KD
Posted By
katelijne de wolf
Jul 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
my photoshop program will not start anymore because the scratch disks are full. does anybody know how to empty them? or at least the extension so that i can find it on my computer? so far all attempts were useless!
thanx katelijne

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Jul 7, 2003
Katelijne,

Are you on a PC or MAC? If a PC, then below is what you need to do. If on a MAC, someone who’s a MAC driver should pop in with an answer, as they do things a bit differently.

On a PC, ScratchDisk is an area set aside on your hard drive (usually C:) to be used as a cache area storing working bytes of your program (Elements, in this case). So it’s not something you can "empty" as such. You should keep at least 500mb of freespace on your C: hard drive (more is better) but also you need to regularly Defrag it to keep the cache area all together.

Bob
Z
zia
Jul 13, 2003
Okay, Mac users, how about it?? I have an iBook and have the same problem. my desktop has been rebuilt and indexed, and I am still experiencing the "scratch disks are full" problem…help, please!

zia
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 13, 2003
zia, what OS are you using? System info is helpful, although saying you’ve rebuilt the desktop implies you’re on something before OS X. Clarification would be good, though. Also some hard drive and RAM stats.

Oh, if on OS 9.x, have you tried increasing the memory allocation to Elements?
DF
Darick Frommherz
Jul 15, 2003
I just defraged my hard drive, and have 18GB free space. I STILL get the "Scratch Disk Full" error message. What is going on here?! I am using windows ME.
Z
zia
Jul 18, 2003
Hi, Beth,
I’m highly technically illiterate, so forgive me for neglecting that info! Makes sense, though. Yes, I am using OS9, I have 128mb built in memory, 155mb virtual and, as set in default, the RAM is not on (should it be??). I have tried allocating some more memory. the suggested size is 32768, it’s set at 36768. Forgive the ignorance, but will increasing the memory take care of the scratch disk problem? I’ll feel silly if it’s that easy (and relieved!).

Thanks for your input!

zia
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 19, 2003
I know Macs have a reputation for not needing the same kind of regular maintenance as Windows machines, but… Hmmm. When did you last run something like Tech Tool Pro? Mine is a pretty old computer, and I was having lots of trouble with it. Just before I upgraded some of the components, I decided to "practice" running some of the utilities, knowing at that point I didn’t have anything to loose if I accidentally erased something. A world of difference! I still did the upgrade, but I was impressed with the performance boost I was able to get just by giving the poor thing some attention.

You’d never be sorry you added more RAM, but that may not clear up the problem totally if what you really need to do is give the guy a tune-up. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections