RB
Posted By
Robert_Baron
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m on a standalone Dell P4 running Win XP Pro and PS CS v8.0.

I open File Browser and arrange it to my liking…preview window size, number of thumbnails visible and so forth…and then go Window->Workspace->Save Workspace and name it in the dialogue box.

I then open an image to work on; finish; go back to the file browser and it is no longer arranged up the way I left it; in particular, my preview window has shrunk back down and I am seeing five columns of thumbnails instead of my preferred two.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix or workaround? I did an faq and knowledge base search and didn’t find anything that looked relevant.

Thanks,

–Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 12, 2004
doesn’t happen to me, unless i’m changing desktop resolutions or have a monitor off or on in between photoshop sessions. i have multiple workspaces for single and dual setups at all resolutions that i use.
S
salmagundi
Aug 12, 2004
Happens to me all the time.

Win 2k Pro, Intel P4, Matrox G550 video card.

It is OH SO aggravating!
S
salmagundi
Aug 12, 2004
Not to mention how nice it would be to be able to drag the file browser to a 2nd monitor. I haven’t been able to get it to work.

Main monitor resolution stays at 1280 X 960.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 12, 2004
Not to mention how nice it would be to be able to drag the file browser to a 2nd monitor

I’ll second that! (for the 20th time!)
RB
Robert_Baron
Aug 12, 2004
Well, salmagundi, that’s two of us – how many does it take for this to be officially declared a bug?

😉

–Bob

(Further aggravating factor: I had just read about how this is _supposed_ to work in Martin Evening’s book ‘Adobe PS CS For Photographers’ and was very eager to use it.)
S
salmagundi
Aug 12, 2004
The worst is that when you go back the file browser has reduced itself in size and you have to click the square to get it to fill the screen again and then drag the thumbnails back to a small number on the right every time. I prefer 1 column of thumbnails, with all the other folders tabbed except having a small amount of the metadata available at the bottom of the screen. The view of the selected file shows up well that way.

I have named the setup and saved it over and again.

What video card are you using, Bob?
RB
Robert_Baron
Aug 12, 2004
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200.
S
salmagundi
Aug 12, 2004
So that’s not it.

We’re both using the Pro version, but different OS. Both have P4, and both using PSCS. Not a lot to go on.

Has no one else mentioned this? It’s been a pain since I first began using CS.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 12, 2004
have you tried either 1) saving under a new workspace name, or 2) resetting the photoshop prefrences? (instructions are in the FAQ)
S
salmagundi
Aug 12, 2004
Both.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 12, 2004
I once restored my preferences file from a CD-R, completely forgetting this sets the R/O flag.

Rob
RB
Robert_Baron
Aug 12, 2004
This is more than just aggravating; it costs me a fair amount of time.

Being somewhat new here let me ask: is there a way to present this problem to Adobe tech support for a definitive answer?

–Bob
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Aug 13, 2004
I have 5 workspaces saved and use two or three every day and they always stay like I have them saved day in day out for months.

One is a Light Box the other a Light Box with preview an other 2nd Monitor the others are for slideshows and one is for the palettes on the main which I use for screenshots for tutorials.

Matrox G400 a very outdated card but I love it.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Matrox G400 a very outdated card but I love it.

Seconded. Mine’s in it’s third computer right now. <g>

Bob
S
salmagundi
Aug 13, 2004
I’ve only tried to save a couple of different setups for the file browser and they are what won’t hold.

I’m not having any problem with my palettes retaining location on my second monitor.
RB
Robert_Baron
Aug 13, 2004
salmagundi writes:

I’ve only tried to save a couple of different setups for the file browser
and they are what won’t hold. I’m not having any problem with my palettes retaining location on my second monitor.<<

That is my situation exactly. The File Browser workspace will not save, although it is, so far as I can tell, definitely supposed to.

–Bob
RB
Robert_Baron
Aug 27, 2004
Update: after gnawing on this problem I bit the bullet and called tech support. After we went through it for a while the tech said he couldn’t reproduce the problem but he believed it was quite likely related to the fact that I have a dual monitor setup.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections