MR
Posted By
Mark Reibman
Jul 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m going to try and have a poster made from one of my photos and if it comes out well I will make it a gift to a few friends and family. It’s going to be a bit pricey so I thought I’d ask your advice on the layout of the photo. Any suggestions for improving it would be appreciated. Is the matting appropriate in color and size? Etc…. What should I do with the copyright?

Here’s the url

<http://www.pbase.com/image/16345992>

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CR
Chris Rankin
Jul 1, 2003
Mark,
I think your photo looks fine the way it is, including the matting.As for the copyright, I’d lose it since you’re giving it to family and friends.

CR
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 1, 2003
Mark, everything looks great except my eye is a little uncomfortable with the black areas…specifically in upper center and far right portion. My eyes want to take the red and white tulips that are in upper left…lower them so there is less green stem and drag them accross the rest of the top….hmmm, maybe a little darkneww showing above them. The colors are fab as well as font and border imo….but i’m no pro.
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 1, 2003
Pete, butter is getting slippery on my chair again. Took me quite some time last time to clean it up…cut it out ! ;))) Glad you didn’t sink. Was beginning to worry about you 😉

Susan, I’ve seen your challenge entries dear. Please except the fact you are extremely talented and quite capable. ;))
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 1, 2003
Mark, it’s a great shot and will make a wonderful gift!!

How big an image (pixel dimensions) do you have with which to work and how large a poster are you considering? Wonder if you’ll need to use Leen Koper’s ‘10% incremental geometric upsampling’ to get enough pixels to ward off unintentional pointillism? Will be very interesting to hear how a digital image does on a mega-enlargement such as a poster.

Chuck
PD
Pete D
Jul 1, 2003
You are welcome. I am high and dry. goodnight all.
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 1, 2003
Pete, please forgive me. Thank You.
MR
Mark Reibman
Jul 1, 2003
Chuck,

The image is from a G2 at full jpeg, not CRW. With the matting the image is 2488×2064 pixels, with 72ppi. I don’t know how I should set the ppi either. I’d like to print the poster at about 24×36. The dimensions showing for the image are pretty close to that already and since they can print any custom size I probably won’t tamper with it. Can you direct me to info on Leen Koper’s 10% upsampling?

I’m also curious to see how it will come out. I’d be extremely pleased if they can come close to recreating what I see on my monitor.

Right Jodi, you aren’t a ‘pro’. However, you’re one heck of a talented non-pro. 🙂

Thank you all very much for your input.
P
Phosphor
Jul 1, 2003
Mark,

Regarding your question of what to do about the copyright, include the notice. It’s not required but it’s free and prevents an infringer from pleading "innocent infringement."

If you’re going to include it, for international reasons, use the copyright symbol. Follow that by the year of first publication (use the full year) and the name of the copyright owner (use your first and last name unless you are the only Reibman on the planet).

Here’s one link you can look at for more info:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/law/copyright/faq/

Regarding the photo itself, I like it just the way it is. Can it be improved, yes. Should it be? It’s organic, organic things are seldom perfect. Make it too perfect and it will look contrived and artificial. And, unless your technique is flawless, it will likely show in that large a print.

It’s a great image, your intended recipients will be thrilled to get it.

Bob
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 1, 2003
Now I’m the expert…..
I’m living in Holland so I ‘m supposed to be an expert when it comes to tulips. 😉 Indeed, there are several hundreds in my small garden.
But I didnot invent the 10% system, just told what I’ve read somewhere before and it works for me. Your image is 2064×2488. At 254 ppi your image size should be 2400×3600 ppi to have it printed at 24×36 cm, so you will have to add some extra cm at the sides.
My way to do this is starting to increase the hight to 2250 and next to 2400 ppi. Next I increase the matting to 3600 ppi.
That’s all.

Leen
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 1, 2003
Leen, I believe Mark wants to print a poster that’s 24 inches by 36 inches, which I believe is something like 60 cm x 90cm. Using 200 ppi as a minimum, he would need to get to around 4800×7200 pixels – is that correct?. Mark, the 10% increment system, if I understand it correctly, involves increasing image size, with resampling checked on, by succeeding increments of 10% until you reach the desired pixel dimensions. It’ll be a big file…..

Chuck
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 1, 2003
Why don’t you all use cm like the rest of the civilised world? 😉

Leen
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 2, 2003
MARK,
I love to give advice to anyone on subjects I feel comfortable with so will renege here and just say "I do like the picture and no matter what the outcome, it should be an eye-cathing poster.
Marty
MR
Mark Reibman
Jul 3, 2003
The poster came out fantastic. The only downside is that it was so expensive. Sometimes the way I spend money, I must be nuts. Apparently if I can reduce the size to 18 x 24 this will reduce the cost considerably. The poster looks very much like it does on my monitor.

Success!

Now to crop it without losing too much of the impact of the photo.
MR
Mark Reibman
Jul 3, 2003
Chuck,

I’m really baffled as to how he did it. He said that he increased the pixels to 150dpi and this is a huge poster. Very little loss of resolution. I don’t know what else he did. I think I was too hyped up to absorb everything he said.

Ugh, I’m still trying to crop the photo to fit into the matted background and come out at 24×18 and it’s not working. Too much gets cut out and the photo loses its impact. I can crop the photo to 24×18 and get most of it but it’s without the matting and words beneath it. It’s just not the same.

I’ll figure something out eventually.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 3, 2003
Mark: If he increased the pixels to 150 ppi, he definitely used some sort of upsampling!

Yep: Cropping is a bummer. I used to try to fill the viewfinder with an image to make sure I maximized the pixels available for printing, but then I learned that doing so took away the flexibility to crop for sizes that have a different aspect ratio than the native 4/3 of the G2. Then I got the 10D with its 3/2 ratio….and it’s worse…gotta crop a bunch off one side to get an 8×10 (would be 8×12 without cropping…)

🙁

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 3, 2003

p.s. Was going to go back and look at your image again, but pbase.com won’t
open….hmmm….
DP
Derek Powles
Jul 6, 2003
Mark, Maybe I am too late quote "Wished I’d asked more questions about this before and saved myself some money."
I noticed a bit of blue on the top edge – once seen will always pull the eye. The white flowers look like narcisii, perhaps too many of them for a tulip picture?? I think I would have removed the solitary orange tulip at the bottom. Others have commented on the upper dark area.
Did you consider cropping out the top down to the orange tulips, losing the pink and most of the white flowers? This would leave a strong orange impact to hold the eye. I find the pink flowers are a little distracting.

Derek

Derek
MR
Mark Reibman
Jul 7, 2003
Derek,

Thank you for your input. I will give them some thought if I tweak this a little more. The blue should definitely go. But that flower turned at the bottom, I really like that. Good comments. Thank you for taking the time to give me your input.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections