PD
Posted By
Paul Deverson
Jul 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder whether anyone has had a similar experience to mine. I use a Fuji S2 Pro and produce RAW files which I process using Fuji’s EX converter. I find the software clumsy to use and so purchased Photoshop’s RAW converter.

Whilst I find the interface of PS-RAW much better, the quality of the conversion is noticeably inferior. I do mainly architectural work and the crispness just isn’t there. (I should add that I convert without any sharpening and use USM last).

I read that Fuji uses special software because of the hexagonal configuration of the Super-CCD. Is it possible that PS isn’t really compatible?

Paul Deverson.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
Don
Jul 18, 2003
"Paul Deverson" wrote in message
I wonder whether anyone has had a similar experience to mine. I use a
Fuji
S2 Pro and produce RAW files which I process using Fuji’s EX converter. I find the software clumsy to use and so purchased Photoshop’s RAW
converter.
Whilst I find the interface of PS-RAW much better, the quality of the conversion is noticeably inferior. I do mainly architectural work and the crispness just isn’t there. (I should add that I convert without any sharpening and use USM last).

I read that Fuji uses special software because of the hexagonal configuration of the Super-CCD. Is it possible that PS isn’t really compatible?

Paul Deverson.
I think it’s more likely that the Fuji software applies sharpening and/or contrast enhancement automatically. Most camera manufacturers’ software does. If the PS RAW converter was doing it wrong, you would almost surely get a scrambled result, not just one which was not sharp.

Don
PD
Paul Deverson
Jul 19, 2003
Thanks for this, Don, but I don’t think it’s the answer. I shoot and convert without any sharpening. Any sharpening is done in PS’s USM and it’s done right at the end.

Paul.

"Don" wrote in message
"Paul Deverson" wrote in message
I wonder whether anyone has had a similar experience to mine. I use a
Fuji
S2 Pro and produce RAW files which I process using Fuji’s EX converter.
I
find the software clumsy to use and so purchased Photoshop’s RAW
converter.
Whilst I find the interface of PS-RAW much better, the quality of the conversion is noticeably inferior. I do mainly architectural work and
the
crispness just isn’t there. (I should add that I convert without any sharpening and use USM last).

Paul Deverson.
I think it’s more likely that the Fuji software applies sharpening and/or contrast enhancement automatically. Most camera manufacturers’ software does. If the PS RAW converter was doing it wrong, you would almost surely get a scrambled result, not just one which was not sharp.
Don

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections