Sean Kerslake
Jan 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

[PS7 and CS2]

Is there a way to change the default file type when I choose to Save As?

I produce alot of .gif and animated .gif images for webpages via cropped screen dumps, so its very annoying having to change the file format in the save as dialogue box everytime [as it doesn’t default to the previous save as format]

Any ideas/work arounds gratefully recieved.

[I not interested in doing batch conversions]

Sean

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RG
Roy G
Jan 15, 2007
"Sean Kerslake" wrote in message
Hi,

[PS7 and CS2]

Is there a way to change the default file type when I choose to Save As?
I produce alot of .gif and animated .gif images for webpages via cropped screen dumps, so its very annoying having to change the file format in the save as dialogue box everytime [as it doesn’t default to the previous save as format]

Any ideas/work arounds gratefully recieved.

[I not interested in doing batch conversions]

Sean
Use "Save for Web"

Roy G
T
Tacit
Jan 17, 2007
In article <eoftad$ob$>,
"Sean Kerslake" wrote:

If you have layers in your file, the default Save As format will not be GIF for a very simple reason: GIF can not save layers. The Photosop engineers wisely decided that the default format in Save As should never be a format that causes you to lose data.

You should not be using Save As to save a GIF anyway. Use Save for Web instead. You’ll get better control, and the saved image will not contain metadata such as thumbnails and color profiles, which will make the file larger.

Greater control over the color table + greater control over compression options + smaller files + better previews = great reasons to use Save for Web, not Save As. 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections