Mar 2, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I suddenly noticed that when I try and save a photo in
Photoshop 7.0 with save as it always tries to add the
extension .psd to the file and I end up with a file such as: example.bmp.psd

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this. In fact it always adds the .psd extension when saving a photo as any type (jpg, bmp, etc.). You can’t see the added .psd extension uless you uncheck "enable extensions for known file types under folder options. Then when I remove .psd and keep ..bmp it works. But I don’t want to do this each time I save a photo!

I even tried to reinstall Photoshop and it still does the same thing! I’m about at my wits end!!

If anyone has a fix or solution I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,
Calvin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 2, 2007
"Calvin" wrote in message

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this. In fact it always adds the .psd extension when saving a photo as any type (jpg, bmp, etc.). You can’t see the added .psd
extension uless you uncheck "enable extensions for known file types under folder options. Then when I remove .psd and keep .bmp it works. But I don’t want to do this each time I save a photo!

I even tried to reinstall Photoshop and it still does the same thing! I’m about at my wits end!!

Thanks,
Calvin

Try resetting the preferences – to do this press and hold the SHIFT_CRTL_ALT keys immediately after starting photoshop, you will get a prompt asking if you want to "Delete the Photshop Settings File". If you don’t get the prompt, try again, its a bit tricky.

This also works with CS3.

CS3 will edit JPEG files with the RAW editor. Look for the setting in the preferences in photoshop.
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry to say that this did not work though.

Any other suggestions?

Calvin
RB
Rudy Benner
Mar 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry to say that this did not work though.

Any other suggestions?

Calvin

Did the expected prompt appear?

Check to see if the files you are trying to save are perhaps 16 bit (for reasons unknown) you cannot save a 16 bit file as jpeg.
N
noone
Mar 2, 2007
In article , says…

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this. In fact it always adds the .psd extension when saving a photo as any type (jpg, bmp, etc.). You can’t see the added .psd extension uless you uncheck "enable extensions for known file types under folder options. Then when I remove .psd and keep .bmp it works. But I don’t want to do this each time I save a photo!

Thanks,
Calvin

If the file has been manipulated, say adding Layers, then PS will default to PSD (though it now looks like TIFFs with Layers, etc. will stay TIFF – wasn’t always the case). Below the File Name, there is a drop-down, with the allowable file types, depending on the image. If you click the down-facing arrow, this list will give you all of your choices. Choose one, and the file extension for that file type will be postpended to the File Name. Do you not get this drop-down, or its list?

If you have a file type chosen (say, BMP) and you name the file "File0xx.JPG," PS will name it File0xx.JPG.BMP. That’s the way that it works. Just typing in the extension in the File Name box will not change the file type, unless you do so in the drop-down.

Hunt.
TC
tony cooper
Mar 2, 2007
On 02 Mar 2007 01:42:18 GMT, Calvin wrote:

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this. In fact it always adds the .psd extension when saving a photo as any type (jpg, bmp, etc.). You can’t see the added .psd extension uless you uncheck "enable extensions for known file types under folder options. Then when I remove .psd and keep .bmp it works. But I don’t want to do this each time I save a photo!

Just below the box where you assign a file name, or accept the present name, is a box with a drop-down that includes the .jpg format. Click that, and the file will save to .jpg.

However, if there are layers, choosing .jpg will automatically flatten the image.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
T
Tacit
Mar 2, 2007
In article ,
Calvin wrote:

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this.

This happens every time you try to save a file that has layers in it. Windows bitmap (.bmp) files do not allow layers, so Photoshop is trying to protect you from flattening your layers by defaulting to Photoshop format.

If you really want a BMP, choose BMP as your file type in the Save As dialog.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
If you really want a BMP, choose BMP as your file type in
the Save As
dialog.

I chose to save as a .bmp and it still adds a .psd extension to the end.
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
Just below the box where you assign a file name, or accept
the present
name, is a box with a drop-down that includes the .jpg
format. Click
that, and the file will save to .jpg.

However, if there are layers, choosing .jpg will
automatically flatten
the image.

I know all this. I’m saving it as a .bmp and Photoshop still adds a .psd extension to the filename.

The photo has been flattend and it still adds the .psd
extension.
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
Did the expected prompt appear?

Check to see if the files you are trying to save are perhaps
16 bit (for
reasons unknown) you cannot save a 16 bit file as jpeg.

The option of saving a .bmp is not available in 16 bit mode. It’s available in only 8 bit mode.

Photoshop continues to add .psd to the extension.

Thanks to everone for the help, but I still am having problems with this.
T
Tacit
Mar 2, 2007
In article ,
Calvin wrote:

I chose to save as a .bmp and it still adds a .psd extension to the end.

It will only add .psd to the end if what you saved is not a .bmp. It sounds like you believe you are saving a .bmp, but you’re not. Please describe precisely, step by step how you are telling Photoshop to save a ..bmp, and maybe we can figure out what’s going wrong.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
It will only add .psd to the end if what you saved is not a
..bmp. It
sounds like you believe you are saving a .bmp, but you’re
not. Please
describe precisely, step by step how you are telling
Photoshop to save a
.bmp, and maybe we can figure out what’s going wrong.

Ok, this is what I do in steps:

1: I open up a photo in Photoshop

2: I edit the photo (when finish I make sure it’s flat) (no layers)

3: I go to "save as"

4: The "save as" dialog box comes up and I make sure to choose ..bmp in the format drop down list

5: I click on "save"

6: I exit Photoshop and go to where I saved the file to

The file is a .bmp, but Photoshop has added .psd to the end thus making the computer think it’s not a .bmp I have to go to "folder options" and click on "show extentions for known file types" to manually delete the .psd extension then the file acts as a normal .bmp file

For example the file looks like this when I save it in
Photoshop: "Example.bmp.psd"
TB
Tony Blair
Mar 2, 2007
The file is a .bmp, but Photoshop has added .psd to the end thus making the computer think it’s not a .bmp I have to go to "folder options" and click on "show extentions for known file types" to manually delete the .psd extension then the file acts as a normal .bmp file

For example the file looks like this when I save it in
Photoshop: "Example.bmp.psd"

A work-a-round (till someone sorts out the problem!!) in Windows if you just click once onto the file name of the image (in a folder) you should be able to alter its name and delete the .psd part! you might get a dialogue asking if you are sure!!
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 2, 2007
Calvin wrote:

This just happened suddenly! I don’t know what caused this. In fact it always adds the .psd extension when saving a photo as any type (jpg, bmp, etc.). You can’t see the added .psd
extension uless you uncheck "enable extensions for known file types under folder options. Then when I remove .psd and keep .bmp it works. But I don’t want to do this each time I save a photo!

Thanks,
Calvin

If you have layers open it will always default to saving as a PSD, unless you either flatten the image or specifically tell it to save as a BMP or JPG etc.
Just typing the BMP or JPG extension after the file title isn’t sufficient to do this as you need to tell photochop what image compression codec to call when saving the file.
Just below the txt box where you type the file name when saving, you’ll see a drop-down menu. Use this to select teh file type and your problem should be solved.
S
Scott
Mar 2, 2007
Calvin,

Your problem is not a Photoshop issue.
Your problem seems to be in windows operating system.
open windows explorer choose…
TOOLS> OPTIONS (or folder options)
now go to the VIEW tab.
now UNCHECK the box that states: "Hide extensions for known file types"

Now for your lesson in saving files….
Choose "save as"
Now, if your filename is "artwork.bmp" and you choose to save it as a PSD, the file will be named:
artwork.bmp.psd
You must backspace/delete of the ".bmp" in the name itself. Once you do this, your filename will be artwork.psd.

Good luck!
– Scott
email: altglyphics at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
Calvin
T
Tacit
Mar 2, 2007
In article ,
Calvin wrote:

Weird. That’s a problem I’ve never seen or heard of before.

For the sake of simplicity, I’ll assume it’s a legal copy of Photoshop and not a pirate, "OEM," or hacked version. This behavior is pretty weird, but the first thing I’d suggest is deleting Photoshop’s Preferences file and seeing if the beahvior changes.

K
KatWoman
Mar 2, 2007
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
Calvin wrote:

Weird. That’s a problem I’ve never seen or heard of before.
For the sake of simplicity, I’ll assume it’s a legal copy of Photoshop and not a pirate, "OEM," or hacked version. This behavior is pretty weird, but the first thing I’d suggest is deleting Photoshop’s Preferences file and seeing if the beahvior changes.

version 7 works better with 7.01 update
it did have some weird file saving issues (it will give an error saying can’t save file in use in another program) but I never saw that one you described

maybe try the patch then see if it works better
C
Calvin
Mar 2, 2007
To cut a long story short, I’ve tried everything you all have mentioned and still no go. I guess I’ll try a re-install one more time. If that don’t work, I’ll just try and live with it until I restore my hd (which won’t be too long since I haven’t done it in awhile).

Does anyone know the registry values I could delete so I can make sure all traces of Photoshop are gone for my re-install?

Thanks to you all for your time and help,
Calvin
F
Floor
Mar 3, 2007
Calvin:

You are mistaken by ‘save as’ and ‘save optimised as’
In the first case you can give the file an extention, but it really appends ..psd to it.

Floor
TB
Tony Blair
Mar 3, 2007
"Floor" wrote in message news:45e9a7f9$0

In the first case you can give the file an extention, but it really appends .psd to it.

Floor

Not sure what you mean here!

Where does the option ‘save optimised as’ come in?
V
Voivod
Mar 3, 2007
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:54:49 -0000, "Harry Limey" scribbled:

"Floor" wrote in message news:45e9a7f9$0

In the first case you can give the file an extention, but it really appends .psd to it.

Floor

Where does the option ‘save optimised as’ come in?

Only in ImageReady…
F
Floor
Mar 3, 2007
Harry Limey:

Sorry, I thought you were in ImageReady mode. I once had the same problem though that for some reason the file extention stayed .psd After I reinstalled the lot (couldn’t think another solution) it all worked again. Obvious there will be another way to solve the problem, but I can’t help you on that one. I use(d) the MS version of Photoshop CS2

cheers,
Floor
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 3, 2007
Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

Sorry, I thought you were in ImageReady mode. I once had the same problem though that for some reason the file extention stayed .psd After I reinstalled the lot (couldn’t think another solution) it all worked again. Obvious there will be another way to solve the problem, but I can’t help you on that one. I use(d) the MS version of Photoshop CS2

I might be misinterpreteing what you typed, but when did microsoft release a version of photoshop?
V
Voivod
Mar 3, 2007
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:19:19 GMT, "Fat Sam"
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

I might be misinterpreteing what you typed, but when did microsoft release a version of photoshop?

As opposed the version Apple released? Try thinking.
F
Floor
Mar 4, 2007
Fat Sam:

XQ’s me: PC version; but I think u know what I meant $-) Floor
F
Floor
Mar 4, 2007
Voivod:

🙂
He was right; I didn’t put it in the right way…
Floor
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 4, 2007
Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

Neither Apple nor Microsoft released a version.
Adobe released both versions. They just coded one for Windows and the other for MacOS.
Try thinking.
V
Voivod
Mar 4, 2007
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 11:38:05 GMT, "Fat Sam"
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

No shit, Sherlock. ‘Sarcasm’, go look it up.

Adobe released both versions. They just coded one for Windows and the other for MacOS.
Try thinking.

Please, remove head from ass before responding.
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 4, 2007
Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

You obviously don’t understand the concept as you use it incorrectly. Go look it up.

Try thinking.

Hello pot, this is kettle, are you receiving me? Guess what colour I’m thinking of.

Now go away and find yourself a clue.
V
Voivod
Mar 4, 2007
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:26:31 GMT, "Fat Sam"
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

You obviously don’t understand the concept as you use it incorrectly. Go look it up.

I understand it perfectly well. You’re just trying ever so hard to maintain that tenuous false sense of superiority. But hey, if that’s what it takes to get you through your day, you just keep on pretending you got one over on me… woo! Go you!

Try thinking.

Hello pot, this is kettle, are you receiving me? Guess what colour I’m thinking of.

Now go away and find yourself a clue.

Aww, how cute.
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 4, 2007
Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

I understand it perfectly well. You’re just trying ever so hard to maintain that tenuous false sense of superiority. But hey, if that’s what it takes to get you through your day, you just keep on pretending you got one over on me… woo! Go you!

Yeah yeah. <sigh>
And some day, when you eventually become a grown-up, you’ll find you have the maturity to admit when you’re wrong.
V
Voivod
Mar 4, 2007
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:45:46 GMT, "Fat Sam"
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

Yeah yeah. <sigh>
And some day, when you eventually become a grown-up, you’ll find you have the maturity to admit when you’re wrong.

I’ll freely admit when I’m wrong, in this case I wasn’t.
FS
Fat Sam
Mar 4, 2007
Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

Sorry, I thought you were in ImageReady mode. I once had the same problem though that for some reason the file extention stayed .psd After I reinstalled the lot (couldn’t think
another solution) it all worked again. Obvious there will be another way to solve the problem, but I can’t help you on that one. I use(d) the MS version of Photoshop CS2

Yeah yeah. <sigh>

Thank you for proving my point.
Goodnight and goodbye.
V
Voivod
Mar 4, 2007
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:01:50 GMT, "Fat Sam"
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Voivod wrote:
scribbled:

Floor wrote:
Harry Limey:

Sorry, I thought you were in ImageReady mode. I once had the same problem though that for some reason the file extention stayed .psd After I reinstalled the lot (couldn’t think
another solution) it all worked again. Obvious there will be another way to solve the problem, but I can’t help you on that one. I use(d) the MS version of Photoshop CS2

Yeah yeah. <sigh>

Thank you for proving my point.

You had a point?

Goodnight and goodbye.

Leaving? Alas, partings are such sweet sorrow….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections