Posted By
BobLevine
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DE
david_evanson
Aug 9, 2004
That’s the easy bit (and surprisingly fast I expected the servers to be maxed out) – but now I have downloaded it just need the courage to install it. I think I will do some more reading first especially on the firewall configuration, and maybe wait for the braver (foolhardy?) souls to try it first.
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
My advice…Don’t. Although every other program works fine, Premier Pro (either 1.0 or 1.5) now will not load with SP 2. It never gets past the initial title window. Of course, PP 1.5 has been out for more than 90 days, so their is no free help available from Adobe. Has anyone else gotten PP to run with SP2?

BTW, my PC is pretty "white bread" (P4, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HD, NVidia 5900 video card, Audigy sound card) so I doubt that it’s my specific configuration. I’ve never had any trouble with PP before. I’ve tried a repair install of PP 1.5 and a clean uninstall/reinstall. I don’t have any 3rd party plug-ins installed. Other Adobe products (Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign) run fine.

Basically, when you run PP and look at the Windows Task Manager, PP is using only a few % of the CPU. The HD light flickers for a bit, then stops. The program (PP) is tuck in some kind of loop and you can’t even kill the PP task with the Task Manager. You can continue doing anything you want from Windows or run any other program with no problem.
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
I’ve experimented a little further, since the load gets stuck at the CompilerVFW.prn plug-in. If you delete this plug-in, the load continues further and then stops at ImportVFW.prn. If you delete that also, the load completes, but PP displays an error that there are no valid editing formats (Not too surprising, since it needs VFW). I’m guessing there’s a conflict with DirectX 9.0 C and the PP VFW plug-ins.
DE
david_evanson
Aug 13, 2004
Have you tried switching of the Windows Firewall? Although the only program I have tried so far that needed adding to the exceptions list was GoLive CS. But I did get a prompt from the firewall when I started the synchronisation with a remote site.

Another cause could be the Data Execution Protection (see link). But I would have thought you would have seen an error message when the program tried to load.

< http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875352&pr oduct=windowsxpsp2kb>
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
David,

Thanks for the suggestions. Turning DEP off for either PP or everything except essential Windows programs/services had no effect. Turning the Windows firewall off has no effect either. There’s really no other workarounds to try, since 1) PP will not run in safe mode (eliminating the possibility of checking the video driver, which is NVidia’s most recent WHQL version 61.77) and 2) nor can I install the program on another PC (because of the new Adobe copy protection). I should not that PP worked fine prior to installing SP2, so I doubt that it’s the video driver.

I’m still putting my money on a bug in PP related to DirectX 9.0C, or something similar.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Have you checked the Premier forum?

Bob
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
Yep. I’ll check again now, but I can’t imagine that there isn’t one other person with PP 1.5 or 1.0 who hasn’t also downloaded XP SP2.
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
Just checked again. Still nothing. The only reason I posted here was that this was the only thread in all the Adobe forums that had a reference to SP2.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
You’re the first to post any problem anywhere that I’ve check that’s having a problem with any Adobe app.

That’s not to say isn’t the cause, but there may be something else at play here.

Bob
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
And you’re absolutely correct. I uninstalled every other program that has audio and video codecs and Premiere now loads fine. There’s an unrelated thread in the PP forum regarding the PP demo. Apparently the demo exhibits the same problem for a few people and the solution was to judiciously remove codecs until PP would run. SP 2 must have rearranged the priorities of the codecs, causing the problem.
B
BobLevine
Aug 13, 2004
Now you need to reload them one at time and figure out which one is killing Premier.

Bob
JB
Jay_Bloomfield
Aug 13, 2004
I think I’ll wait until some other A/V program stops working. Everything that I uninstalled, I can live without for the moment. Much of what I uninstalled came for free with the DVD burner and I rarely use those programs anyway. It proves that there’s no such thing as a free lunch. 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections