MR
Posted By
Melody_Ross
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I launch Photoshop 7 (which I’ve never had problems with before), the splash screen comes up and it starts to go through its set-up, but shortly after loading the brushes everything disappears and I’m back to my desktop.

I’ve heard that if you type something when the splash screen is up, it will reset the initialization process. Does this sound right? Does anyone know what to type?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BCC
Aug 4, 2004
Sounds like a corrupt font or filter. Installed any lately?

Greets, BCC
G
graffiti
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Reset the preferences is what you’re after.

Info at: LenHewitt "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 6/23/04 1:05am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
MR
Melody_Ross
Aug 4, 2004
I tried the Shift+Alt+Control, but it didn’t work. Any other suggestions?
B
BobLevine
Aug 5, 2004
What didn’t work? You didn’t get the screen asking if you want to trash your prefs or trashing them didn’t work?

Bob
MR
Melody_Ross
Aug 5, 2004
Nothing changed. It still showed the program cycling through its different set-up phases and then it all disappeared. Nothing different happened when I pressed Shift+Alt+Ctrl. I tried it several times at different points throughout the run through.

I also tried looking for the Preference file so that I could delete it–apparently that also works–but maybe because I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, I couldn’t find it.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 5, 2004
Uninstalling PS doesn’t clear the preferences file. It will still be there and block PS.

You have to be very quick with those keys on start-up, and you must have ascreen pop-up asking your permission to reset preferences.

Either that or delete the file manually.

Pretty sure that will clear your problem.

Rob
B
BobLevine
Aug 5, 2004
As Rob pointed out, you need to be real quick. Get those keys pushed before the splash screen comes on.

If you want to delete the files manually, make sure that you can view hidden files in Windows Explorer.

Bob
MR
Melody_Ross
Aug 5, 2004
Thanks so much everyone. I finally had to track down the preferences file and delete it manually–keying in the Alt+Shift+Ctrl didn’t work.

Thanks again!
DH
Douglas_Harrison
Aug 16, 2004
I did the alt-shift-ctrl Deleted preferences file but still got msg about preferences file being deleted then CS closes.HELP
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 16, 2004
Douglas,

I did the alt-shift-ctrl Deleted preferences file

Yes, but did you get a dialog window asking if you’re sure to delete the file?

When you press those buttons and nothing happens then nothing has happened…

Otherwise delete the preferences file maually. (FAQ)

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections