S
Posted By
spamcatcher
May 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS2, I can’t seem to get the Type Tool to do anything!

Change the font, change the type pixel size, change the color… nothing.

All I get when I click on the image where text should be inserted is a tiny box. Type in the text and it shows up as the name of the layer, but nothing shows on the image itself. Gone from 1 pixel to 1200 pixels for font size and no joy.

Everything works just as expected in Elements.

Any suggestions?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TB
Tony Blair
May 26, 2007
"Eric" wrote in message

All I get when I click on the image where text should be inserted is a tiny box. Type in the text and it shows up as the name of the layer, but nothing shows on the image itself. Gone from 1 pixel to 1200 pixels for font size and no joy.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to select the tiny box and drag it until it is a larger box!!
Zoom in close so you can see the handles??
MR
Mike Russell
May 27, 2007
"Eric" wrote in message

Any suggestions?

Hold down ctrl-alt-shift during startup, and say yes when it asks if you want your prefs deleted.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
E
edjh
May 27, 2007
Mike Russell wrote:
"Eric" wrote in message

Any suggestions?

Hold down ctrl-alt-shift during startup, and say yes when it asks if you want your prefs deleted.

I think that’s too drastic.

Check the file’s resolution. It may be very tiny, like 1 ppi. That is often the cause of this problem.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
S
spamcatcher
May 28, 2007
On Sun, 27 May 2007 09:08:18 -0400, edjh wrote:

Check the file’s resolution. It may be very tiny, like 1 ppi. That is often the cause of this problem.

Thanks, Ed. It would appear this is the problem.

When I check Image Size, the pixels are correct (3008×2000 for a Nikon D70 JPEG), but the Document Size is some odd 300000×300000 inches with 1 PPI for the resolution. If I change it to Percent and 100% for both proportions, things seem to work ok.

Any idea WHY it’s opening the image with the weird document size?
MR
Mike Russell
May 29, 2007
"edjh" wrote in message
Mike Russell wrote:
"Eric" wrote in message

Any suggestions?

Good call, ed. Hats off to you.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
E
edjh
May 29, 2007
Eric wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2007 09:08:18 -0400, edjh wrote:

Thanks, Ed. It would appear this is the problem.

When I check Image Size, the pixels are correct (3008×2000 for a Nikon D70 JPEG), but the Document Size is some odd 300000×300000 inches with 1 PPI for the resolution. If I change it to Percent and 100% for both proportions, things seem to work ok.

Any idea WHY it’s opening the image with the weird document size?
Don’t know. It’s an odd glitch that has existed since Photoshop 5.5, I believe. If it happens often you might consider trashing/resetting Preferences.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
NE
nesredep egrob
May 30, 2007
On Sat, 26 May 2007 15:20:31 GMT, (Eric) wrote:

Any suggestions?

Just been thought the same experience yesterday – gave up and re-booted and all is well again. Spent 30 minutes on the damned fault.

Borge in sunny Perth, Australia
S
spamcatcher
May 30, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 08:20:55 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

Just been thought the same experience yesterday – gave up and re-booted and all is well again. Spent 30 minutes on the damned fault.

Using Ed’s information, I think the problem is whipped. Not fixed, but whipped.

Open Image > Image Size
Check the Document size and if it’s screwy, (mine shows up as 300000 inches by 300000 inches with a resolution of 1 PPI change the unit of measurement to percent and the width and height to 100%. Now change the PPI to 300 (or whatever works for what you are doing) and click OK.

Almost there. Now go to the Type Tool icon on the toolbar that shows up after selecting the Type Tool, Right click on the T just below the File and click on Reset Tool. Set font, point size and the other tool adjustments and the Type Tool should now work properly.

Ed mentioned it is a bug in CS2 that, apparently, has never been fixed. The solution is easy enough that trashing all my preferences seems too drastic a fix for what is now a minor hassle.
NE
nesredep egrob
May 31, 2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:48:31 GMT, (Eric) wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 08:20:55 +0800, nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

Using Ed’s information, I think the problem is whipped. Not fixed, but whipped.

Open Image > Image Size
Check the Document size and if it’s screwy, (mine shows up as 300000 inches by 300000 inches with a resolution of 1 PPI change the unit of measurement to percent and the width and height to 100%. Now change the PPI to 300 (or whatever works for what you are doing) and click OK.

Almost there. Now go to the Type Tool icon on the toolbar that shows up after selecting the Type Tool, Right click on the T just below the File and click on Reset Tool. Set font, point size and the other tool adjustments and the Type Tool should now work properly.

Ed mentioned it is a bug in CS2 that, apparently, has never been fixed. The solution is easy enough that trashing all my preferences seems too drastic a fix for what is now a minor hassle.
Thanks – I shall remember if it ever happens again.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections