Resize, Sharpen, SFW action….Need Saving help!!!!!!

AM
Posted By
ark_McMark
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok…..

I have been fumbling around with actions. We require 3 different sized images 400×400, 200×200, and 120×120, adding "lg" and "sm" to the end of the 400 and 120 file names respectively. I have been batch automating each set and am wondering a few things about saving. When I make my Lg img action, It has the following steps: Image size width 400, canvas size height 400, sharpen. Those are the mains steps I need in all my actions, with exceptions to the exact size. What I am having a problem with is Saving for Web. Most of the images we get from vendors are over 300 k in size and need to be under 20k. I want to run an action for each resize that will allow me to save for web. When I add SFW at the end of each action, It does not work save in the correct folder and saves the original and the resized image. I have a sperate SFW action that I run after I do each set of 400, 200, 120 but it asks to replace the existing file. I know I could switch the folder I am saving them too, But It would be easier if I could figure out how to add SFW at the end of each resize action without asking to replace.

What I need: Image Size 400 width, canvas 400 height, sharpen, Save for web

Any links to tutorials on actions? The manual and Evening’s book dont give enough info on this … Thanks in advance. Ark

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GH
Grass_Hopper
Aug 17, 2004
the simplest way is to same the new, resized images to their own directory, then you won’t have the concern about overwriting the original. It sounds as if your actions are not appending the file names to lg, sm etc. I’m not sure how to build that into an action. Maybe someone with more knowledge on actions can give you some direction?

I have a simple resize, SFW action, but the files are saved to a separate directory. It’s no big deal, but if you want it, I would be happy to share it with you.
AM
ark_McMark
Aug 17, 2004
Grass Hopper thanks but if I am understanding you correctly, I would have to cut and paste into seperate folders, which is longer than what I am currently doing. I am presently running each resize action for 300 or so images, they are saved with lg or sm into the folder I select in the automate menu. This is fine. When I try and run an action of just SFW, it ask me to overwrite. I know there has to be a simple way to do run the resize with SFW to the right folder, I am just not understanding, i dont think.

I would like to see your action, if you want to send it to , It would greatly appreciated. Please includer which folder to put it in, I am using ps 7, by the way.

thanks, ark
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
The ODD quirk of the applet "Save For Web" is that it ignores the file name portions of the Automate dialog box.

That means that you cannot add LG or SM to your file names in an automated fashion.

Functionally, you will have to create them in separate folders, as GH suggested, and then you can batch rename them using the File Browser or other such utility.

Peace,
Tony
AM
ark_McMark
Aug 17, 2004
Ok…
I make the action for resize, sharpen and then I save for web with the SFW saving in the "LG" directory.

When i leave "Overide Save as" unchecked, it saves two files within the folder specified within the Action (SFW). Both wrong. The file that is lesser quality-lower Kb, does not have the lg or sm added. The file that does not have SFW applied, does have the lg or sm.

I did have success though!!! I made the action; Resize, sharpen, SFW to the folder I wanted them to go. LG, MED, SM. I run the actions from "open from folder" (or opened files). I pick a folder to put them in and then I check "Overide Save As" I have noticed that I have to pick a folder to put them in even though they are going to be put in a specific folder with the action. Picking the "nothing" option just applies the action to the file and leaves it open. Save and close does both, SAves to the folder you specify within the action AND saves the original with the action applied. YUK.

As of right now, i think I can manage with 3 folders and then batch renaming. If anyone has a better suggest, thanks in advance! ark
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
I have noticed that I have to pick a folder to put them in even though they are going to be put in a specific folder with the action.

This is because the Automate Dialog box does overrides the destination in the SFW action and takes precidence.

IOW, normally, no matter where you tell it to put the file in an action, the Automate dialog will override that provided you have "Override Save As information" checked.

If anyone has a better suggest,

Based on what you’re trying to do, unless you use File|Save As JPG in your action, the way you’re doing it is the best way.

If you use File|Save As JPG (assuming we’re talking about JPG’s here), then you will be able to 1)rename them with the LG and SM in the file name, and 2) you can put them in the same folder from which they came.

But you will lose any optimization settings that are specific from the SFW function; still you can set the amount of compression, etc. and that will be recorded in the action.

Peace,
Tony
AM
ark_McMark
Aug 17, 2004
Yeah, Saving them as jpg, doesnt get the correct optimization. I need them smaller in size without losing so much quality. On the LOW setting , most of my 250k files were only reduced to 19-25k. It looks like the best way to do this is make the individual actions for size and folder and then batch rename and then place all files in the same folder for upload.

…..unless anyone has some magical action knowledge they want to throw at me….

Thanks! ark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections