HD
Posted By
Hiland_Diva
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I spent about 5 hours last night creating a pretty large-sized collage from scanned photos. I flattened the image once I was totally finished, saved the file, and went to sleep. I created this thing in Photoshop! When I woke up this morning, I found that all 5 hours of my hard work was for nothing as I couldn’t open the large file. The error message tells me that there’s an irregular or invalid JPEG marker. How is this possible when I created it and saved it with the same program I’m trying to open it with? Even better… WHAT CAN I DO?

If anyone has any advice (aside from starting over), please help me. I have to have this project done no later than tonight as it has to be overnight-mailed no later than tomorrow! I’m really freaking out here and don’t want to start over if it’s just going to happen again.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to be a hero right about now… :-).

– Arlene

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JM
John Mensinger
Aug 10, 2004
From one of many threads on the same subject:

Theresa Henderson – 05:58am Jul 7, 2004 PDT (#13 of 13)

This may not work for everyone. But in order to edit the image Select File – Open As. Set Open AS to TIFF *.tif. File should open. Fix problem and resave. It’s how we finally got our ".jpg" files to open. They were sent to us by someone. Even though they had a .jpg extension photoshop was recognizing them as Tiff files. (No idea how they were created. But they were huge files).

If that gets your file open, do not resave as JPEG.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 11, 2004
Arlene,

Two possible causes:

1) The file is NOT saved in JPG format although it has a .jpg file extension. Set your Windows explorer options to view file extensions for registered file-type and see if the file has "two extensions" as in "filename.tif.jpg". If so, rename the file by removing the .jpg and try then to open in Photoshop

2) It is a JPG -format file but it is corrupt. Try opening in another application (If in RGB mode even your web browser would do) and if it opens re-save from that application.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections