DR
Posted By
dave r
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just purchased a laptop with xp software. When i start up photoshop it pops up a box saying that all my
memory is on 1 drive and recommends sharing it on other drives. The laptop only has c drive so what should i do?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
SpaceGirl
Jul 20, 2003
Nothing. It’s a laptop, so there’s no second drive fo photshop to write it’s scratch files to. What can help a little is if you partision your drive into two – although this wont have anywhere near the same performance increase, it will have some as you can only allow Photoshop to put data there. A nice unfragmented volume (partision) always helps a little…

"dave r" wrote in message
I have just purchased a laptop with xp software. When i start up photoshop it pops up a box saying that all my
memory is on 1 drive and recommends sharing it on other drives. The laptop only has c drive so what should i do?

S
SpaceGirl
Jul 20, 2003
Defragmention… The Windows volume by its nature is going to be heavily fragmented. By having a big empty volume with nothing except the scratch file, it’ll run a little faster in theory I suppose. BTW, memory doesn’t negate needing a scratch file. I think even if you have a small file open (say, 2-3mb) PS will write a scratch file, even on a machine with loads of (512mb+) ram.

"Stephan" wrote in message
That’s what I heard to but I don’t see how it could help speed wise since you are not going to use the two partitions at the same time. The only thing really helping is having enough memory to not need a
scratch
disk; Knowing that memory is like money: you never have enough of it no matter what.

Stephan

"SpaceGirl" wrote in message
Nothing. It’s a laptop, so there’s no second drive fo photshop to write
it’s
scratch files to. What can help a little is if you partision your drive
into
two – although this wont have anywhere near the same performance
increase,
it will have some as you can only allow Photoshop to put data there. A
nice
unfragmented volume (partision) always helps a little…

I have just purchased a laptop with xp software. When i start up
photoshop
it pops up a box saying that all my
memory is on 1 drive and recommends sharing it on other drives. The
laptop
only has c drive so what should i do?

OB
olivier Borgognon
Jul 21, 2003
moreover, with XP home edition, if you go above 1GB it’ll be a little lost, and will waste a lot of it,
and with the swap disk space management, you’ll find yourself with 1.5-2Gb of swap disk.
I’m on winXP Pro, with 1Gb of ram, and i’m finding myself with 3Gb of swap disk… so just beware of windows a little ;o) … if you’re on a mac you’ll be just fine … i hope ;o)

olivier

"Stephan" wrote in message
That’s what I heard to but I don’t see how it could help speed wise since you are not going to use the two partitions at the same time. The only thing really helping is having enough memory to not need a
scratch
disk; Knowing that memory is like money: you never have enough of it no matter what.

Stephan

"SpaceGirl" wrote in message
Nothing. It’s a laptop, so there’s no second drive fo photshop to write
it’s
scratch files to. What can help a little is if you partision your drive
into
two – although this wont have anywhere near the same performance
increase,
it will have some as you can only allow Photoshop to put data there. A
nice
unfragmented volume (partision) always helps a little…

I have just purchased a laptop with xp software. When i start up
photoshop
it pops up a box saying that all my
memory is on 1 drive and recommends sharing it on other drives. The
laptop
only has c drive so what should i do?

E
edjh
Aug 3, 2003
wandpjacobson wrote:
I would greatly appreciate some help.
Mac user and frequently import photos to iphoto
I use photoshop and often when using a large number of photos the program locks and a box notes that scratch disk is full. Where is it and how do I empty it or make it larger.
Many thanks
Wells
Look in Preferences. That is where you set your Scratch disk location. Check it out in Help or in the manual.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
K
Kingdom
Aug 3, 2003
edjh wrote in
news:UJcXa.139$:

wandpjacobson wrote:
I use photoshop and often when using a large number of photos the program locks and a box notes that scratch disk is full. Where is it and how do I empty it or make it larger.
Many thanks
Wells
Look in Preferences. That is where you set your Scratch disk location. Check it out in Help or in the manual.

Buy more ram or open fewer images

Experience is something you get just after you need it.

============================================================ ============= Walrus Home alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper <=vote here every weekend. weekly entries posted on
http://web.newsguy.com/evilsideshowbob/entries.html
FAQ found at http://members.rogers.com/heretic54/
(The most up to date version is posted in alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper on Mondays and Thursdays. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING)
Walrus websites: http://web.newsguy.com/evilsideshowbob/ For Contest Archives & Artists http://www.weeklywalrus.com ============================================================ =============
N
nomail
Aug 3, 2003
wandpjacobson wrote:

If you only have one hard disk, the scratch disk is that one hard disk, so you cannot make it larger (only create more room by deleting other files you don’t really need any more). If you have more than one disk, you can tell Photoshop to use those other disks as well (or even use them first).

Johan W. Elzenga jwe<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
W
wandpjacobson
Aug 3, 2003
On 8/3/03 4:14 PM, in article 1fz4yoy.2u6iko1l3yr78N%,
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote:

wandpjacobson wrote:

If you only have one hard disk, the scratch disk is that one hard disk, so you cannot make it larger (only create more room by deleting other files you don’t really need any more). If you have more than one disk, you can tell Photoshop to use those other disks as well (or even use them first).
Many thanks for the help. Question please: Is it appropriate to say thanks via the group or should replies be individual?
Again thanks
Wells
TW
Tim Wenzl
Aug 3, 2003
wandpjacobson wrote:

Many thanks for the help. Question please: Is it appropriate to say thanks via the group or should replies be individual?
Again thanks

Send it to the newsgroup. This way, everybody knows that the question has been answered.

Tim
CF
Craig Flory
Aug 3, 2003
Hi ;
On addition to the excellent answers
already given … When opening and / or working on a lot of files or functions…. every so often I use Edit > Purge > All . That will make Photoshop act like normal again. As I find tools & functions slowing down, I use that command & it speeds up again. A caution though …save your work before you do that because everything in your history will be deleted. Craig Flory

"wandpjacobson" wrote in message
Many thanks
Wells
IV
Ivan Vogelius
Aug 4, 2003
I have a short scratch disc Q, so I’ll use your thread:

I have two hard discs, where the non-boot disc is the newer and faster and carries PS scratch disc.

I have read that it is better to keep the scratch disc off the boot disc as PS otherwise will have to compete with the OS, leading to performance loss. However, I have assigned virtual memory to the new and faster disc in Windows (2K). Will this also lead to performance loss? (ie should I force windows to use boot drive only as virtual memory even if it is a slightly slower drive?)

Ivan
N
nomail
Aug 4, 2003
Ivan Vogelius wrote:

I have a short scratch disc Q, so I’ll use your thread:

I have two hard discs, where the non-boot disc is the newer and faster and carries PS scratch disc.

I have read that it is better to keep the scratch disc off the boot disc as PS otherwise will have to compete with the OS, leading to performance loss. However, I have assigned virtual memory to the new and faster disc in Windows (2K). Will this also lead to performance loss? (ie should I force windows to use boot drive only as virtual memory even if it is a slightly slower drive?)

I guess there’s only one answer: Try it and see if there is any noticeable difference.

Johan W. Elzenga jwe<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
LP
Laurence Payne
Aug 5, 2003

Shouldn’t think so. Or very little, anyway.
Try it. Does it?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections