Wade_Gaskins
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I receive the following error

‘error reading file’

when I save a photoshop file as a jpeg format and try to open the file using MS Photo Editor I get this error message. I am new to PhotoShop and any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 16, 2004
When you save your JPG in Photoshop, try using File|Save For Web. Then try to open it in those programs. Does it work then?

Peace,
Tony
WG
Wade_Gaskins
Aug 16, 2004
I tried that and I get the same error.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 16, 2004
Wade,

Do you get the read error only in those apps or is it in PS as well? Does it happen if you use, for example MS Word to read the file?

Finally, step by step, how are you saving? Are you using "progressive" as an option?

Peace,
Tony
WG
Wade_Gaskins
Aug 16, 2004
You can view the jpeg file in PS, but not in other apps. When I try to insert the file into a work document, it comes in as a square with a red X in the middle. I am actually trying to help out a user so I am not sure what "progressive" is and neither is she. She selects File / Save As / and changes the file type to jpg.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 16, 2004
Well, here’s what I can offer.

When you Save As Jpg, you get the option of compression. In that same dialog is also the option to use Progressive. Progressive shouldn’t make a difference, but it may – depending on whether the target application supports it.

If that’s not the issue, you should be using File|Save For Web. That strips out the file so that it is as "generic" as it can be, depending on the settings you choose in that applet. Point is, there is nothing wrong with PS natively that would cause what you’re reporting. It is either a User Error or the apps you’re trying view it in don’t recognize standard JPG (unlikely).

Unless we know exactly what you’re doing, step by step, including all options chosen, there’s not much more to add. <shrug>

Peace,
Tony
L
LenHewitt
Aug 16, 2004
Wade,

Make sure the file is in RGB colour mode

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections