Posted By
Jules
Apr 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody,

I have pictures of maps at different scales.
I would like to join the different pictures into a unique map. But I don’t know how to change the scales of the pictures in order for them to fit into one another and how to join them.

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Jules from France.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
old63
Apr 25, 2007
I had a similar project once.
I cropped the individual files and pasted them into an EXCEL file. This gave me a huge area to work with.
I simply moved them till the roads/rivers connected.
A little bit of cropping and I had a massive file.
Next selected the area I wanted to print and selected the tile feature in the Epson 1290 driver.

Not very technical but a little quick/easy and it worked fine.

Cheers to you
Bonsoir

"Jules" wrote in message
Hello everybody,

I would like to join the different pictures into a unique map. But I don’t know how to change the scales of the pictures in order for them to fit into
one another and how to join them.

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Jules from France.

N
noone
Apr 25, 2007
In article <462f305d$0$27387$
says…
Hello everybody,

I would like to join the different pictures into a unique map. But I don’t know how to change the scales of the pictures in order for them to fit into one another and how to join them.

Can you help me ?

Thank you

Jules from France.

Jules,

Get an idea of how large your final assembly will be. Create a New Image (Ctrl-n) and size it a bit larger than you calculate. Bring in each map onto its own, separate Layer. Find the Scale Rule on the largest map in your array and use that dimension for your next process. Ctrl-T (Free Transform) and Shift drag each Layer, until its Scale Rule matches. Then position the Layers, as they will appear. Ideally, you’ll have some overlap, and you can create a Layer Mask to hide those parts of that Layer. Each Layer can also be corrected for color and density.

It’s not too different from doing a panorama, except for the necessary scaling involved.

You can also calculate the differential in Scale between your first map Layer, and the others, then numerically Scale them as is needed.

Finally, Crop any excess from the Image.

I’d Save many different versions, as I worked, in case I had to go back. Save your final with Layers, then Flatten and Save_As whatever format you need for printing/distribution.

Good luck,
Hunt
J
Jules
Apr 26, 2007
Thank you for your detailled answer, especially the "free transform" part. I didn’t know this function of photoshop and it helped me a lot.

Jules

"Hunt" a
J
jrzyguy
Apr 28, 2007
i personaly would not do this in photoshop…but rather in illustrator or corel draw.

i would get a vector map that is similar to whatever the original looks like…and start tracing from there. You can manipulate your original raster graphic so that it aligns with your vector map….and then work your magic!

now…if you are lucky enough where you source is a vector say a pdf file…you can bring in that as editable format within illustrator…saving lots of time tracing or drawing.

I’ve done this a gazillion times….let me know if i need to be more detailed

jj

"Jules" wrote in message
Thank you for your detailled answer, especially the "free transform" part. I didn’t know this function of photoshop and it helped me a lot.
Jules

"Hunt" a

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections