Posted By
louise
Mar 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK – so I took everyone’s advice about how I have to
calibrate my monitor if I’m going to get accurate prints. I got a Spyder2 Pro.

I’ve spent several hours making different profiles using the RGB setting on my Sony CRT.

My first question is how to use the RGB settings. The Sony offers RGB settings and in the same place, it offers RGB settings with the contrast icon.

So it looks like I can set RGB, RGB contrast and/or both, to achieve even rgb bars on the Spyder.

Should I only use the plain RGB?

And…..what is "luminance" and how do I know what is the right luminance?

Thanks for all your help. Even with all my questions, the prints are already a good better but now I’d like to really get it "right".

Louise

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

M
mirafiori
Mar 21, 2007
So you got a monitor calibrator but it won’t give you good print yet. It just let you have appropriate visual, that mean the right brightness, contrast and color(RGB) of an image displaying on your screen (Assuming you do the right things with your Spyder). Luminance can be referring to the brightness of your monitor or the ambient light falling onto the monitor screen as these will affect the calibration. Read the operation manual carefully on calibration and avoid choosing the auto mode. Advance or preset is more accurate. If you have calibrated with a software calibrator (like Adobe Gamma) before, you should stop this from running by deleting the shortcut in Startup Folder and reboot before calibrating with your Spyder. Not sure about the Sony RGB setting. But if it is the buttons on the front panel, use it to manipulate with the Spyder to calibrate in the advance mode. At the end of the calibration, save this as a profile and this is your monitor profile. Color Management System needs this to interact with other profiles (Printing paper profiles, Color Space profiles, Camera profiles etc.). The print should matches the monitor color closely if your manipulate your application or printing software correctly by choosing the correct profile to interact during printing. The viewing lighting condition for the print is important too. Make sure it matches the monitor calibration standard like color temperature (white point) and luminance.

"louise" wrote in message
OK – so I took everyone’s advice about how I have to calibrate my monitor if I’m going to get accurate prints. I got a Spyder2 Pro.
I’ve spent several hours making different profiles using the RGB setting on my Sony CRT.

My first question is how to use the RGB settings. The Sony offers RGB settings and in the same place, it offers RGB settings with the contrast icon.

So it looks like I can set RGB, RGB contrast and/or both, to achieve even rgb bars on the Spyder.

Thanks for all your help. Even with all my questions, the prints are already a good better but now I’d like to really get it "right".
Louise
L
louise
Mar 21, 2007
mirafiori wrote:
So you got a monitor calibrator but it won’t give you good print yet. It just let you have appropriate visual, that mean the right brightness, contrast and color(RGB) of an image displaying on your screen (Assuming you do the right things with your Spyder). Luminance can be referring to the brightness of your monitor or the ambient light falling onto the monitor screen as these will affect the calibration. Read the operation manual carefully on calibration and avoid choosing the auto mode. Advance or preset is more accurate. If you have calibrated with a software calibrator (like Adobe Gamma) before, you should stop this from running by deleting the shortcut in Startup Folder and reboot before calibrating with your Spyder. Not sure about the Sony RGB setting. But if it is the buttons on the front panel, use it to manipulate with the Spyder to calibrate in the advance mode. At the end of the calibration, save this as a profile and this is your monitor profile. Color Management System needs this to interact with other profiles (Printing paper profiles, Color Space profiles, Camera profiles etc.). The print should matches the monitor color closely if your manipulate your application or printing software correctly by choosing the correct profile to interact during printing. The viewing lighting condition for the print is important too. Make sure it matches the monitor calibration standard like color temperature (white point) and luminance.
OK – so I took everyone’s advice about how I have to calibrate my monitor if I’m going to get accurate prints. I got a Spyder2 Pro.

Louise
I have more clarification – I read the Sony manual 🙂

I can calibrate (in expert mode) using RGB gain OR RGB bias. I don’t understand the difference. Which should I use to adjust the RGB – gain or bias?

Thanks again.

Louise
M
mirafiori
Mar 21, 2007
RGB gain refer to add more to the norm which means a plus value to R,G or B and RGB bias means color cast. But I don’t understand why Spyder 2 pro got this option. The aim is to calibrate to neutral…no gain and no bias.

mirafiori wrote:

Louise

I can calibrate (in expert mode) using RGB gain OR RGB bias. I don’t understand the difference. Which should I use to adjust the RGB – gain or bias?

Thanks again.

Louise
L
louise
Mar 21, 2007
mirafiori wrote:
RGB gain refer to add more to the norm which means a plus value to R,G or B and RGB bias means color cast. But I don’t understand why Spyder 2 pro got this option. The aim is to calibrate to neutral…no gain and no bias.
mirafiori wrote:

Louise

Thanks again.

Louise
The option comes up because Spyder2Pro tells me to calibrate three bars of color (red green blue) and to do so using the controls on my monitor. Spyder wants me to calibrate them to 0 by using the monitor controls.

The controls on my monitor offer gain or bias. And either one will bring Spyder’s bars to 0, but I have a feeling that one is the "right" way and one is the "wrong way".

I’ve contacted Colorvision and they have escalated the
question…….this is an old and pretty sophisticated
graphics CRT monitor and it may have more controls than are usually available now.

Since Spyder is trying to bring my monitor to the right color combo, perhaps bias is the right one?

Louise
M
mirafiori
Mar 22, 2007
I see, so it is the monitor control and not Spyder. Is there an option to disregard the gain and bias? Anyway any setting will do as Spyder will base on the color setting and offset it to neutral and no changing of this setting anymore as the profile calibrated is based on this color setting. If it can’t zeroing the setting by Spyder, that means your monitor is out of the range to be calibrated. Your need a new one.

mirafiori wrote:

mirafiori wrote:

Louise

Thanks again.

Louise
The option comes up because Spyder2Pro tells me to calibrate three bars of color (red green blue) and to do so using the controls on my monitor. Spyder wants me to calibrate them to 0 by using the monitor controls.
The controls on my monitor offer gain or bias. And either one will bring Spyder’s bars to 0, but I have a feeling that one is the "right" way and one is the "wrong way".

I’ve contacted Colorvision and they have escalated the question…….this is an old and pretty sophisticated graphics CRT monitor and it may have more controls than are usually available now.

Since Spyder is trying to bring my monitor to the right color combo, perhaps bias is the right one?

Louise

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections