CB
Posted By
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Another solution is in Internet Explorer go to "Tools> Internet Options> Advanced" Scroll down to "Security" and make sure there is a check box in the "Allow active content to run in files on my computer."

CJ Burianek

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
true that’s a fix, but one that allows malicious web sites to run active x on your system. the REAL fix is to dump IE and use mozilla or firefox.

<http://www.mozilla.org>
RS
rrose_selavy
Aug 17, 2004
… use mozilla or firefox.

I agree. Why use IE when there’s Firefox.

And….from a post on another forum:

So, as an extra added precaution, SP2 sets up a Local Zone Lockdown. An example:

If you are a Flash developer and you preview a movie in IE, the content will be blocked until you either click on the Explorer bar and accept it or you turn off the Local Zone Lockdown. To turn off the Local Zone Lockdown in IE6:

Internet Options / Advanced / Security: "Allow active content to run in files on my computer"

If you go to the same Flash movie on the internet, there is no issue. The movie plays just as expected and without user intervention.

The only content that still requires a proactive decision by the user is when files downloads are involoved or Active-X.

So, the only issues are ones involving local previewing of HTML files containing Active Content. Therefore, the only people really affected are developers. Hopefully, most developers will be smart enough to research and learn about what’s going on instead of panicking or spreading panic – or of using this situation as an opportunity to speak out against active technologies such as Flash, Streaming Media, Java, or JavaScript.

If you already have the Active-X control installed (like the Flash Player) nothing happens. You are only warned when an Active-X control is attempting to install. What’s really cool is an Active-X and add-in manager that quickly let’s you see all installed controls and gives you the ability to disable them individually. You can even disable/enable Flash in seconds.
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
This doesn’t change the settings for active x content from websites just for files you try to view that are on your computer… there is another setting for activex and websites and yet another for content on CD-ROMs…
Yes there are lots of other browsers out there however, many use IE and figured they might like to know another work around…
CJ Burianek
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
Hopefully, most developers will be smart enough to research and learn about what’s going on instead of panicking or spreading panic

(or use mozilla.) 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
This doesn’t change the settings for active x content from websites just for files you try to view that are on your computer…

k. jumped the gun there a bit didn’t i? 🙂
RS
rrose_selavy
Aug 17, 2004
(or use mozilla.) 🙂

With the developers add-in toolbar.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
DOM explorer!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 17, 2004
Dom da dom dom!
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
‘cept that Windows Update only opens in IE. Which is because Bill really isn’t trying to be the Monopoly. He said as much under oath in court, didn’t he? Must be true, then.

Firefox still rocks, though.
GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Aug 17, 2004
Excuse me, but I am a bit thick,

So, if I were in XP Pro and I’d install SP2… would it be the solution to go the Firefox way (developer bar included) or not?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 17, 2004
I don’t even have the "Allow active content…." in the security section….

Hmmmm
B
BobLevine
Aug 17, 2004
If you have SP2, then IE should be secure…for now. FWIW, Firefox is a nice browser, but I still prefer IE.

Bob
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
I don’t even have the "Allow active content…." in the security section…. Lawrence Hudetz 8/17/04 7:37am </cgi-bin/webx?14/10>

Not in the "Security" section

You need to click on "Tools" then "Internet Options" then click on "Advanced" (not "Security") scroll down on in the "Advanced" window to "Security" under security (in the Advanced window) is a box for "Allow active content to run in files on my computer."

CJ
RM
Rick Moore
Aug 17, 2004
Makes two of us, Bob. I gave Firefox a shot but IE is my preference, the fact it comes from MS is irrelevant

Rick Moore
Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects
www.bgkarchitects.com

but I still prefer IE.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 17, 2004
Not really on topic, but anyone interested in XP SP2 who has software additional to Photoshop on their computer might be interested in this

Link
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 17, 2004
CJ, That’s exactly what I did, Advanced, scroll down to Security.

Still no Active content selection to check.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
Dave’s been chanting the Mozilla mantra for quite some time. I installed Firefox last night. So far, a winner in all aspects. I’m a little nervous about anyone and their brother being able to write extensions and themes and the like – from a stability standpoint, but all in all, Tabbed browsing ROCKS.

Sorry folks. Nothing to see here, move along…
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
Hi Lawrence,

If you don’t have the Active content selection to check there is a good chance you don’t have XP SP2 yet.

Go to "Help">"About Internet Explorer"

Look at the Version # the Version # for Windows XP SP2 is "6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158"
Under "Update Versions:" it should ONLY say SP2 This is true for both Pro and Home Windows XP SP2.

If you have 6.0.2800……xpsp2….. this is NOT the full upgrade to Windows XP SP2 this is just Internet Explorer with some of the Knowledge base corrections installed.
Under "Update Versions:" it will say SP1 followed by whatever knowledge base numbers ie: Q#####, Q###### that you have installed

If you don’t have XP SP2 then you don’t actually have new security features in the IE that cause the issue with the help files… and you wouldn’t have the check box under Security in the Advanced section…

CJ
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
I’m a little nervous about anyone and their brother being able to write extensions and themes and the like

don’t download the extentions you don’t want or need (or that isn’t directly linked from mozilla.org). and it’s not really like that. the reason mozilla (and most open source) is so secure is because of the incredible amount of peer review that takes place (on a large scale project like this) before something’s released.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks Dave, that helps.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
de nada!
DN
DS_Nelson
Aug 17, 2004
If you don’t have the Active content selection to check there is a good chance you don’t have XP SP2 yet.

I don’t think Larry even has XP SP0 yet! 😉
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
Actually it isn’t very likely that many have Windows XP SP2 yet… It was supposed to be release to the general public on Monday however it has now been delayed…

"Users with Windows XP Home will be able to access SP2 Wednesday morning US time via Automatic Update, but XP Professional users will not get access until the end of the month.

Microsoft will continue to throttle down all downloads until September, limiting the number of users who can receive the service pack"

From < http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/general/2004/08/17/ge neralvnunet_2004_08_17_eng-vnunet_eng-vnunet_062542_55857566 29589231086.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=>

CJ
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Aug 17, 2004
Right, Dan. I’m on W2K.

That explains everything.

Don’ need no stinkin’….XP!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
some of us are early adoptors (read fools) and have has sp2 within a few hours of it’s release cj. 🙂
B
BobLevine
Aug 18, 2004
Hours? <VBG>

Bob
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 18, 2004
some of us are early adoptors (read fools) and have has sp2 within a few hours of it’s release cj.

Actually, I’ve been a beta tester since February. Hence, why I knew the work around and posted it.

There was/is (?) also an issue with the Adobe Download manager if you buy something from the Adobe Store – I’m not sure if Adobe and Microsoft were able to to fix this or not…

CJ
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 18, 2004
Actually, I’ve been a beta tester since February.

Thou art a grander fool than I! 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections