MS
Posted By
Michael_Savage
Aug 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I calibrate using Adobe Gamma, I save the profile. How come I cannot choose that profile for the RGB working space in the colour settings? The profile saves as an ".icc" file but I can only load a ".csf" file in the colour settings. I guess my question is what is the difference between the two files and how can I use my monitor calibration in an RGB workspace in PS CS.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GS
Gustavo_Sanchez
Aug 16, 2004
Michael,

You should not use your monitor as a working space. You should use a general purpose RGB space like Adobe RGB or something similar depending on your kind of job.

The monitor profile is just used for the software to display the images as accurately as your monitor can get (and that depends a lot on ‘can get’ as well on your visual abilities as Adobe Gamma is just a visually driven thing).

Gustavo Sánchez

(Posted from Spain)
L
LenHewitt
Aug 16, 2004
Michael,

How come I cannot choose that profile for the RGB working space in the
colour settings?<<

A .csf file has a lot more than one icc profile in it. It contains references to:

Your monitor profile
Your RGB working space
Your CMYK working space
Your profile-mismatch handling preferences
You choice of colour engine.

IOW, it sets ALL your CMS preferences.

Whilst you could nominate your monitor profile as your rgb working space, you don’t want to! An editing space needs to be linear, and your monitor space will not be.
MS
Michael_Savage
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks for the answers.

Now suppose I purchase monitor calibrating software and set up a fairly accurate monitor profile, how can I utilize that monitor profile in photoshop so that the colour I see are fairly accurate. I understand that this opens an enormous can of worms about colour management workflow. This is something I would like to eventually implement so if anyone can direct me to some information regarding setting up a colour managed workflow it would be much appreciated.

TIA
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 17, 2004
Michael,
Start here, <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_1.htm> .

🙂

Brent
L
LenHewitt
Aug 17, 2004
Michael,

If it helps you in any way here is my short "idiot’s guide to CM" <g>

The numbers in an image file do not represent specific colours. For example, 100R, 0G, 0B just means "make the brightest, most saturated red you can". It doesn’t mean a specific SHADE of red, and the red that will result will depend upon the capabilities of the device the data is being sent to (usually either a monitor or printer of some sort).

Only when coupled with an ICC profile that describes the ‘colour space’ do those numbers represent a specific shade.

There is data in a file. That data doesn’t represent specific colours UNTIL the colour space is stated (embedded profile or assign profile).

The working profile sets up the colour space you are working in, and the embedded profile allows the CM engine to convert the file data values to your working space values so those values still represent the same colour as originally indicated by the file data and embedded profile.

The monitor profile alters that data from your working space on the fly to allow the monitor to display the colours represented by the data within the working space profile.

When you print, the output profile alters the data to allow the printer to reproduce the colours represented by the data and the image profile.

The monitor profile effectively drops out of the equation when you print.

Provided the ‘translation’ from working space to monitor is correct AND the translation from working space to output device is correct, the print will match the monitor.

However, only if the translation from embedded profile to working space is also correct will the monitor and print also match the original file intentions.

For a fuller explanation, spend some 15 minutes or so over at http://www.computer-darkroom.com
MS
Michael_Savage
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks Len,

Great explanation! It is a little clearer now.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 18, 2004
You’re very welcome, Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections