is Photoshop Elements 5 a close alternative to Adobe Fireworks?

P
Posted By
Paul
Dec 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to find a lower-priced alternative to Adobe Fireworks. How does the functionality of Photoshop Elements 5 compare to that of Fireworks?

I am more familiar with Fireworks but at first look, Photoshop Elements appears to have as much functionality as Fireworks, I just need to learn to use it.

Many thanks for your input!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MR
Mike Russell
Dec 2, 2006
"Paul" wrote in message
I need to find a lower-priced alternative to Adobe Fireworks. How does the functionality of Photoshop Elements 5 compare to that of Fireworks?
I am more familiar with Fireworks but at first look, Photoshop Elements appears to have as much functionality as Fireworks, I just need to learn to use it.

Not really – Elements is a subset of Photoshop. Fireworks is currently the way to go for web-centric graphics. You can make do with ImageReady, a far second to Fireworks, which ships with Photoshop.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
TN
Tom Nelson
Dec 5, 2006
Elements has only limited vector image. It can open .eps files and has its own canned scrapbook-oriented shapes. It can optimize photos but has nothing for making web sites (except for the Web Photo Gallery feature).
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography
W
wdieteri
Jan 18, 2007
If you are mainly looking at a cheap graphical painting program I would look at GIMP http://www.gimp.org/

As others have said they are different products, I use both PE 5 at home and Fireworks at work, and when I have photos I use in both places I keep add them into my PE catalog and do some based editing and then use fireworks to get them ready for the web.
Paul wrote:

Many thanks for your input!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections