MH
Posted By
Mike Hide
Jul 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My son in law keeps sending e mail picture straight off his digial camera . I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always over a meg in size , far too large for my screen.

Is there a way to resize these type of images automatically in outlook express ?? mjh

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
Larry
Jul 19, 2003
if you want something quick and dirty to do that use irfan view, it is free. I use it for rezsizing and compressing pictures for the web

http://www.irfanview.com/

Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

"Mike Hide" wrote in message
My son in law keeps sending e mail picture straight off his digial camera
I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always over a
meg
in size , far too large for my screen.

Is there a way to resize these type of images automatically in outlook express ?? mjh

E
edjh
Jul 19, 2003
Mike Hide wrote:
My son in law keeps sending e mail picture straight off his digial camera . I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always over a meg in size , far too large for my screen.

Rather than resizing them yourself, shouldn’t your son-in-law be resizing them beofre sending them?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
JK
jan karstens
Jul 19, 2003
Anyway, god is with the capital G.
How is your daughter doing?
"Mike Hide" schreef in bericht
I have suggested that, however he is one of those who knows more than god. His answer is that he wants to send "high resolution " images, so
everything
he sends is at 300 dpi or there abouts. From what little I know, and
please
correct me if untrue , I keep telling him when resized to fit most monitor screens the dpi is down to 72 or so dpi and the 300 dpi files is virtually useless unless one is going to print the file .

I have to be missing something some where surely……mjh

"edjh" wrote in message
Mike Hide wrote:
My son in law keeps sending e mail picture straight off his digial
camera .
I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always over
a
meg

Rather than resizing them yourself, shouldn’t your son-in-law be resizing them beofre sending them?

J
jrzyguy
Jul 19, 2003
I agree with craig,

if he insists on keepin the res high….then tell him scale the picture down!!!!

There really should be a miss manners guide to email column.

jj

"Craig Flory" wrote in message
Hi Mike ; I’m a professional portrait photographer and never send
anything
over 72 ppi on the net. he should be saving a large file for himself and making a 72 ppi for friends & relatives. He should also be sizing them
down
to about a 5" x 7" image too since a lot of digital images are wall size straight from the camera. Print this out & show it to him or send it to
him
.What he sends you should never be over 120 kbs in size. Craig Flory

camera
meg

E
edjh
Jul 19, 2003
jrzyguy wrote:
I agree with craig,

if he insists on keepin the res high….then tell him scale the picture down!!!!

There really should be a miss manners guide to email column.
jj

"Craig Flory" wrote in message

Hi Mike ; I’m a professional portrait photographer and never send

anything

over 72 ppi on the net. he should be saving a large file for himself and making a 72 ppi for friends & relatives. He should also be sizing them

down

to about a 5" x 7" image too since a lot of digital images are wall size straight from the camera. Print this out & show it to him or send it to

him

.What he sends you should never be over 120 kbs in size. Craig Flory

camera

meg

Same difference. dpi/ppi is meaningless onscreen. It’s going to display at your screen res no mattre what.

MH
Mike Hide
Jul 19, 2003
She is doing great so is Katie Faye [has to be the prettiest baby in the world]. sorry about God, I should know better .

My sister’s name is Carstens, she is living in Hannover…mjh

mike hide
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

"jan karstens" wrote in message
Anyway, god is with the capital G.
How is your daughter doing?
"Mike Hide" schreef in bericht
I have suggested that, however he is one of those who knows more than
god.
His answer is that he wants to send "high resolution " images, so
everything
please
correct me if untrue , I keep telling him when resized to fit most
monitor
screens the dpi is down to 72 or so dpi and the 300 dpi files is
virtually
useless unless one is going to print the file .

"edjh" wrote in message
Mike Hide wrote:
camera .
I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always
over
a
meg

Is there a way to resize these type of images automatically in
outlook
express ?? mjh

JJ
Just Joe
Jul 19, 2003
Doesn’t Internet Explorer (6+) have a feature that defaults to "on" when you install it that will have an icon appear if you hover over the lower right corner of the image? And if you click on it, it will resize to full screen? ( I’m pretty sure because I turned it off, it got annoying at times)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:32:25 GMT, Al Denelsbeck
wrote:

"Mike Hide" wrote in
news:uW6Sa.95524$:

Nope. But a killfile works pretty well. Go into Tools/Message Rules and create a new rule for your mail: When the message is over a certain size, reply with such-and-such message, and delete from server. Then set a size, say 200Kb, and a reply message that says large photo files are not accepted by e-mail, and can be sent on CD by snail mail.
Anything that exceeds your monitor res is a total waste. PPI ‘resolution’ means absolutely nothing in e-mail or displayed on your computer, period. Only pixel dimensions.

This way, it doesn’t matter whether he wants to learn something useful or not. He simply gets rejected when the file is too big. Sooner or later the message gets across anyway. I have a friend that periodically needs to have the point driven home in such a blunt manner. Works wonders.
Good luck!

– Al.
DV
Dean Van Praotl
Jul 20, 2003
"Mike Hide" apparently said:

I have suggested that, however he is one of those who knows more than god. His answer is that he wants to send "high resolution " images, so everything he sends is at 300 dpi or there abouts.

Well as Dad you have the right to the high road at least once in a while. Tell him you’ve set up a filter that automatically trashes any message from him over some particular size.

Then do it. It’s your computer, and your time.
B
btrgrn
Jul 21, 2003
Actually it’s ppi (dpi refers to dots per inch and is for printing whereas ppi refers to pixels per inch and is for screen) And yes, you essentially are right. If you only want to use the photo’s he sends for screen then tell him that and ask him to reduce the file size appropriately. If, however, you would like to print some of the photo’s he sends, tell him to get a zip utility such as WinZip or somesuch and then he can place several files in a smaller, compressed file to send you to open. It would make life easier for you and him both that way. Especially if one or both of you is on a dial up. I know that at times being on dial up, I have to wait several minutes for a large picture file to download if the person sending it to me has not either compressed it or downsized it to 72 ppi. It gets rather irritating at times when I only wanted to do a quick check of the email and I end up waiting several minutes for a huge picture to come in.

bittergreen

I have suggested that, however he is one of those who knows more than god. His answer is that he wants to send "high resolution " images, so
everything
please
correct me if untrue , I keep telling him when resized to fit most monitor screens the dpi is down to 72 or so dpi and the 300 dpi files is virtually useless unless one is going to print the file .

"edjh" wrote in message
Mike Hide wrote:
camera .
I am not familiar with digital cameras ,but the files are always over
a
meg

TO
Toby OCM
Jul 25, 2003
A breathless hush fell as btrgrn said:
If, however, you
would like to print some of the photo’s he sends, tell him to get a zip utility such as WinZip or somesuch and then he can place several files in a smaller, compressed file to send you to open. It would make life easier for you and him both that way. Especially if one or both of you is on a dial up. I know that at times being on dial up, I have to wait several minutes for a large picture file to download if the person sending it to me has not either compressed it or downsized it to 72 ppi. It gets rather irritating at times when I only wanted to do a quick check of the email and I end up waiting several minutes for a huge picture to come in.

Unlikely to be much point, if the files he’s sending are JPEGs. JPEGs don’t get any smaller when you zip ’em, in my experience.

Sending them at 300 dpi is silly anyway, if you’re going to be printing them on a home inkjet. 200 dpi is fine for domestic use.

Regards

Toby

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections