Posted By
Floor
Mar 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

[Photoshop CS2]
I have this little image of which I intend to cut a rectangular size out of it.
When I come too close to the sides of that picture, for some reason the marquee tool takes the whole picture instead the size I want to cut out. Can you pls tell me how I set a paramater to prevent that? First I thought I could avoid this behavior by setting a grid size, but that doesn’t help…

Floor

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

T
Tacit
Mar 1, 2007
In article <45e63c91$0$6828$>,
"Floor" wrote:

When I come too close to the sides of that picture, for some reason the marquee tool takes the whole picture instead the size I want to cut out. Can you pls tell me how I set a paramater to prevent that? First I thought I could avoid this behavior by setting a grid size, but that doesn’t help…

Hold down the CONTROL key on the keyboard as you drag the marquee to prevent it from snapping to the edges of the image.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
F
Floor
Mar 1, 2007
tacit:

Hold down the CONTROL key on the keyboard as you drag the marquee to prevent it from snapping to the edges of the image.

Great solution, thanks!
Floor
F
Floor
Mar 1, 2007
tacit:

Strange things happen; your solution has worked for an hour; if I now use the control-key, the entire layer moves in Image Ready.
When I do it in Photoshop, same reaction. But now the Shift button does the trick.

Did I do something wrong here?
Floor
N
nospam
Mar 1, 2007
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:22:17 +0100, "Floor" wrote (with possible editing):

tacit:

Strange things happen; your solution has worked for an hour; if I now use the control-key, the entire layer moves in Image Ready.
When I do it in Photoshop, same reaction. But now the Shift button does the trick.

Did I do something wrong here?
Floor

A complete guess, but check your Scroll Lock. It should be off. —

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
JM
James McNangle
Mar 1, 2007
tacit wrote:

In article <45e63c91$0$6828$>,
"Floor" wrote:

Alternatively turn off "Snap to".

Select "View", then "Snap to", then click "None".

This is a poorly designed menu, in that it immediately exits, instead of letting you see the result of your action. So if for example you want to set "snap to" to "borders" and "guides" you have to go through the whole procedure twice, setting one, and then the other.

James McNangle
F
Floor
Mar 2, 2007

L. M. Rappaport:

A complete guess, but check your Scroll Lock. It should be off.

I think I misunderstood; as I use the Windows version of PS CS2, there is no Control key involved (…).
I have to use a weird combination of keys in ImageReady or the shift-key in Photoshop.

Floor
F
Floor
Mar 2, 2007
James McNangle:

Alternatively turn off "Snap to".

Select "View", then "Snap to", then click "None".
This is a poorly designed menu, in that it immediately exits, instead of letting
you see the result of your action. So if for example you want to set "snap to"
to "borders" and "guides" you have to go through the whole procedure twice,
setting one, and then the other.

Yes, you’re totally right. In the Windows version you just got to force RSI before shortcuts work.
I just redifined some PS keys on my PC and now some CONTROL keys work Macwise. Thanks.

Floor
F
Floor
Mar 2, 2007
Hello,

Thanks for helping me out on my question. Next time I will ad a line saying
[PC version].
Understand that there is a lot of difference in shortcuts with both Mac and PC. Allready had the intention of buying a Mac but now I will seriously consider to do so. In the same time I have discovered that key combinations for PC versions are that random (..) that I am not even able to do so with one hand (and yes I have both of them counting 10 fingers 🙂

May Ctrl be with us,
Floor
TC
tony cooper
Mar 2, 2007
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 04:36:56 +0100, "Floor"
wrote:

L. M. Rappaport:

A complete guess, but check your Scroll Lock. It should be off.

I think I misunderstood; as I use the Windows version of PS CS2, there is no Control key involved (…).
I have to use a weird combination of keys in ImageReady or the shift-key in Photoshop.

I use Windows with PS7, and there is a scroll lock. Scroll lock is a function of the keyboard, and not a function of the software or the OS that you are using.

Scroll lock on my keyboard is a key on the F-key row, but second from the far right. My keyboard also has a green LED indicator to tell me if Scroll Lock is on. Your keyboard may be different.

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections