All from Olympia, WA. Yes indeed a might of a skip from all of you, but was back in Albany, NY area last summer.
Grant- the bench image on the front of your garden page is the coolest. Was it created in Photoshop? If so, how can I recreate the effect. I MUST HAVE IT!:)

Greg
GD
Grant Dixon
Jul 15, 2003
Greg

I am almost ashamed to tell you how it was done. I took a well exposed and framed image, I then resized it and just ran it through a plug in called Virtual Painter all in a couple of seconds flat.

Grant
C
cookgreg
Jul 15, 2003
Grant-

Nothing to be ashamed of. One thing that I HAVE learned with PS is that you can do some cool things with very little effort. Do you have a link for that. I have a new nephew that I would love to put in some "wonderland" type settings. The vivid colors are fun. I have been taking photos in my garden too. I have a Sony Mavica CD300.

Greg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections