N
Posted By
nalatalb
Feb 19, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am puzzled by the Gamut display on CS 2 when printing on my Epson 1280. I haven’t turned it on for a long time, but when I do so, most of the images from my Nikon Coolpix 8800 show over-gamut elements, and when I reduce the contrast they disappear. Then the image looks and prints lousy. I have my monitior calibrated with Monaco Gamma and the printer set to print with the ICM for Epson ColorLife paper and several others that I can choose. Despite the gamma warnings, I get very good prints automatically with these settings. I use a Testrip plugin when I want to see color and darkness options. I was under the impression that the CS Gamut display indicated when you wouldn’t get good prints, What is is set for, newsprint? Can you reduce the sensitivity?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Feb 19, 2007
"talbnesor" wrote in message
I am puzzled by the Gamut display on CS 2 when printing on my Epson 1280. I haven’t turned it on for a long time, but when I do so, most of the images from my Nikon Coolpix 8800 show over-gamut elements, and when I reduce the contrast they disappear. Then the image looks and prints lousy. I have my monitior calibrated with Monaco Gamma and the printer set to print with the ICM for Epson ColorLife paper and several others that I can choose. Despite the gamma warnings, I get very good prints automatically with these settings. I use a Testrip plugin when I want to see color and darkness options. I was under the impression that the CS Gamut display indicated when you wouldn’t get good prints, What is is set for, newsprint? Can you reduce the sensitivity?

Yes, by default the gamut warning is set to CMYK SWOP, which is for newsprint. There are situations where the gamut warning is useful, but this is not one of them.

It is possible to set up the soft preview option for your Epson profile, which might give you a more accurate warning for out of gamut colors. I have never been a fan of soft proofing. Few people understand how to use it, and it winds up being a source of confusion.

I would recommend that you ignore the whole issue. If your prints look good, why change the contrast or saturation?

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections