Posted By
Tim_Francis
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I am running a AMDK71000mhz, 800mb RAM, Windows 2000 and have been noticing of late photoshop 7.0 is very delayish. Thought it may have been windows holding things up, but after a clean reinstall of windows Photoshop still seems to be very slow. I am waiting sometimes up to a minute or two while I wait for 100k image windows to become active (when I have a few images open on screen/clicking between image windows)

Now I have 80% as my maximum available ram for photoshop (697MB) and have tried various scratch disk settings, at present I have a drive (not containing photoshop) with 8GIG free as my scratch disk.

I suspected that my CPU might be on the way out, but then if that was the case I would have other programs behaving in a similar fashion, which is not the case.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice on how to fix this problem, would be much appreciated.

PS( I have updated with 7.0.1 patch.)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 4, 2004
Tim,

Sometimes this behaviour is network related. PS may try to access a (network) printer that isn’t there, or not properly configured.

Where exactly is the delay? with opening an image? Is it also sluggish on other things like on a filter, or while saving.

Is there excessive HD operations? If so, Windows may be smashing back and forth virtual memory.

First: was it ever alright? then trash your PS preferences (FAQ above)

And try a lower memory allocation for PS (try 50%). see if that makes any change.

Rob
TF
Tim_Francis
Aug 5, 2004
Hi Rob,

Yeah it is doing it whenever I need to copy and paste, click between windows etc. Filters etc are ok. When it does it, the screen /windows become frozen, and say i tried to use paintbrush on 6 various spots on the screen nothing will come up, but when It comes out of its freeze, it quickly draws those 6 spots, as if it would normally.

Ill try your suggestions and let you know.

Thanks Mate.
TF
Tim_Francis
Aug 6, 2004
Hi Rob, still no good. I do have a small network setup here. I’m back down to %50 on the memory allocation and my preferences have been trashed. Any other suggestions?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 7, 2004
Tim,
Your pc is doing somthing in the time it looks frozen. Can you check Windows "Task Manager" to see what is running? Is the processor busy there?

I still think the network environment has to do with it. Try to disable whatever printer is there in device manager.

Do you have an older HP scanjet flatbed scanner? these had a "button Manager" running resident. This utility was intended to "push" a scan from the scanner, rather than "pull" it in from an application.
If so search for HPSJBMGR.EXE and rename it in DOS, and reboot.

The key remains that the pc desperately tries to fullfill a command and times out on it.

Rob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections